Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st April 2017, 18:33   #21
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Not a good deal.

You take the money, you buy a new car on finance, it loses the two grand as you turn the key for the first time, then you pay £400 per month for the privilege of having a new plated car for six months. That said, I'm in favour of all polluting Diesels and Petrol cars being scrapped. I want it to also apply to filthy old buses and trucks, I then want to see newer aircraft in the skies, a lot of the aircraft up there are over thirty years old and, a major reason why our Summers are getting worse.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 18:58   #22
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

None of my cars will be going anywhere.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 19:32   #23
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
Until that strange hissing sound from escaping steam and boiling coolant breaks the calm
Nope, I did the head gasket on this car as a preventative measure, and I know what I'm doing
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 19:57   #24
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige B View Post
Maybe not yourself but others may well be tempted.
A fool and his money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
My dad weighed in his old, battered Cavalier under the last scrappage deal. I shopped around and found that he could still have saved money by just not trading in at all on a new car (20% discount at the time offered). It may still be the case now???
Some examples HERE.
Mike
QED. (not meant as a dig at your dad - just to say it's easy to hoodwinked by things that seem good on the surface).

And on that subject why would I swap my mid-sized comfy saloon for a tinny underpowered uncomfortable compact? Where would * put all my gear when I go on holiday etc...? On the roof? or pull a trailer? both of which would severely effect the economy of whatever it is? To buy a new car that could compete I'd be looking at £36 - £49 thousand pounds! £2k trade in on the old motor isn't going to convince me - even if you add another £500 a year to the running costs of the current vehicle. Besides, since when did motor vehicle enthusiasts rate their vehicle purely on ownership costs? Most restorations of old vehicles end up costing more than the vehicle is worth when finished as it is.

Save
Save
Save

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 21st April 2017 at 20:00..
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 19:58   #25
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Just come back from the pub, sat in Gilbert in my Cowley cdt, listened to some sixties music, and caressed the walnut steering wheel and thought I love this car, and if I end up just keeping it in my garage and stopping its unnecessary scrappage that will do for me, I the hope that common sense will prevail in times to come, but Gilbert the mighty Rover is staying with me.
Westonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 20:16   #26
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Of course, the other side is that, as already suggested, a scrappage scheme may artificially raise the value of the diesel cars and as I'm now averaging less than 20 miles a week and we still have the 1.8T tourer.....

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 20:20   #27
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

Yes Brian I agree you know what your doing but the 1.8 curse can strike anywhere, anytime and anyone.

BTW Im selling my 190 and buying a gross polluter before there all gone!

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 21:11   #28
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

What ever the government do it is a mere drop in the ocean, even if we all drove the most environmentally friendly vehicles available it will have little or no effect on the environment.

The aircraft you get on to go on holiday puts more CO2 into the atmosphere in that one trip than your car will do in its entire life. Then you have economies like India, China and the like that have little or care of what they are putting into the environment.

Then you have the US, well if we all lived like the average US citizen we would need 22 planets.

Sorry to sound negative on the latest environmental saving campaign but it is to little to have any effect.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 21:23   #29
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I'm sure I read somewhere that if you took ALL the older diesel cars off the road you would only reduce NOX levels by 20 % ...
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 21:33   #30
Nige B
This is my second home

honda civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere that if you took ALL the older diesel cars off the road you would only reduce NOX levels by 20 % ...
something similar was quoted on some programme or other ..20% of pollution down to diesel cars etc etc ...ten someone replied keep the diesels and scrap everything else ...

Nige B
Nige B is offline   Reply With Quote