Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th April 2017, 07:30   #11
PaulE
Regular poster

MG ZT 135+ (04), MG ZT-T (06), Rover 75 (01)

I originally bough a scrap CAT C Rover 75 with front impact damage. Easy to get the parts, learned a lot about the fuel pumps and engine in the process. Fun car to work on. So much so, we did it again with a 75 auto tourer for my Dad. This one had a ripped out loom (traffic cone driven over and ripped out from the off-side front wheel arch!).
I passed on my 75 and bought a newer 54 plate MG ZT saloon this time all high line. Spent ages upgrading the sound system. Had to do injectors and high pressure fuel pump... but it worked fine for 6 weeks until it was sadly involved in a 15 car motorway shunt...(we had all stopped when the car in front lost control, but a chap in a white van decided to plough straight through the middle of rows of cars in an attempt to convert us all to Minis... ). Anyway I had to buy another car whilst arguing a buy back from the insurance company (she runs like a dream, had rear quarter panel cut and welded, painted and detailed and is now my wife's car!).

However.. I decided to make the next car.. a Jaguar X Type. Do not ever do that. I don't know what I was thinking. I should have read the forums. It was a disaster from day 1. A shake at 50 mph, and failure of the ABS module. ECU only accessible by one good garage... countless car electronics companies and a jag garage tried and failed. 2 sets of injectors in 3 years. A bottomless pit of cash and depression, right up to last week when it FINALLY died again (injectors, high pressure fuel pump... etc).

It's done and I'm back... I need an estate for work and a car that can tow our new old caravan. I toyed with a 53 Range Rover and a Volvo XC90 and XC60... But aside from tge additional driving test to tow and cost to run... forums highlughted very expensive oncoming maintenance. And, well, it's just not a Rover 75 or MG is it??
My 06 plate MGZT-T in silver is coming next week. I've bought a tow bar for it, they're fixing the lack of oomph and white smoke on acceleration.. a first for me to turn down a deal and get them to do the work (wife tells me it needs to work from the off... something about needing to be reliable for our new baby on the way?!) Lovely Condition. I'm glad to be back. Never leaving again!
All diesels by the way!

Paul E.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 14:30   #12
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post

However.. I decided to make the next car.. a Jaguar X Type. Do not ever do that. I don't know what I was thinking. I should have read the forums. It was a disaster from day 1. A shake at 50 mph, and failure of the ABS module. ECU only accessible by one good garage... countless car electronics companies and a jag garage tried and failed. 2 sets of injectors in 3 years. A bottomless pit of cash and depression, right up to last week when it FINALLY died again (injectors, high pressure fuel pump... etc).
It's effectively a tarted-up Mondeo, so not designed from the wheels up by Jaguar. Full of compromises to allow Ford to get Jaguar into the 3-series market slot.
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 15:56   #13
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
there's not a car on the road that does not have common issues.
If you want a shock, have a look at B*W forum. Oh dear.
Old 25th April 2017, 16:09   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshirelad View Post
It's effectively a tarted-up Mondeo, so not designed from the wheels up by Jaguar. Full of compromises to allow Ford to get Jaguar into the 3-series market slot.
Which (the Mondeo) happens to be one of the most competent upper-medium sector cars around for the money, especially as an estate!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 15:27   #15
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

UPDATE.
I've now had the E270 estate for 8 1/2 months and 10,000 miles. In that time it has been a pleasure to drive. It is rock solid on the road, corners flatter the the 75, is quicker and slightly bigger.
It also has some very nice touches that I like and some things I don't.

I like:
* the rear load cover that lifts out of the way automatically when you open the rear hatch.
* interior trim that doesn't fall apart.
* smooth auto box.
* fantastic brakes (more on those later).
* clever interior lights.
* and a few other nice things I can't remember just now.
I don't like:
* 2 tyres at £250
* the engine isn't half as smooth or quiet as my 75CDT
* the fact that the pedals, steering wheel and seat are not in line.
* 40mpg instead of the 50mpg I got from my 75.
* the constant thought that the fantastic braking system pump(remember that from the previous list) could go at any time and will cost £1,300 to put right.

Will I revert from Merc to Rover? I'm not quite sure yet. I need to drive a 75 again for a few mile to decide that one, and mine isn't road worthy.

PS: since buying my 2 owner, FSH E270 I have (because it needed them):
* replaced both front wheel baring, £55 gen MB.
* replaced the duff thermostat, £50 gen MB.
* replaces 4 front suspension joints, £270 non gen MB.
* oil and filters c£60, non gen MB.
* transmission ATF and filter change £200 (done at indie garage).
* front and rear brake pads c£50, non gen MB.
* 2 rear tyres, £250 Michellin Cross Climate.
Best MPG on a long trip 48 one way.
Usual MPG on a long trip 44.
Usual tank full 40.

Last edited by jonathan63; 21st December 2017 at 15:34..
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 19:21   #16
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I agree with MSS, my Rover, in the last 10 months has had new clutch, shannon tube, n/s suspension arm, copper brake pipes front to back, new exhaust, temp sensor, thermostat, coil pack ht leads & plugs, door seals, Jules plenum guard, Jacking point cut out and welded, waxoiled and full service. Should now last for another 6 years +. Next job, providing nothing else goes wrong is body work & re spray. This car is a keeper!
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 19:41   #17
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A friend runs a Skoda Octavia, I could fill half a sheet of A4 with the problems he has had with it, he purchased when it was several months old with next to no miles on the clock.

Once all the initial problems were sorted it ran perfectly until it needed the software update for the emmisions that VW got into trouble with. On the way home he turned around as he could not believe how bad it had was, gutless and it uses a lot more fuel. Apparently once updated it can not go back to the old state of tune.

The other day he turned up at mine in a loan car, the Skoda was booked in for a service with the dealer and that involved a service on the gearbox at several hundred £'s. Once done it would not move under its own power, the dealer can not get it going. The cost of a new gearbox is several thousand as it is now out of warranty. He is actully thinking of scrapping it as the cost of repairs will probably cost more than it is worth as teh car is now nealry 5 years old.

His advice to me NEVER buy a Diesel Skoda with an Auto gearbox.

He reckons the dealer is very helpful but the car is rubbish.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 19:44   #18
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbr View Post
Similar story here, a driveway full of rover/ mg rover products and my 2008 merc e220cdi is no less immune to being an old car and playing up, judging by merc forums often in quite expensive ways.
I just love your driveway its super impressive...can I come visit... lol

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 20:23   #19
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A friend runs a Skoda Octavia, I could fill half a sheet of A4 with the problems he has had with it, he purchased when it was several months old with next to no miles on the clock.

Once all the initial problems were sorted it ran perfectly until it needed the software update for the emmisions that VW got into trouble with. On the way home he turned around as he could not believe how bad it had was, gutless and it uses a lot more fuel. Apparently once updated it can not go back to the old state of tune.

The other day he turned up at mine in a loan car, the Skoda was booked in for a service with the dealer and that involved a service on the gearbox at several hundred £'s. Once done it would not move under its own power, the dealer can not get it going. The cost of a new gearbox is several thousand as it is now out of warranty. He is actully thinking of scrapping it as the cost of repairs will probably cost more than it is worth as teh car is now nealry 5 years old.

His advice to me NEVER buy a Diesel Skoda with an Auto gearbox.

He reckons the dealer is very helpful but the car is rubbish.

A mate well connected with the Blue oval, gave me similar advise about Mondeo’s ..

Told me to buy a 75/ZT or E Class when I was looking round in 2012. Ended up with the Contemporary Se, it’s been a cracking car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 22:21   #20
timspencer
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT

Be wary of jumping ship to a merc or X type, they have major rust issues, the jag especially is a real “rotter” (google x type and rust and you’ll be stunned) and the diesel is unreliable and unrefined compared to the 75!
timspencer is offline   Reply With Quote