Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th April 2017, 20:19   #11
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Just like to say that if I was another road user in a 20mph zone I don't think I'd be very happy that you might be driving with feet off doing your best not use the brakes.
Which is worse, the car looking after your speed and holding it steady, or you constantly having to check your speedo and correct your speed?

No need to drive 'feet off', but with the car itself taking control of your speed - you can relax, applying more of your attention on the road and its hazards.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 20:41   #12
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
I was allegedly clocked doing 25mph around where I live.
This was last November at 17:45pm (so it was dark).
We have..ahem pink things with curly tails around here on motorbikes & they tuck themselves away & setup a camera on a tripod.
First time for me in 37yrs of driving, got offered the driving course (which of course I took).
The point being, there were others there that got caught doing 24mph.....allegedly!
My understanding (and I am happy to be correctted) is that the tolerance for speeding is 10% of the speed limit in force plus 2mph which maybe why at 25mph you were processed.

Everyone has an opinion of this but for me at least I use my cruise control a lot either in town in 30mph zones or on A & B roads and motorways through the 40, 50, 60 and 70 mph limits and find it invaluable. A simple flick of the steering wheel control disengages it as does using the clutch or brake pedal. I find it takes one variable out of the equation and allows me to concentrate on my surroundings rather than the speedo
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 21:31   #13
hortonds
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer Automatic

Indeed ... and mine is an auto. Also, not much braking in a 20mph zone because I'm usually the only one sticking to the speed limit. But all you do is set the speed and cover the brake which is (strangely) safer as your response is quicker.

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
hortonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 11:49   #14
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

If you have a trip computer dash fitted (high line?) then you can set the "speed limit" at whatever you want (in 5MPH steps). When you exceed this speed the car will bong at you and display a warning on the dash.
(I have mine set to bong at 30)
I know, not the cruise option, but a different way to make you aware of your speed.
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 12:08   #15
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Which is worse, the car looking after your speed and holding it steady, or you constantly having to check your speedo and correct your speed?

No need to drive 'feet off', but with the car itself taking control of your speed - you can relax, applying more of your attention on the road and its hazards.
You should maybe Re-acquaint yourself with being able to judge your speed to a reasonable degree of acccuracy without having to continually refer to the speedometer. (just practice) - one check should be all it needs. Nice to know that you are still concentrating on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb750chris View Post
If you have a trip computer dash fitted (high line?) then you can set the "speed limit" at whatever you want (in 5MPH steps). When you exceed this speed the car will bong at you and display a warning on the dash.
(I have mine set to bong at 30)
I know, not the cruise option, but a different way to make you aware of your speed.
Chris
There is that, but it's a pain when it keeps going off when on the dual carriageway - the temp disable only works up to a point. The other thing is it goes 'bong' when you exceed the set limit, but not 'bing' when you drop back below - you still have to look away from the road to check if you've dropped enough speed.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 25th April 2017 at 12:09.. Reason: Bing and Bong :D Great animated series
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 12:31   #16
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
My understanding (and I am happy to be correctted) is that the tolerance for speeding is 10% of the speed limit in force plus 2mph which maybe why at 25mph you were processed
My point being that you will get done if you're caught doing 27mph & under (in answer to the post I replied to), prosecution starts at 24mph.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 12:50   #17
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
My point being that you will get done if you're caught doing 27mph & under (in answer to the post I replied to), prosecution starts at 24mph.
Just to note once again that you should really not be surprised if you get prosecuted or ticketed for any amount over the speed limit. It's a limit, not a starting point for some arcane calculation that you need to go through or memorise the result of for each limit that you pass through. Granted there's often a little leeway given that won't result in enforcement it shouldn't be relied upon.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 13:07   #18
Forestgreen
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6 saloon

Agree cruise at 30 can mean better awareness of surroundings whilst covering brake.

So to return to the OP question - can the bottom limit be reduced to 20mph or not via T4 or other processes? This could be useful to those of us who live in cities with widespread 20mph areas.
Forestgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 13:17   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Just like to say that if I was another road user in a 20mph zone I don't think I'd be very happy that you might be driving with feet off doing your best not use the brakes.
where did this post come from? I have not seen a previous post about not using the brakes
macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 13:21   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestgreen View Post
Agree cruise at 30 can mean better awareness of surroundings whilst covering brake.

So to return to the OP question - can the bottom limit be reduced to 20mph or not via T4 or other processes? This could be useful to those of us who live in cities with widespread 20mph areas.
I think I have asked in the past and was told no

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote