Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th March 2017, 18:04   #1
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Replacement speakers

Hello peoples. My 75 has the Harmony unit fitted with the 8 (or is it 6?) CD player in the boot. Now it's dry, everything works fine. I am going to fit my parrot mki9200 in it shortly so I can do the blutooth thing. Ultimately, I want a new touchscreen lovliness from Sean, but I also think that sometime in the not too distant future, I may swap the car for a ZTT or a 75 tourer as I miss my estate and the handiness that came along with it.
No point putting a clever and awesome unit in if I don't keep the car for long. BUT...at the moment, it sounds like my bottom! Only less bassy. And less responsive. Not bothered about loudness at all, I detest hearing that horrible thud of morons driving around with their windows rattling, but I do like quality.

So, after all that non-interesting preamble, any ideas what cheap but effective speakers I can replace the present speakers with? I presume the majority of the rubbishness of the sound is due to rubbish speakers, but again, don't need to put in vastly expensive speakers without Sean's touchscreen dribblesomeness to go with it. I've seen the HK door tweeters, but do they make much difference? The door speakers are much bigger and much more poo to my ears, both front and back.
Other than going in Halfords and listening to their speakers, I know nothing about them. Ask me about guitar amps and I know my stuff, but other than that....

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 18:45   #2
sponge_mike
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Automatic

Get a VOX AC40+ - best little amp on the planet

Mike
sponge_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 18:47   #3
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

PM Coolcat (Geoff) he's an ICE expert on these cars and will point you in the right direction.
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 20:56   #4
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_mike View Post
Get a VOX AC40+ - best little amp on the planet

Mike
When I were at Uni, I actually ran my stereo through my Marshall stack. It sounded really Marshall-y! And loud! Students eh? Who'd want to live next to them?

Thing is....I wouldn't know how to power the Vox or a Marshall up in the car, as tempting as it may be.
Old 30th March 2017, 21:45   #5
sponge_mike
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arryhall View Post
When I were at Uni, I actually ran my stereo through my Marshall stack. It sounded really Marshall-y! And loud! Students eh? Who'd want to live next to them?

Thing is....I wouldn't know how to power the Vox or a Marshall up in the car, as tempting as it may be.
Good one

Mike
sponge_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 13:17   #6
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

My experience of this with the original speakers (non HK) is that the Harmony sounds like it's coming at you through several layers of tissues but has more bass, Symphony's are great for voice and 'lighter' music - in fact if you get the balance right and listen to Radio 4 in the morning you almost expect to see John Humphries sat on the back seat when you look in the rear view mirror - bass is non existent though. The Double din units have more bass, more settings to fiddle with and the sound is a bit better for a lot of music but they lack the clarity of the Symphony.

Just my opinion though - better speakers are the way forward.
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 20:06   #7
podge
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer CDT CLUB SE Copper Red Mica Dec 01 ....now deceased....replaced by2003 Royal Blue T

A few years ago when I fitted a Symphony unit,I remember taking the unit to bits and soldering a little circuit board inside.It boosted the output at certain frequencies and made a huge difference to the sound.I will try and do some Internet digging and find out what it was.

B.M.Ws loss........OUR GAIN!!!!!!!!
http://knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/...arp.300pix.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/3...b847e1c5_m.jpg

Last edited by podge; 31st March 2017 at 20:14..
podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 21:31   #8
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Unfortunately, my system is a Harmony, which I think is the lowest spec unit they fitted, Played with the bass and treble and front and back and I just can't get it to sound decent. It's okay, and sounds better the louder it is, but it doesn't sound good. Figure speakers are the initial step to improvement. Then the head unit later. But did a googles search for speakers....how many million hits?
Old 31st March 2017, 22:24   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arryhall View Post
Unfortunately, my system is a Harmony... Played with the bass and treble and front and back and I just can't get it to sound decent.
The Harmony has a 'loudness' circuit which was never utilised. Send Gert a PM. One of his contacts managed to activate it and I heard how good a Harmony can sound when they came over to the UK for a tour of the Longbridge factory. He might be able to work some magic for you.

Simon
Old 1st April 2017, 14:49   #10
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
The Harmony has a 'loudness' circuit which was never utilised. Send Gert a PM. One of his contacts managed to activate it and I heard how good a Harmony can sound when they came over to the UK for a tour of the Longbridge factory. He might be able to work some magic for you.

Simon
Wasn't this for the Symphony rather than the Harmony?
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote