Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th September 2015, 08:09   #1
Lazyhound
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Water in Rear Offside Footwell

Hello Everyone - this is my 1st message as I only joined yesterday!
I am now the proud owner of 2 weeks of my first ever Rover (04 2.5V6 Tourer) and the car is beautiful - however after a torrential downpour yesterday I noticed water in the rear passenger foot well on the drivers side, collecting at the drivers seat-belt anchor point.
I have checked all the Plenum holes in the bulkhead and although the middle one below the pollen filter was blocked the area was dry.
Have got a sunroof fitted so any ideas would be much appreciated.

Regards
Lazyhound
Lazyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 08:29   #2
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Good morning Simon, welcome to the club.

Im sure you have done this already but have you had a good look around the rubber door seals on the drivers side doors. They are easy to damage if caught. Depending on how the rain was falling it may have found a way in and collected in the footwell. I did have a problem with the seals not sealing which in my case was giving a lot of wind noise. A smear of silicon grease around the rubbers revitalised them and just about eliminated the noise.

I'm not sur about the sunroof drains but have an idea they drain down the A pillars. If its only the rear footwell that's damp I don't think it would be that, although I may well be wrong......
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 08:45   #3
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

When I had wet carpets pn the passenger side of my previous Rover 75 it was the sunroof drain behind the glovebox. The two sections of drain pipe had seperated. May not be the source of the leak you have, but I thought I would post a link up so you can check and repair if required.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=118622
Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 09:30   #4
Ken Lion
Gets stuck in

R75 2.0 CDT Club SE Tourer

As Nev (Clyde) says above, front nearside sunroof drain is the likely culprit and the link he posted to Actic's blow by blow account on how to fix it will help you sort it.

Even if it's just the front nearside that's the problem now, you'll probably need to sort all 4 drains as soon as you can and the link covers all of them.

But the front nearside is do-able in less than 2hrs even by a butter-fingers like me (30mins to someone experienced) and is nothing like as daunting as you might think as you read through it.

The latter part of Arctic's fix involves trimming the flattened 'duck-bill' ends of the lower part of the drain tubes which poke out into the wheel arches (you have to peel back each wheel arch cover to get at them).
My advice would be to do that first because that's where the build-up of debris is likely to have occurred. This alone won't solve your problem if the two halves of the drain tube have separated behind the glove box but may buy you some time with the other drains which have not yet separated.

Also, on no account should you 'rod' the drains from above unless it's done as part of the fix process because, as I found, in doing so you would probably cause the separation of the tubes in the other three corners.
Ken Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 13:40   #5
shaunscully75
Avid contributor

none at the moment

I'd be getting underneath and checking that the plenum drain rubber nozzles are still in situ, if there's just a hole then what's happened is that some previous owner hasn't realized that the plenum floor is a double skinned affair, they've pulled out the nozzles to increase water flow but water then gets under the plenum floor and into the cabin. Fills up the rear footwells after it's saturated the foam beneath the carpets..
shaunscully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 13:51   #6
chris65
Avid contributor

mg zt-t

Default water in rear footwell

Hi,had the same problem,sunroof drain blocked,follow Arctics how to,then spend the next month drying the carpet out!,you won't believe how much water is in there.
chris65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 16:48   #7
Mike24
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Auto Saloon Connoisseur SE

Not wishing to add to the list of places to check, but when I got mine I lifted the rear seat and found water underneath (the car dealer had obviously mopped the water out of the spare wheel compartment, which I checked before buying the car). This can then slop forward during braking and make the rear carpet wet. In my case the main culprit was the rear light seals; these often part company at the bottom allowing water into the boot, and from there into the passenger compartment. The seals can be superglued back together and then reinstalled with vaseline or silicone grease. A further (but much smaller leak) was from the clips holding the rear window seal in place. This leak was cured with a product called Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. There have also been reports of problems with the boot seal, the vents at the bottom of the rear wings, and the clips holding the chrome strips onto the rear wings. If the leak is from a single source you may count yourself fortunate!
Mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 17:33   #8
Ken Lion
Gets stuck in

R75 2.0 CDT Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike24 View Post
Not wishing to add to the list of places to check, ... In my case the main culprit was the rear light seals; these often part company at the bottom allowing water into the boot, and from there into the passenger compartment. ....
It's a tourer Mike so no rear light seals but no doubt the other points are valid.
Ken Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 19:00   #9
bigblue75
older not wiser

75 Tourer

Hi and welcome Simon, sorry for asking this here- not trying to hijack the thread. Mods please remove if I am wrong to post this here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunscully75 View Post
I'd be getting underneath and checking that the plenum drain rubber nozzles are still in situ, if there's just a hole then what's happened is that some previous owner hasn't realized that the plenum floor is a double skinned affair, they've pulled out the nozzles to increase water flow but water then gets under the plenum floor and into the cabin. Fills up the rear footwells after it's saturated the foam beneath the carpets..
The plenum nozzle beneath my ECU was missing when I got the car and the pollen filter showed evidence of water being trapped at some point... I assume a previous owner removed the nozzle to prevent refilling BUT this may be why my nearside rear footwell was soaked and the side impact sensor on the passenger side kaput.

Have got the carpet dry over the last month and would like it to stay that way.
Is there a way to replace a missing nozzle if I can get hold of one? also, Can a side impact sensor be tested before fitment?
bigblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 19:10   #10
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

When I bought my first 75 the salesman told me Rover put water in the rear foot well in case I need to top up the radiator.
Never needed to use it but reassuring that Rover thought of everything.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote