Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th March 2024, 17:04   #1
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts
Default Nonstarter

A puzzler. For the first, time my car failed to start. Never failed before – regularly serviced all its life.

About a month ago, filled up at Tesco’s, paid at shop, back to car - non-starter. After several tries at longer intervals, and not wanting to drain the battery, I called the AA. The queue for the pumps was lengthy and causing much embarrassment. AA turned up in about 30 minutes, yes - amazing. He turned the key, it started. I’m sure I could hear the cheers as I left, eyes firmly fixed ahead.

Now it’s happened again and in the same place. The sympathetic grins from the cashiers, no smiles, were pointed. Called the AA again, different chap this time, who lifted the off-side rear seat squab and said that he thought the reason for the failure to start was probably the fuel pump. He turned the key and it started.

The car then went to a highly regarded local service station first thing yesterday. Phone call today and they said they could find no fault but would keep it overnight and try again in the morning. They also said ‘what a nice car, if you decide to sell it give us a shout’.
Any ideas?
Old 26th March 2024, 17:17   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Fails to start after a journey but when car cools down then starts smacks to me of s failing Cam Sensor which the garage would not pick up on. This sensor tends to fail when hot and start working again when cooled down.

Same for the crank sensor BUT a failing crank sensor would cause cut outs and non starts (also no flicker on the rev counter when you turn her over) - you are describing just non starts after a journey then starting does point to my mind to a failing Cam Sensor which will only cause non starts .

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2024, 18:00   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Mine did this on my kv6. Off and on starting from hot quite a few times till replaced. however that is not the norm as suggested. Not an expensive item, and easy to do yourself , could save a lot of cash at the garage.Have you ever had this item replaced before wraymond ? ... they normally need doing on highish miles if your lucky .. !!
xsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2024, 18:01   #4
johnnyb44

Rover 75

I had a similar problem with mine about 8 years ago whilst towing the caravan.We travelled down to the Brecon Beacons and stopped off briefly to get some supplies at a supermarket.When I returned to the car it wouldn't start.
Not knowing what the problem could be we popped into the caravan to have a cup of tea and a good think about what were going to do.40 minutes later I tried it again and it fired up straight away.
After we got back from our trip away I popped over to Jules in Colwyn Bay and he knew instantly what the problem was.It was the cam sensor at fault.
Apparently it's just a magnetic sensor and when it gets hot they lose there ability to pick up the position of the cam.This of course only happens when the sensor starts to fail.When the faulty sensor cools it works again.
I can only imagine they lose there magnetic forces the warmer they get on a failing one.
From what I understand they only used for when you start the engine,so if it is faulty the engine will not cut out once it's running
Old 26th March 2024, 19:08   #5
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanks chaps, had visions of my pension damages. I'm supposed to pick up the car tomorrow, let's see if the trade picks up on it. Am now taking bets....
Old 26th March 2024, 19:55   #6
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

Those are classic symptoms of camshaft sensor failure on the V6. I had exactly the same, researched it on here, replaced the sensor and no problems since. The job is not difficult, but it is a bit fiddly.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2024, 14:21   #7
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

I'm told the correct sensor is the one with the loom attached rather than without the loom. Are there any of 'our' suppliers who can supply one? I'm sure there would be a place in Heaven for this, although of course I can't guarantee the music.
Old 28th March 2024, 14:33   #8
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

They are on E bay - see below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315159748...E1CX20643RPNWD

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2024, 16:14   #9
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Many thanks Martin.
Old 28th March 2024, 20:52   #10
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Thats an excellent price for both sensor and lead ray. Plus another £6.17 off the price if you order and put the discount code in by clicking the link further down on the right hand side......
xsport is online now   Reply With Quote