Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th April 2011, 09:03   #1
mcgregorj

ROVER 75

Default Rover 75 Non-starting

Hi,

the other day my petrol 1.8 (53 plate) Rover 75 refused to start. Plugs are sparking but are dry, so fuel getting to the engine seems to be the problem. After reading some of the posts on here, thought it may be the fuel filter coming apart so exposed and hand-tightened and seems to still be working (when hose disconnected - as fuel comes out nozzle). Pump also seems to be working as filled up with 2 gerry cans and the RHS tank looks empty (pumped over to LHS?).

Any other ideas? I've ordered the FOC so will fit this and see if the problem was the filter coming loose again once the hose re-fitted and torqued up, but what if it still doesn't start?

Any helpful advice would be gratefully received.
Jim
mcgregorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 12:39   #2
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

2012 Honda Oddessay and 1996 Ford Ranger Truck (Splash)

Cam Sensor? Try this thread... Click Me

Edd
Old 28th April 2011, 13:42   #3
mcgregorj

ROVER 75

Thanks Mr Edd. Although I was advised that as the plugs are sparking ok then it wouldn't be the cam sensor???

Cheers
Old 28th April 2011, 15:53   #4
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

2012 Honda Oddessay and 1996 Ford Ranger Truck (Splash)

Well I am not really sure about this hopefully some one can confirm it or put us right anyway...

I think the cam sensor sends a signal to the computer telling it when to fire the spark. So you maybe getting a spark. but is it timing correctly?

Sorry if this is stupid but working with a dim light from my torch in the dark recesses of my memory

Edd
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:35   #5
mcgregorj

ROVER 75

ok, tightened the fuel filter (which was definitely out of alignment) and fitted the orange clip. Went to re-try starting and the engine still doesn't fire!!

On checking whether the fuel coming out of fuel filter (by disconnecting the fuel hose at filter outlet), nothing coming out when ignition started. Completely baffled now. Checked that the engine end ok by spraying fuel in and engine does fire so must be a problem with fuel getting to there from the filter.

Why would fuel not pass through filter when I'm sure it's fitted nicely together now? I'm unclear on the configuration between the LHS and RHS tanks; is there also a pump fitted to the filter assembly?

Somebody please help!!!!
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:01   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I'd say you've displaced the filter cap O-ring. Did you remove the cap for a peek at the filter by any chance?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:24   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Can you hear the pump running when you turn on the ignition but don't try to start the engine ???
Your first post said fuel was coming out of the filter and your subsequent post said it wasn't. It must be something you have done that has stopped it working !!
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:58   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Edd View Post
Well I am not really sure about this hopefully some one can confirm it or put us right anyway...

I think the cam sensor sends a signal to the computer telling it when to fire the spark. So you maybe getting a spark. but is it timing correctly?

Sorry if this is stupid but working with a dim light from my torch in the dark recesses of my memory

Edd
Yes cam sensor can give timing for sparks to ECU, but only as a get you home measure in the event of crank sensor failure on the KV6 engines. If this happens the engine will run at reduced revs and will not restart if stopped. With the engine running normally the crank sensor gives the timing info for the injection and sparks, and the cam sensor synchronises the cam shafts to the crankshaft at start up so as number one cylinder comes up the ECU knows whether it is on its compression or exhaust stroke.

On the four cylinder K series petrol engines and also the diesels all the cam sensor does is synchronise the cam to crank position so if you then lose the crank sensor the engine stops.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 2nd May 2011 at 23:27..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 07:46   #9
mcgregorj

ROVER 75

when you say o-ring, do you mean the rubber gasket type ring at the top which seals the assembly before torquing?

didn't remove the cap to check the filter and didn't notice any ring other than that and the metal band around the lower portion. Should there be a thin rubber ring between the upper and lower parts of the filter casing - if so this could be my problem as there was none there!
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:34   #10
1309doug

Rover 75 saloon 1.8 se con

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgregorj View Post
when you say o-ring, do you mean the rubber gasket type ring at the top which seals the assembly before torquing?

didn't remove the cap to check the filter and didn't notice any ring other than that and the metal band around the lower portion. Should there be a thin rubber ring between the upper and lower parts of the filter casing - if so this could be my problem as there was none there!
I had the same problem so fitted the orange clip and started first time. There was a thin rubber ring to seal the top housing to the bottom housing.
See picture below and hope this helps.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...p+chris&page=4
1309doug is offline   Reply With Quote