Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th September 2009, 20:36   #1
markhowell
Regular poster

Rover 75 CTDI Tourer Auto

Default ZCS codes-why you should have them!

The purpose of this post is to alert all owners to the need to acquire their car's ZCS codes and keep them safely.
WHAT ARE THEY? The ZCS codes tell the car's electronic control modules - there are quite a few in the 75 - what it is and what it has fitted. They comprise 3 groups of numbers/alpha characters. When each code is installed you need an additional digit (called a checksum digit) which you type at the end of each of the 3 zcs codes and enables the T4 to check that the car's ecus have taken the code correctly.
HOW TO FIND THEM? The 3 codes can be discovered using a T4 which any ex-dealer should have and some enthusiasts possess. It takes about 10 mins or less. However the checksum digit (you will need when using the code - that is installing it) needs to be obtained from someone with the checksum generator. X-Part have this I believe, as do some enthusiasts including myself.
WHEN DO YOU NEED THEM? If the ecus lose their zcs setting (or you add a new feature) then the codes (or new ones) have to be put into the car with a T4 (See my post "retro-fitting cruise control using Rover parts, new ZCS codes " for the procedure).
WHY DO YOU NEED TO FIND THEM WHILST YOUR CAR IS PERFECT? There are problems if you wait until the car needs them to be input. Firstly, in that condition you will probably not be able to see the codes in the ecus using the T4 - most likely because there will be corruption in one or more of the ecus. Secondly, MG-Rover (before they collapsed) would give the dealers guidance here on a case by case basis, however they cannot help us now. X-Part do not as yet have the capacity in my view to provide this service. They really pulled out all the stops to help me but could not provide the correct codes and eventually I had to get these from an enthusiast on the companion site.Thirdly, reconstructing the 3 codes is very difficult & involves a "hit & miss" procedure because several of the electronic features on the car may well not be visible or obvious (eg: presence of self levelling rear shocks). I now have the software to do all this and so speak from experience.
My advice to all owners is to get and keep safe your car's zcs codes and their respective checksum so that if you have a problem (or , which is less likely,wish to change a feature) you only need find a T4!

Last edited by markhowell; 30th September 2009 at 21:20..
markhowell is offline   Reply With Quote