Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th November 2006, 21:26   #1
Simon
Banned

-

Default Taurus reverse parking sensor - Anyone experienced them?

I'm almost entirely sold on the idea of fitting some reverse parking sensors to my ZT.

Having looked through all the options I particuarly like the Taurus system (http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/Parkin...Parking_Sensor) which uses elecromagnetic fields verses ultrasonics.

I like this system because a) It can be fitted without drilling holes and b) It can detect smaller objects and closer objects than ultrasonic sensors.

I was just wondering if anyone else has fitted this system before and if they can vouch for its performance and functionality?

Thanks in advance!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 21:45   #2
JP53
I really should get out more.......

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE saloon. 'Eliza'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
I'm almost entirely sold on the idea of fitting some reverse parking sensors to my ZT.

Having looked through all the options I particuarly like the Taurus system (http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/Parkin...Parking_Sensor) which uses elecromagnetic fields verses ultrasonics.

I like this system because a) It can be fitted without drilling holes and b) It can detect smaller objects and closer objects than ultrasonic sensors.

I was just wondering if anyone else has fitted this system before and if they can vouch for its performance and functionality?

Thanks in advance!
I've not tried them Simon but I know Commodore was going to try out a very inexpensive set about £15 I think. They did not require any drilling. John.

"Eliza ... Where the devil are my slippers?"
JP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 22:25   #3
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Before I started at the place I work at now, they used to fit some kind of microwave parking sensors, they apparantly had nothing but trouble with them. I can't give any first hand experience however....
Old 10th November 2006, 22:42   #4
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

I have fitted the Taurus - there was a thread I wrote about this on the other place which I might retrieve - it worked quite well. However I say worked it seems to have developed a fault in that it is now picking up false readings, such that sitting in one place with reverse engaged and no obstacles behind it is randomly beeping away - giving lots of false positives. I've tried readjusting the sensor and calibrating - no joy. Not sure what went wrong, it worked flawlessly for a long long while, but I've lost confidence in it now and now have a set of the standard ultrasonic sensors off ebay to install (with the advantage that this has the display too) ...

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 22:59   #5
Simon
Banned

-

My main worry about the Taurus system is the fact that it may be influenced by other electromagnetic devices. Which included pretty much everything which runs off electricity. The car itself, mobile phones (the biggy) to mention but a few.

Could interference with such devices have caused it to fail?

Ultrasonics seem to be more reliable but then my problem (or rather, lack of one) is that I can see fine through the mirrors as to whats behind, it's just for close-up parking or for detecting hidden obsticals the Taurus system appeared to be better. (ie it works better at short-range than the ultrasonics that are more suited to long-range detection).

Anyone any thoughts on this? Perhaps there is an ultrasonic system callibrated for short-range object detection?
Old 11th November 2006, 07:11   #6
Simon
Banned

-

If everyone is rating the ultrasonics as very good for detecting close-up objects etc then I may look again at them. Especially the ones with the display read out that are available from Ebay (eg. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PARKING-SENSOR...QQcmdZViewItem )
Old 11th November 2006, 07:37   #7
Commodore
Loves to post

ex: Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE (2001 model on an 02 Plate). Now: MG Motor MG ZS Exclusive 1L Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Phillips View Post
I've not tried them Simon but I know Commodore was going to try out a very inexpensive set about £15 I think. They did not require any drilling. John.
The JML sensors arrived during the week - planning to fit them later today if it stops raining.

I've done a few tests with them balanced on the back of the couch - seem very accurate, work on a range of about 4ft to 0, with the constant tone kicking in at the 1ft mark, which is good.

I've bought the JML as a stopgap until I can get the Taurus sensors. Want to wait until after Winter to fit the Taurus as it involves getting down and dirty with the back bumper.
Owners Club Member No. 86

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ine=1163024370 Gone but not forgotten....The Tank
Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE (2001 model on an 02 Plate)
Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 07:41   #8
Commodore
Loves to post

ex: Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE (2001 model on an 02 Plate). Now: MG Motor MG ZS Exclusive 1L Automatic

This is the JML kit BTW - ended up getting a brand new set for £10 on eBay.

http://www.jmldirect.com/product.php?cid=4&pid=17
Owners Club Member No. 86

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ine=1163024370 Gone but not forgotten....The Tank
Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE (2001 model on an 02 Plate)
Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 14:26   #9
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I have fitted the Taurus - there was a thread I wrote about this on the other place which I might retrieve - it worked quite well. However I say worked it seems to have developed a fault in that it is now picking up false readings, such that sitting in one place with reverse engaged and no obstacles behind it is randomly beeping away - giving lots of false positives. I've tried readjusting the sensor and calibrating - no joy. Not sure what went wrong, it worked flawlessly for a long long while, but I've lost confidence in it now and now have a set of the standard ultrasonic sensors off ebay to install (with the advantage that this has the display too) ...
That's a shame - I was thinking of buying one of these too - hate those ultrasonic carbuncles, and the Taurus looked like the ideal solution.
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 15:08   #10
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

I thought the Taurus system was the bees-knees and it did work very well for quite a while. It may just be a fault that developed in my unit, but looking at the cost of the cheap ebay versions I am going with one of them now - which means drilling the bumper and getting the sensors sprayed but the US versions seem to be more stable ...

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote