Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd April 2012, 17:16   #1
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Default Cruise Control - remember speed?

One small annoyance on my car...

I use cruise on most of journeys, and I normally use it at the same speed (exactly 70 MPH, GPS).

Every time I go near a dual carriageway, I have to turn on cruise, accelerate to the desired speed, and then set cruise. Would be much easier to just accelerate up the slip-road, and then when I'm near the speed I want to be, hit "resume" and have it go to 70 (i.e. as if it saved the previous speed from last time).

(for those who don't know - if you turn off the ignition, "resume" no longer works 'till you reset a speed)

I had hoped that hardwiring the centre-console switch to always be on would do this - but all it means is that I no longer need to press the button to engage cruise (which is nice, but not quite what I was after...)

Any ideas?
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 18:05   #2
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Was wiring the switch to always be on easy enough? It is annoying to have to turn it on every trip, this is the only car i have owned that is like this.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 18:10   #3
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
Was wiring the switch to always be on easy enough?
Remove the cruise switch, and connect the blue & red wire to a permanent live (in hindsight - should of used a switched-live, but I can't see it making a massive difference).

I also unplugged the switch (as it's effectively pointless now...) at the same time.

EDIT - In hindsight, wire the red & blue (switch -> cruise ECU) to the blue & white (ignition live -> switch) on the cruise plug is even easier. Then it's on whenever the ignition is.

Obviously this only applies to diesels!
Old 22nd April 2012, 18:20   #4
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Remove the cruise switch, and connect the blue & red wire to a permanent live (in hindsight - should of used a switched-live, but I can't see it making a massive difference).

I also unplugged the switch (as it's effectively pointless now...) at the same time.

EDIT - In hindsight, wire the red & blue (switch -> cruise ECU) to the blue & white (ignition live -> switch) on the cruise plug is even easier. Then it's on whenever the ignition is.

Obviously this only applies to diesels!
Thanks very much, will certainly give it a go
Old 22nd April 2012, 18:22   #5
Duotone
This is my second home

Two quotes from the 75 Handbook

ALWAYS switch off the master switch when you no longer intend to use cruise control.

The set speed held in the cruise control memory, will be cancelled when either the cruise control master switch or the starter switch is turned off.

I think most modern cars with cruise control have the set speed cancelled by turning the ignition off.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 18:25   #6
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Just a thought, would wiring the cruise ecu to a permanent live retain its memory? I wouldn't know if the battery would flatten overnight as a result though?
Old 22nd April 2012, 18:25   #7
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
Thanks very much, will certainly give it a go
Quick picture...

(circuit diagram)

http://i.imgur.com/d6IdT.png
Old 22nd April 2012, 18:37   #8
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duotone View Post
Two quotes from the 75 Handbook

ALWAYS switch off the master switch when you no longer intend to use cruise control.

The set speed held in the cruise control memory, will be cancelled when either the cruise control master switch or the starter switch is turned off.

I think most modern cars with cruise control have the set speed cancelled by turning the ignition off.

Dave T
Yes - most cars have that same safety feature - to prevent the car picking up the speed that was set before.

If you wanted to set a lower speed than the one you last set, without the safety reset the car would surge forward to regain the old speed.

Jakg has removed that feature so that the car will engage cruise control at the previously set speed - by-passing the safety feature that clears the memory, and the master switch too, if I understand right.

I think that would take most drivers by surprise.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 18:41   #9
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

I dont understand your logic, I doubt I have ever joined a motorway at exactly 70mph, its a matter of judging your speed to join the flow of traffic and then setting the cruise.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 18:41   #10
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singvogel View Post
If you wanted to set a lower speed than the one you last set, without the safety reset the car would surge forward to regain the old speed.
You'd just accelerate to the desired speed, and press "+"

I only ever press "resume" when I want to do 70, otherwise I always press the "+" button to set it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singvogel View Post
Jakg has removed that feature so that the car will engage cruise control at the previously set speed - by-passing the safety feature that clears the memory, and the master switch too, if I understand right.
All I've done is make it so that you don't need to press the centre-console switch to engage cruise before you can use it. At the moment, the previously held speed etc is still cleared with the ignition (which is what I don't want!).

The safety cut-outs (G, brake and clutch) still work as they should.