Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th December 2006, 09:58   #1
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Default Plenum checked out OK -a couple of handy hints

I checked out the plenum drain today. After the storms of the last couple of weeks I wanted to make sure all was OK, which it was

Anyway, those pesky plenum clips under the windscreen have met their match. Having read so much about how they tend to spring out and disappear for ever I tried a different tack.

I stuck a short piece of insulation tape horizontally across each clip and the plenum before prising it up with a flat screwdriver. The tape stopped them flying off and having completed the job I still have a full set

The how to on the club site says to remove just the two n/s clips but I would advise taking a third off also. This is because for me the third popped off into the ether as I was removing the drain cover Fortunately it pinged across the engine bay and landed on top of the radiator so was recoverable.

Job took 15 minutes as the drain point was completely clear, as were the side drains that I checked at the same time.

hth

Mike
Old 12th December 2006, 12:38   #2
keith52
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

once it stops rainiing that will be my next job, thanks for the tip
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 16:09   #3
Nick Hoare
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8 Conn SE Auto (54)

Good tip, but I think I will have a go at doing the "spy hole" mod.
Old 12th December 2006, 16:16   #4
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoare View Post
Good tip, but I think I will have a go at doing the "spy hole" mod.
I've done that and it works a treat

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 16:21   #5
mykl
Loves to post

MG ZT 1.8T + 160.... Le-Mans Green

Garage did miine with an airline blast whilst it was in for its service yesterday.

I'm surprised at how much water and muck came out (all over garage floor when I picked up the car). Seeing I only cleaned the drain myself about 3-4 weeks back. I am now wondering if I did it properly!!!!! Sure I did.

________
mykl
mykl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2006, 15:41   #6
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Default Do It Before It's Too Late

Just fitted the Synergy today, and have yet to try out to it's full potential on ice free roads, so I was feeling rather proud of my achievments today so this inspired me to check out the plenum. My plenum was cleaned out last year, and I thought no real need to do the job, however reading this thread got me to decide to check the plenum chamber out. I stuck masking tape over the top of the plastic clips, and pulled on the plastic cover, success! no flying clips, cover ready to remove. Unfortunately as I was twisting the cover out from under the bonnet, one of the ends of the cover broke. May be related to the low temperature we have today as for most of the day it has been reading -2degC in the shade.

To my horror I found water in the bottom of the chamber, along with a wet pollen filter. No leaves, just a gunge stuck in bottom of the rubber drain tube, cleared it now, but I must get into the habit of checking it more often. All back together again with a superglued end to the cover, I'll have to get a new cover ordered next week.

A work collegue with a ZT who I have been badgering on numerous occasions to get his plenum chamber done for months now, has never got around to it yet, so I must ensure that he gets my news, so that he can get cracking and get it done ASAP.

Thinking about the design of the Rubber funnel in the plenum, the debris has only one place to go, and it will eventually clog up in time. I would have thought that by placing a 4" long 3/8" - 1/2" tube through the hole in the rubber funnel and having the top of the hose stick up slightly higher 1" than the face of the rubber funnel may help stop the hole blocking up similar to the suction line in the bottom of a tank.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2006, 15:52   #7
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

VERY nice Bike you have there sir......just keep an eye on those spokes! apparently MCN are running a recall campaign over spoke failures on all the Classic style Triumphs.

Plenums

I have been noting the comments on the plenum blockages over the past few months, I havent modified mine, but heres another option....... every week when im cleaning the car I use the vacuum cleaner hose to suck out any leave & debris in the cavity and every few weeks I stick the hose pipe into the drain holes to blast any muck out and stop bad smells coming in thro via the Pollen filter.
keeps it all clean and dry.

Also just for a laugh, try putting your lips into the Vacuum cleaner hose but make sure you can reach the off switch!
Old 16th December 2006, 15:57   #8
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker in a suit View Post
Also just for a laugh, try putting your lips into the Vacuum cleaner hose but make sure you can reach the off switch!
Hmm.............perhaps now is the right time to start worrying about some of our members
Old 16th December 2006, 16:01   #9
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hmm.............perhaps now is the right time to start worrying about some of our members
ha ha ha ha......better keep this one clean. :lol:
Old 17th December 2006, 14:11   #10
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

Just been out checking the drain etc. and took a piccie of the 'spy hole' mod I have done to the plenum cover - makes checking the drain less than a 1 minute job ...

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote