Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th January 2016, 23:01   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default New MOT rule confirmed

Called up my MOT garage today to book my zed's MOT. Asked about that new rule around what happens if your car fails. They confirmed that now if you book in a mot early and the car fails it immediately invalidates the old MOT certificate. Stupid.

So i played the system at their own game and booked a pre off the record MOT test, and if it passes it'll be put straight through for its actual MOT. That way i can get bits done if needed without losing the car when i need it to get to work.

Funny how these things arent clearly made public, wonder how many people are going to be screwed over when they book an early retest and it fails and leaves them without a car unless they can get it fixed straight away. So many are going to be unaware of this. Feel sorry for those who are tight on cash and then are immediately left with no car to get to and from work.

So id advise booking a pretest from now on just to be safe so you're not left without a car.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 23:05   #2
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

This isn't correct.

Think about the situation where you have an MOT only centre that doesn't do repairs (e.g. all council places for a start). What do you do with the car?
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 23:07   #3
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

You can drive it to and from a pre booked garage or take it home. But cant use it for anything else until mot is passed
. Basically the same rules as when your mot expires.

New mot certificate then carries on from the expirey date of the old one once passed.
Old 8th January 2016, 23:10   #4
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

I've always been of the opinion that even if the current MOT is still valid, I wouldn't use my car on the road if it failed a test, until the faults had been rectified.
For me it's always been a case of if it fails then it's not roadworthy.
This 'new' rule won't make any difference to me, it's just what it should always have been IMHO.

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 23:13   #5
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Rick I genuinely see it from both sides, but a car with a few weeks of mot left on it, presented for test which fails makes it non compliant to the rules that govern the test then allowed to re-unite with other road users and act as if everything is ok would be a bad thing, especially with inexperienced road users. Imagine being hit by a car with dodgy flexi brake pipes that failed 3 weeks before the due date, the owner knowing it's wrong, the test station knowing its wrong and the driver not insured for an unroadworthy car. It is a PITA, but happier safer than sorry. We all panic at MOT test time, but our efforts as enthusiasts should be keeping our toys in top order regardless of mot due or not.
Also, the pre-tester needs to be the same guy as the tester for the day, as perceptions vary amongst testers and keep your mileage to a minimum between the check and actual test.
Good luck.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 23:17   #6
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...failed+its+MOT
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 23:20   #7
Athorpe
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

How on earth is that stupid.

How rationally could you justify carrying on using a car that had failed its MOT (essentially a road worthiness test) on the basis it passed one 8,9,10 months ago
If the car is safe to be on the road it passes, if not it doesn't. That it was safe months ago is irrelevant if it isn't now.

It makes perfect sense the latest test over rules an old one

I agree with Fecks stance, I've never taken a car on the road that has failed further than driving it home, even if an old certificate was still valid until repaired.
Athorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 23:25   #8
Rick-sta
This is my second home

It needs a common sense approach. If its something significant like brakes, suspension etc then yeah fair enough and if something that bad was identified then i wouldn't have driven it till repaired anyway, plus would have known about the issue before the test as you can tell when something a wrong. But if its some silly maintenance point which is what mine and my dads have ever failed on that doesn't affect safety then this rules silly.

Its now a massive pain for those of us who work mon-fri and only get saturdays to book mots. So if it fails and you cant get it repaired same day, you now have to wait 7 days before you can get it back on the road.

Just another example of common sense being replaced by brainless rules again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
Also, the pre-tester needs to be the same guy as the tester for the day, as perceptions vary amongst testers and keep your mileage to a minimum between the check and actual test.
Good luck.
it'll be the same guy doing the actual test for me. If everything a fine then he'll put it straight through immediately

Last edited by Dragrad; 11th January 2016 at 00:56.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit or Multi-quote :-)
Old 8th January 2016, 23:36   #9
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
It needs a common sense approach. If its something significant like brakes, suspension etc then yeah fair enough and if something that bad was identified then i wouldn't have driven it till repaired anyway, plus would have known about the issue before the test as you can tell when something a wrong. But if its some silly maintenance point which is what mine and my dads have ever failed on that doesn't affect safety then this rules silly.

Its now a massive pain for those of us who work mon-fri and only get saturdays to book mots. So if it fails and you cant get it repaired same day, you now have to wait 7 days before you can get it back on the road.

Just another example of common sense being replaced by brainless rules again.
If it was something significant like brakes, then the MOT tester has the right to stop you from taking your car away from the testing station and it would need to be either repaired there or trailered away.
If it's a trivial thing that it fails on, I always believed that it could be repaired within the test timeslot and then passed. I know this has been done for me when my indicator bulbs were deemed to be too white and the garage replaced them with new orange ones. They didn't charge me any labour either as they said it was included in the cost of the test.

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 23:56   #10
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Say if it failed on your back box having a slight leak/hole in it and it failed on that. Chances are you won't be able to have it fixed same day, probably wouldn't know its there and doesn't affect the safety of anyone else and a blow that far back in the system probably wouldn't affect anything else either. Under the old rules you wouldn't have stopped driving it would you, but you's have the chance to go away and have a new box fitted and brought it back for a retest. Now if that happens you're left with no car until you can repair it and book another test on another day.

And what about those moments when your tester decides to fail it on something you really think it shouldn't fail on? Like my old tester failing my dads 6000k hid's because they were "too blue" according to him, when the same guy passed my 8000k hids a couple months before and i asked him if he'd be happy with 6000k hid's before fitting them? That leaves you stuffed if you cant get another test booked elsewhere quickly.

My dads hand brake failed last year due to being a little bit below requirement. Luckily we was able to book it elsewhere a few days later to be adjusted which did the job. However if it was the compensator and couldn't be fixed on the same day then that leaves you without a car again, and this was on an auto that gets left in park everywhere so it isn't going anywhere on a weak handbrake.

Serious faults that endanger yourself and others then yes fine, silly faults that are maintenance things but dont endanger you or others but just need doing then no dont agree.