Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th January 2016, 09:03   #1
Valkman
Avid contributor

ROVER SE 75 CDTI

Default Noise after getting clutch done

Hi,
I got my clutch done and metal master/slave...thanks DMGR.

Now when I press clutch i get a noise. Hard to describe it. There is no noise or vibs from the engine at ANY revs but when changing gears you can hear this kind of rattling sound. It's only noticeable really in 1st and 2nd gear due to more speed. I mentioned it to my mechanic, who never worked on a 75 before but worked with BMW and asked if it could be the release bearing. He said it came with a new one with the kit.
I did not get the DM done as there is no vids at all and this noise was not there before i got new clutch . The clutch was not gone or slipping but I knew it was on its way out as I had to let the clutch up nearly all the way before it engaged.

Any ideas?
Car has 130,000 CDTI and I live in south Ireland and I was planning on driving up north to get T4 and remap.

Thanks guys
Joe
Valkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 11:09   #2
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Dear Joe

This is exactly the problem that has afflicted my CDTi since I had a new (cheap reconditioned) clutch fitted to it under warranty - I get a sort of growly, grating noise when changing gear - it can be associated with clutch judder when it is bad. Andy Willi has put two new clutches in it for me, and last time he was here, we also put a different gearbox on it, and changed the gearbox input sleeve, in case there was a problem with the input shaft. The noise is still there. I am currently checking the crank pulley side of things in case it related to 'float' in the pulley when changing gear, but failing that, a new DMF may be the next move (although Andy checked the one on the car and it is within spec).

What quality of clutch parts were fitted and by whom ? I am starting to suspect that the garage that did the warranty clutch change may have somehow damaged the DMF whilst refitting the gearbox.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 13:05   #3
Valkman
Avid contributor

ROVER SE 75 CDTI

Yes that sound like mine. More of a growly noise.
When I collected the car from him there was lots of vibs. I rang him straight away and he said the Dm was gone. Later though he said he never checked the DM as I did not supply one.
I brought the car back after about 150 miles and the rattling and vibs had stopped completely. Only the noise when you press the clutch even when in neutral. No vibs at all and when you let clutch out the noise stops. It has about 800 miles on it now and it looks like I am stuck with it.
Old 24th January 2016, 13:41   #4
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Sounds very like my car - I had vibration when it was first returned from the garage that changed the clutch under warranty, but I fixed this myself by going round and loosening/re-tightening the gearbox and engine mountings. I know the garage struggled to get the gearbox back on, and when Andy Willi took the gearbox off he could see damage to the end of the input shaft and centre splines on the clutch plate, suggesting force had been used. My theory is that this force has somehow damaged something in the DMF. I have not decided whether to change the DMF yet (it is more expense !), but I'll try to keep you updated.

Pete
Old 25th January 2016, 07:58   #5
Valkman
Avid contributor

ROVER SE 75 CDTI

Now you mention it the mechanic did mention how tight it all was and how big the DM was. Maybe he did force something.

Do you reckon if I got him to losen tighten all the bolts you mentioned it will help?
Old 25th January 2016, 08:36   #6
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

The bolts I loosened/re-tightened were just for the gearbox/engine mountings, nothing to do with the DMF etc. I think it might help if you have judder/vibration, but probably not for the growly noise.

Pete