Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th March 2009, 11:59   #1
PaulPJ
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 Manual Facelift CDTi Contemporary in Starlight Silver

Default Lazy Thermostat on 2.0 CDT with BMW Engine

Hi Chaps, I think I might have a lazy thermostat as it takes 5 miles or more to warm up and temp drops a tad when queuing on the M3 (as you do). I have read various threads about changing the thermostat without changing the water pump and that its easier on the BMW engine despite what Mr Haynes says but I dont even know where it is on my car. Does anyone have pictures of how to change it or can someone clever person do a 'How to'. Bring back the crossflow engine, atleast you knew where everything was and could do almost everything with any old tool. Paul
PaulPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 12:20   #2
Evansabove
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Conn SE

Thumbs up

Paul,
I had the same symptoms and got a new thermostat fitted but the old one was full of "crud" which stopped it closing properly. A good flush out of the cooling system may cure it. My garage said it was difficult and had to take the water pump off and being a friend I believe him. As to the slow warm up, diesel engines are so efficient they take linger to warm up hence the need for a fuel burning heater for the cold weather. I drive through the forest from Bournemouth each day and it can easily take 5 miles before I'm up to temperature.

HTH

John
Evansabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 12:29   #3
PaulPJ
Posted a thing or two

Hi John, thanks for that. Is it easy to flush out and refill engine? I worry about it because of airlocks and damage to Head Gasket etc etc. If it's something that is easy to do I will get a gallon of OAT and do it when I have a spare weekend. Thanks Paul
Old 11th March 2009, 13:17   #4
steve107
Loves to post

75 cdt tourer diesel

i had mine changed at local garage .they did not take water pump off .take drivers side top mounting bracket jack up .sorry take enginre cover plus air filter off.it took the garage about 1.30 hour. charged me £40 to fit .thermo cost£37 from rimmers .its not hard just figerley .
steve107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 17:23   #5
Livermpj
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Club saloon

Hi Paul,
Coolant change on the CDT is easy peasy, IIRC there's only 1 bleed point (above the FBH unit).
Not sure about the crud theory, mine's 8 years old and clean as a whistle. In theory the OAT should prevent corrosion and sludge formation. I've only changed the coolant once (at 4 years), due again this spring.
It's vital you use OAT or a compatible substitute, I palyed safe and stuck with MGR OAT (Orange) - it's not expensive.

hth,
Pete.
Livermpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 07:28   #6
PaulPJ
Posted a thing or two

Thumbs up

Hi Pete, thanks for that. The thermostat seems to be behaving now so maybe it is just me. I think the car is due a coolant change soon so now know its easy I will do it come the warmer weather. Thanks again. Paul
Old 30th March 2009, 07:13   #7
skyrise

none atm

Hi ya... My first post... and its a question like this one..

I have a 6 mile drive to work in the morning and my car got just over 1/4 warm.. is this about right for the CDT? it was 0.5 oC out side :\
skyrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 10:13   #8
shakennstirred
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 ConnSE

the BMW engine is very efficient and will cool a little if on tickover
5 miles to warm up isn't bad depending on outside temp
British racing green
Harman kardon stereo upgrade//SYNERGY TUNING MODULE/EGR bypass/intake mod
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
shakennstirred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 10:40   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

A more meaningful idea on how the system performs is to use the diagnostics mode to provide the engine temperature in degrees Centigrade. The temperature gauge is relatively meaningless other than indicating that a minimum coolant temperature of 75°C has been reached.This is the temperature when the needle first touches the 9 o'clock (normal) marker. Beyond that, little information can be got from it. Remember that internal combustion engines run at their most efficient in the 95-100°C area, so the longer it takes to reach this band, the more fuel will be consumed. An engine running at too low a temperature may also suffer more wear.
From my readings, the diesels rarely run in the optimal temperature band and are typically running too cool. To a large extent this seems to be due to the thermostat, which even when working properly, doesn't run hot enough. I'd be interested to see the results if someoe could get their running temperature above 90°C.

For info on monitoring engine temperature see: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29584highlight=monitoring+tempera ture

T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote