Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd January 2010, 09:58   #1
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

Default Knocking from front suspension and it's not the top strut bearing.

I've recently started to get a knocking from the front suspension. I noticed it got worse after hitting a pothole but I had noticed it slightly before as I have to drive over 18 speeed bumps daily and it can really be heard when the car is comming down the other side.

It's not the top strut bearing as those were replaced last year.

I've had the car up on stands and checked the trackrod ends, springs, rear bush, wishbone and they all look fine. The car rights itself OK and the shock looks good.

I did a top too bottom test and no movement but when I did a side to side test on the wheel there is a little movement (1cm) and if I jerk it from side to side I can hear the knocking.

I think the problem is on the driveshaft somewhere. Any ideas how the home Mechanic can diagnose this further?

I'm getting a little nervous as my MOT is due next month and I'm not in a position to be able to spend much money on the car as I'm still recovering from being made redundant twice..

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:11   #2
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
I've recently started to get a knocking from the front suspension. I noticed it got worse after hitting a pothole but I had noticed it slightly before as I have to drive over 18 speeed bumps daily and it can really be heard when the car is comming down the other side.

I've had the car up on stands and checked the trackrod ends, springs, rear bush, wishbone and they all look fine. The car rights itself OK and the shock looks good.

I did a top too bottom test and no movement but when I did a side to side test on the wheel there is a little movement (1cm) and if I jerk it from side to side I can hear the knocking.

I think the problem is on the driveshaft somewhere. Any ideas how the home Mechanic can diagnose this further?

I'm getting a little nervous as my MOT is due next month and I'm not in a position to be able to spend much money on the car as I'm still recovering from being made redundant twice..

It's probably your lower arm, or the bush the lower arm fits in to. But if I were you I'd find an MOT place that doesnt charge for retests, and then take it in early. They'll tell you exactly what's wrong and you won't waste time looking for faults that might not be an MOT fail in the first place.

Another favourite for kniocks is the front anti roll bar where it fastens on to the strut link rod, I forgot to tighten mine up properly after changing my strut bearing and it made a terrible noise over speed bumps until I got under again to tighten it up.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 13:05   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
I honestly doubt it's a drive shaft problem, but here's a test.
When the universal couplings are worn, they will show under the following condition.

Drive car very slowly in a circle on full lock. A hard knock will be heard if a joint has gone. Test both left and right turns.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 13:11   #4
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

I wouldn't have thought a driveshaft will cause your problem. I know it will be difficult but in some circumstances suspension component wear can only be detected with weight on the car, ie not jacked up. If you can raise the car enough to crawl around under it with it sitting with the weight on the wheels, you may find some wear in a ball joint. I would check your antirollbar links first.
Old 23rd January 2010, 16:32   #5
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

Thanks all. I'll have a look again tomorrow

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 14:04   #6
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

[quote=StevenWilliams;452091]I've recently started to get a knocking from the front suspension. I noticed it got worse after hitting a pothole but I had noticed it slightly before as I have to drive over 18 speeed bumps daily and it can really be heard when the car is comming down the other side.

I'm getting a little nervous as my MOT is due next month and I'm not in a position to be able to spend much money on the car as I'm still recovering from being made redundant twice..[/quote

just had the same noise on mine ,al it was is that the torsion bar stabelising bar rubbers bracket was a wee bit loose .tighten it up and no noise,was gonna fit new rubbers but the ones on car look new .
Old 25th January 2010, 14:08   #7
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

Mine was doing this for ages, went through 1 MOT but failed the next. Turned out to be N/S balljoint.
Old 25th January 2010, 14:13   #8
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

[quote=Tim_Burgess;453568]Mine was doing this for ages, went through 1 MOT but failed the next. Turned out to be N/S balljoint.[/q

Same with my ztt twas the balljoint . but you say you done the side to side motion on the wheel so thats the wheel bearing or you may have found a new problem
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote