Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th March 2010, 18:42   #61
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Can't see there being any problems with a 30mm drop but we will see.
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 19:18   #62
fooman
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Tourer

To my eye a perfect height is when the arch looks an even gap all the way round the wheel (look at Porsches they seem to have perfect wheel to arch gaps front and rear) and the standard ride height of the 75 is a touch high in this respect. Sadly many lowering kits slam to the deck which would over compensate - 30mm might be spot on if you can find such a kit.

The only other thing I would say is don't do it! Lowered cars are hell in my experience having bought a couple of Jap sports cars lowered by previous owners. Ride quality is one but it also upsets handling (not always for the better), geometry, makes you fear speed bumps and pot holes. Increased tyre wear and exhaust damage are real possibilities. It only has to be slightly bumpy for my current 4wd turbo Jap motor to bottom out under breaking or cornering which ruins the driving experience, I plan on returning it to stock at some point.
fooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 20:05   #63
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

When you look at the gap in the arches on both mine and Trebor's cars, i don't think lowering by 30mm will cause any ground clearance issues.The manufacturer of the springs i have chosen also states the following about comfort levels......

The progressive design of the springs ensure that you will not lose ride quality.

http://www.eibach-suspension.co.uk/E...0_p1333432.htm
Old 16th March 2010, 19:24   #64
francoh20
Avid contributor

mg zt 1.8 turbo 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
When you look at the gap in the arches on both mine and Trebor's cars, i don't think lowering by 30mm will cause any ground clearance issues.The manufacturer of the springs i have chosen also states the following about comfort levels......

The progressive design of the springs ensure that you will not lose ride quality.

http://www.eibach-suspension.co.uk/E...0_p1333432.htm
well is it done yet? what did you decide?
Old 16th March 2010, 19:36   #65
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman View Post
To my eye a perfect height is when the arch looks an even gap all the way round the wheel (look at Porsches they seem to have perfect wheel to arch gaps front and rear) and the standard ride height of the 75 is a touch high in this respect. Sadly many lowering kits slam to the deck which would over compensate - 30mm might be spot on if you can find such a kit.

The only other thing I would say is don't do it! Lowered cars are hell in my experience having bought a couple of Jap sports cars lowered by previous owners. Ride quality is one but it also upsets handling (not always for the better), geometry, makes you fear speed bumps and pot holes. Increased tyre wear and exhaust damage are real possibilities. It only has to be slightly bumpy for my current 4wd turbo Jap motor to bottom out under breaking or cornering which ruins the driving experience, I plan on returning it to stock at some point.
As above really, i have lowerd many cars, the last was a R5 turbo and it's not as simple as changing the shocks and lowering as fooman has pointed out, the weight of the car plays a big part, also a strut brace will be needed etc. But it all depends how low you want to go really, to low and the tyre will rub the iner wall on full lock etc. best thing to do is drive a zt for a week and you will soon come to the conclution that it's not sutch a good idea afterall.
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 19:47   #66
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

I got my Eibach lowering springs fitted yesterday and i'm very pleased with the all round result.The first thing that was very noticeable from the inside of the cabin was how much lower the driving position felt in relation to the road surface,I feel this is big improvement on the high position created by fitting 18" wheels with OEM springs.I felt like the pope

I took the car along some smooth twisty country roads and i can honestly say it's improved the handling into corners 100%,it's completely eradicated body roll.

I can also report that i don't believe there is any difference whatsover in comfort levels,i purposely sought out some speed bumps and less than smooth roads and couldn't tell the difference from OEM springs.Now this car isn't my daily driver so i have limited experience in driving it but i would say there is no deterioration in ride quality.

Here are a few pic's of before and after.....

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Whatcha fink?
Old 16th March 2010, 19:49   #67
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Definitely looks better to me..
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 19:53   #68
francoh20
Avid contributor

mg zt 1.8 turbo 160

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
I got my Eibach lowering springs fitted yesterday and i'm very pleased with the all round result.The first thing that was very noticeable from the inside of the cabin was how much lower the driving position felt in relation to the road surface,I feel this is big improvement on the high position created by fitting 18" wheels with OEM springs.I felt like the pope

I took the car along some smooth twisty country roads and i can honestly say it's improved the handling into corners 100%,it's completely eradicated body roll.

I can also report that i don't believe there is any difference whatsover in comfort levels,i purposely sought out some speed bumps and less than smooth roads and couldn't tell the difference from OEM springs.Now this car isn't my daily driver so i have limited experience in driving it but i would say there is no deterioration in ride quality.

Here are a few pic's of before and after.....

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Whatcha fink?
just the ticket! looks great and im so pleased your happy with it. well done mate. maybe see you at a meet in the lowerd section?? ha ha
Old 16th March 2010, 20:03   #69
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Not far off the zt Hight looks ok to me,mate, but will still say a strut brace( im getting one made if i can find one ) for a better front grip on bends plus upgrade the anti roll bush's yellow's may be , the list is endless really if this is your intention on upgrading the performance. what is the final hight and are they ajustable,make etc if i change my front struts. thanks
Andrew....
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 23:07   #70
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoh20 View Post
just the ticket! looks great and im so pleased your happy with it. well done mate. maybe see you at a meet in the lowerd section?? ha ha
Thanks,yes i'm very happy with the outcome.

I'm sure the management would provide a phone box for the lowered section membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymrudragon View Post
Not far off the zt Hight looks ok to me,mate, but will still say a strut brace( im getting one made if i can find one ) for a better front grip on bends plus upgrade the anti roll bush's yellow's may be , the list is endless really if this is your intention on upgrading the performance. what is the final hight and are they ajustable,make etc if i change my front struts. thanks
Andrew....
I will be keeping an eye out for a front strut brace and rear anti roll bar in the future,i have to say that the difference the springs alone have made to eliminating body roll is incredible!
The springs have lowered it 30mm all round,and it still sits on OEM shocks keeping it nice and comfortable

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 16th March 2010 at 23:11..