Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th April 2011, 13:42   #1
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Default ABS Warning & Airbag Warning Lights

Following on from this thread, I have sourced a replacement IPK and tested it. As suspected my dodgy IPK was hiding the fact that the ABS light and Airbag light are staying on.

I have seen several threads relating to the yellow airbag connectors under the seats, is it simply a case of unplugging them and cleaning up the connectors to see if that get rid of the issue? Are there any other suspect areas that are worth checking?

As for the ABS, I am assuming a sensor is the most likely cause of the problem, they seem to be cheap enough to buy on e-bay?

I did have a T4 session recently which cleared a load of faults, but, if there is an airbag and abs issue, then there should be a fault code for the T4 to find - despite the IPK not showing it, the fault should still be there - is this right?

If I can find out which ABS sensor is dodgy, I can replace it (by I replace it I mean Dissy helps me / does the majority of the work ) in the meantime, so when the replacement IPK goes in, the fault should already be repaired.

As always, feedback and advice appreciated, I just want to make sure two of the most important safety systems in my car, are actually working ok.
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 13:55   #2
geoffm
Regular poster

Rover 75 cdt saloon

When my air bag warning came on i took apart the yellow connectors and cleaned refitted and the light remained on so on advice fro an ex rover garage took out the front seats lifted the carpet and there are two green sensors for the side air bags and as with a lot of 75s water gets in the footwells the foam backing to the carpet soaks it up and then corrodes the block sensors. The sensor behind the drivers seat attached to the cross member had indeed rotted because of water ingress, changed it for about £20 and never a problem since.
With ABS sensor changed the front ones and the light out but shortly afterwards the warning light came on so knowing the front ones were good changed the rear wheel sensors only for the light to remain on, it turned out to be the rear nearside wheel hub , changed that for £50 and alls good.
Hope this info helps.

Geoff
geoffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 15:24   #3
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffm View Post
When my air bag warning came on i took apart the yellow connectors and cleaned refitted and the light remained on so on advice fro an ex rover garage took out the front seats lifted the carpet and there are two green sensors for the side air bags and as with a lot of 75s water gets in the footwells the foam backing to the carpet soaks it up and then corrodes the block sensors. The sensor behind the drivers seat attached to the cross member had indeed rotted because of water ingress, changed it for about £20 and never a problem since.
With ABS sensor changed the front ones and the light out but shortly afterwards the warning light came on so knowing the front ones were good changed the rear wheel sensors only for the light to remain on, it turned out to be the rear nearside wheel hub , changed that for £50 and alls good.
Hope this info helps.

Geoff
Very interesting info Geoff, thanks for that, gives me a good starting point.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:00   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

A T4 should tell you which of the 4 sensors is causing the light to come on. It wont tell you if it is the sensor, the cable or the magnetic ring though. It could even be an ABS main unit fault

Pretty comprihensive explanation of the Air bag light already given unless the car has been in an accident and the airbags have been deployed at some time, then the crash data would need to be removed from the main airbag unit.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 20:56   #5
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
A T4 should tell you which of the 4 sensors is causing the light to come on. It wont tell you if it is the sensor, the cable or the magnetic ring though. It could even be an ABS main unit fault

Pretty comprihensive explanation of the Air bag light already given unless the car has been in an accident and the airbags have been deployed at some time, then the crash data would need to be removed from the main airbag unit.
Cheers Stocktake - that expands on what I was looking at, and the info posted.

I think the Airbag light *should* be the easier of the two to sort, and with regards to the ABS, I am going to expect the worst, and hope for the best, but given the prices of all parts concerned, it *shouldn't* be too bad. I think with the ABS, it's replacing the sensors that is more of an issue? (fitting / replacing wise).

I had a look through the MOT history, and before the car was sold back in 2008 it failed an MOT due to the ABS light being on and indicating an issue. It then passed about a week later and was sold - I doubt it went onto a T4 / had the ABS diagnosed correctly so it looks like it was done as a quick fix to mot and sell - as correctly guessed I believe - so thats my working theory on when it happened. Been through MOT's since, the latest in Feb which was just before I got it, but now is the time to get it fixed, properly, and know it's all working and honest.
Old 28th April 2011, 21:00   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofo View Post
but now is the time to get it fixed, properly, and know it's all working and honest.

Top shout, good luck with it

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 12:52   #7
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

After a T4 session - the faults have been traced.

ABS fault is located on the N/S/R - sensor most likely, so need to take a look.

Airbag - side impact sensor - need to clean connectors and make sure everything is clean and working properly.

Enough to keep me busy for a little while, but doesn't look too serious. Shame it wasn't done properly in the past.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:28   #8
dissy1810
Posted a thing or two

mgzt 160 1.8 lpg

I'll give you a hand doing it if you wish but you'll have to bring Louise and the kids to keep Claire entertained and stop her attacking my car with a hammer as she gets annoyed with me spending more time with my car than her
dissy1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 20:13   #9
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissy1810 View Post
I'll give you a hand doing it if you wish but you'll have to bring Louise and the kids to keep Claire entertained and stop her attacking my car with a hammer as she gets annoyed with me spending more time with my car than her
That sounds like a plan my good man - I will no doubt take you up on your kind offer - won't be for a little while yet untill I get a few bits and bobs together.
Old 8th June 2011, 14:40   #10
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Airbag Issue - Sorted!!

Well, after a trip to the scrapyard this afternoon, I got a second hand impact sensor and fitted it, result - NO AIRBAG LIGHT / WARNING!!! HOORAY!! After fitting the leather seats we had confirmed the connections were ok, and Brian's T4 session had already found the impact sensor was the issue anyway, so all is well in airbag land today, just the ABS fault to sort (due to be done Saturday).

One down...one to go....

And the one I removed....