PDA

View Full Version : 75 CDT ECU Crash

AlanD
28th September 2007, 07:13
Due to water imersion the ECU was replaced in my Rover 75 CDT a couple of years ago - the drain tubes have now been modified and run free.

Since the new ECU was fitted, the engine now stops intermitently while on the move.

Switching off and on the ignition seems to reset the ECU and the engine fires up again.

This workaround can be frustrating when exiting roundabouts and hair raising when doing 90mph in the fast late late at night in the wet.

The fault seems to occur more frequently in damp weather, and has got worse following a recent 'petrol in the diesel tank' incident.

My mechanic friend says the the ECU is recording no faults or shutdowns.

Any ideas?

Alan

Keith
28th September 2007, 10:56
Does the oil pressure light come on?
Does the engine completely stop or go into a sort of gutless tickover?

This is unlikey to be anything to do with the replacement ECU more likely fuel supply related.

Jules
28th September 2007, 14:23
Too late now for you I know Alan, but for anyone else who's plenum chamber is that full of water that it is threatening the ECU there is an audible clue!

Every time you go round a corner or an S type bend like a chicane, you will hear a Sloshing noise!! This is the gallons & gallons of water moving around that cannot escape through the blocked plenum drains:SHOCKED:

I'll probably post these symptoms up as a seperate thread in the hope that a search for "Sloshing noise round corners" might be found easier for members.

Phil
28th September 2007, 19:42
That noise gave me the heads up to check mine the first time about a year ago.

AlanD
29th September 2007, 08:24
I don't dip the clutch when it happens because I like to keep some steering and braking power - no warning lights illuminate on the dash when the engine dies with the transmittion continuing to spin the engine.

It's just as if I had run out of fuel, but remember the ECU records no low fuel pressure or any other malfunction.

If I dip the clutch the engine stops dead and all the usual lights illuminate

A quick off and on with the key and we are on our way again.

It's as if the ECU shuts down before it can record any malfunction.