PDA

View Full Version : Suspension when towing

uk_dave&gill
17th December 2011, 15:05
My 75 Tourer always looks like it is too high at the front (if anyone can adive on what the standard ride height would be, I'd appreciate it!)

When towing last week, it looked even more so. I don't think the rear was dangerously low, but it would be nice to know if there was some way to keep it higher (without having to resort to an expensive suspension tweak)

Would a towball drop-plate help?

HarryM1BYT
17th December 2011, 15:23
Unladen it should be level. Might be worth checking your rear springs for breakages, if not.

A drop plate will make no difference to the cars ride height, they only allow you to compensate for a towball on a vehicle which is too high for the trailer. A trailer should always be slightly nose down and the drop plate is used to ensure this, where the ball is too high. Not usually a problem with a 75 and most cars, it is more a 4x4 thing.

The nose weight of the trailer at the ball, should usually be between 60 to 75kg, but I believe the 75 is rated for upto 100kg.

MisterTomez
17th December 2011, 15:38
I believe the really high-spec tourers had self levelling suspension, by form of self levelling shocks (Nivomat), other than fitting those which is obviously likely to be expensive, you could see if it's possible to reduce the noseweight of the vehicle you're towing somehow, i.e if a caravan, move some stuff to the rear of it.

uk_dave&gill
17th December 2011, 17:23
TBH, although we've not checked the noseweight, I'm pretty sure it's not an issue, as we've been very careful not to take much heavy with us and, aside from the gas bottles, all the heavy stuff sits over the axle

I will check it though, but do wonder if it's more a case of the car naturally sitting back-low, front-high, and this being visually exacerbated when the caravan is attached?

windrush
17th December 2011, 20:08
Mine has self leveling rear suspension and the car rides level even with 100kgs on the tow ball

uk_dave&gill
18th December 2011, 09:15
Wish mine had self levelling suspension..... :(

llynclaslad
19th December 2011, 09:26
After an MOT found i had a broken rear spring, i was given a patent choice of standard or heavy duty replacements, Bearing my caravan in mind i opted for the heavy duty, for very little extra cost (about £50 extra for the 2) It really has made a noticeable difference on the grounds you no longer notice it.