PDA

View Full Version : Towing mirror fit

uk_dave&gill
19th December 2011, 13:46
Having recently got hold of a pair of genuine mirrors, tried them yesterday when taking the van to put into storage

Was surprised that the ovally bit that is shaped to fit the case of the mirror didn't seem to be an "exact" fit, leaving it a bit skew. They held on alright, and the extended mirror part worked fine, but I did expect a tighter fit

Bought them off eBay, where the ad was headed "Rover 75 & ZT Towing Mirrors" and the description was "Will fit all 25/45/75 and the MG ZR/ZS/ZT"

I guess my question is: Are these mirrors supposed to fit all models listed, or are the ZR/ZS ones possibly smaller?

Cheers!

windrush
19th December 2011, 15:21
I done away with my omgr mirrors and invested in Milenco Gran Aero which I have found faultless and the perfect towing mirror

uk_dave&gill
19th December 2011, 16:04
I don't want to change them now I've managed to find a pair! ;)

According to Rimmers (here (http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-CRB108270)), the same mirrors should fit the "Rover 200/25 or MG ZR" as well as the 75 and ZT. No mention of ZS though, so is it possible that there was a different size for these and that's what I have???

wynnejo
24th December 2011, 01:48
Hi,
I've had 2 set's,first set just after MGR's demise,2nd set off ebay.Both set's are the same,fit of the oval ring not snug,still use a set.Did you know they were made by Raydot,and that the strap's and mirror head's are tha same as there off the shelf item.
Regard's John.

uk_dave&gill
24th December 2011, 09:15
Hi,
I've had 2 set's,first set just after MGR's demise,2nd set off ebay.Both set's are the same,fit of the oval ring not snug,still use a set.Did you know they were made by Raydot,and that the strap's and mirror head's are tha same as there off the shelf item.
Regard's John.

Cheers for this!

Just needed to know I'd not ended up with a set that were actually for another model! :D

David340R
3rd March 2012, 13:22
Anyone know if the towing mirrors are still available anywhere? Rimmers showing them out of stock.

Jakg
3rd March 2012, 13:55
Are your mirrors bullets or skullcaps?

IIRC Skullcaps were fitted to the ZS / ZR, and then to the ZT later in life.

oldcarguy
3rd March 2012, 15:43
Anyone know if the towing mirrors are still available anywhere? Rimmers showing them out of stock.
They come up on ebay from time to time, usually about £25-£30.

uk_dave&gill
3rd March 2012, 15:55
They come up on ebay from time to time, usually about £25-£30.

Ha! Mine cost £40...... :(

oldcarguy
3rd March 2012, 16:56
Pair on ebay right now.

uk_dave&gill
3rd March 2012, 17:51
Two pairs in fact!

Here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-Caravan-Towing-Mirrors-/330693397140?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item4cfedcca94) and here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-Genuine-Towing-Mirrors-/230755742638?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item35ba1d33ae) :D

yelnats
4th March 2012, 19:14
I had the same difficulty until it was explained to me that the genuine MG Rover mirrors were designed to suit both types of mirrors fitted to 75's and ZT's. Look at the plastic surround on the mirror and you will see it has a recess to accomodate two sizes of door mirror.Offer up the mirror and seat using the recess that matches the rim of the door mirror.It should be a snug fit and will not need adjusting between trips .

David340R
4th March 2012, 20:45
Two pairs in fact!

Here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-Caravan-Towing-Mirrors-/330693397140?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item4cfedcca94) and here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-Genuine-Towing-Mirrors-/230755742638?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item35ba1d33ae) :D

Had found the first pair - went for over £40 with the post. Will see how the other pair go on.

Thanks,

David

uk_dave&gill
4th March 2012, 21:01
Had found the first pair - went for over £40 with the post. Will see how the other pair go on.

Still slightly cheaper than the ones I got, as they were £40 excluding postage! Good luck on the other set!

uk_dave&gill
4th March 2012, 21:02
I had the same difficulty until it was explained to me that the genuine MG Rover mirrors were designed to suit both types of mirrors fitted to 75's and ZT's. Look at the plastic surround on the mirror and you will see it has a recess to accomodate two sizes of door mirror.Offer up the mirror and seat using the recess that matches the rim of the door mirror.It should be a snug fit and will not need adjusting between trips .

Will have a closer look next time we use them. Deffo plan to set them up as L/R so that each time they are on we don't have to adjust them! :D

yelnats
7th March 2012, 14:39
Should have mentioned L/R marking,sorry :)

uk_dave&gill
7th March 2012, 15:01
Should have mentioned L/R marking,sorry :)

No worries! Out of interest, are they actually marked L/R? (I would check, but have left them in the caravan!!)

yelnats
24th April 2012, 19:04
The mirrors are identical and will fit either side.I fitted mine the first time,adjusted them ,marked them L+R and now fit them each trip without having to reset them.Quick and easy,haven't needed to alter setting since day 1.:cool:;)

reworht
25th April 2012, 17:57
You CAN still get a bargain - got a pair of original Rover towing mirrors, with fitting instructions, off Ebay for 99p :D + 16 miles worth of diesel to collect. Seller also GAVE me a pair of proper Rover clip-on beam deflectors for Continental use - again, complete with original fitting instructions!
I was so embarrassed at 99p - I gave him a fiver :p:

uk_dave&gill
25th April 2012, 18:16
:eek:

You did well there, as they mostly seem to go for mid £30's or more

Must have slipped under everyone else's radar! :D