PDA

View Full Version : Forgetful Radio & Seats in the cold

z2mpd
28th September 2007, 21:12
Hi all, my first post!

Wonder if anyone could advise....

I bought my 2004 Contemporary SE CDTi just a month ago. Everything was fine until we had the cold snap a week or so ago. Every day now the radio needs the authorisation code entered and I have to retune (its the Harman Kardon M3-100 model).

At the same time the memory seats also became erratic - sometimes when you press one of the buttons it springs into life and remembers the settings, other times it just nudges a bit and forgets the settings!

Any advice appreciated - love the car - this is just niggling me!

I have seen a link for the seat diagnostics so I'll give that a try.
I was thinking it may be the battery but its only 3 years old and there are no other signs of electrical problems - its starts every time on the button.

Christopher
28th September 2007, 21:57
It does sound like battery doesn't it?! Although if it starts OK that seems to rule that out!?

I'm sure someone will be around with more suggestions shortly.

Welcome - by the way :D

sworks
28th September 2007, 22:22
What if the battery is using so much current to start the car that the drop is causing the radio to lose it's code. Try jump leads before you turn the engine over and see if the radio keeps its code

Moonstone
29th September 2007, 19:01
The radio has a direct battery supply for retaining settings (and operation without ignition key) as well as a feed from the ignition switch. Is it possible the first one has failed? I don't know if the radio can operate without the direct feed, but it may be worth checking fuse 22 (as per Haynes, but check your own handbook).

z2mpd
30th September 2007, 21:30
Thanks for the tips, but....

I haven't used the car for 48 hours - just been outside and checked the radio - it's fine and its remembered the settings! Mind you it has been pretty mild today and yesterday. Only seems to happen in cold weather!

I'll check out the fuse as soon as I can.

Do you think the radio reset and memory seat issues are different problems or related?

Anyone know if either of these go through the BCU (??) (I think I've seen that somewhere - think its the ecu behind the dash).

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

Teflon
1st October 2007, 13:06
Just a thought, but if it has only happend when it's cold, could it be related to a fault with the heated rear window? The HRW comes on automatically below a certain temp (can't remember what) and maybe it is this causing the memory lapse. I would suggest switching on the HRW manually before starting, ande see if this causes the radio \ seats etc to forget their settings.

At least it may narrow it down a tad.

Hope this helps,

Cliff

David3807
1st October 2007, 14:34
On the basis that its something that comes on automatically when cold how about the FBH (Fuel Burning Heater).

If its not the HRW then unplug the FBH for a few days and see if that cures the problems.

z2mpd
8th November 2007, 22:38
Thanks for your suggestions - apologies for the delay. I did check the fuses but nothing there.

I found quite a few bits of info on the net about the head unit that I had. Its an Iovox M3-100 which was a Korean bit of kit and was only used in Rovers for a short period and was replaced apparently by a VDO/Philips system due to problems with the Iovox unit. Other people had been experiencing similar problems!

I therefore decided to take it apart to have a look! It kept skipping CD's since I had to force a CD out since it refused to eject and I really couldn't tolerate having to reauthorise and retune every single day and occasionally several times in a single day!

Anyway, I found what looked like a small single cell type battery (about the size of the old 1/2p. It was hard soldered to the circuit board. I'm guessing maybe this had given up recharging and therefore losing settings even though power was always supplied to the head unit (checked that too!).

So, in the end I replaced this unit with a lovely little Alpine that plays mp3 disks with ease and has ipod connection and bluetooth handsfree. It sounds absolutely superb through the Harman Kardon speakers and I'm really pleased.

I think the memory seats were a red herring as they seem to be behaving themselves now.

I'm happy again :) (except the fact that I only get about 35 mpg from a 2.0 CDTi diesel but I'm going to send another post about that :( !!)