PDA

View Full Version : Advice Given: Removing the bordMonitor.

myjess
30th September 2007, 14:36
If you are lucky enough to have one of these like me, then this may help you in the future.

I had to remove the bord monitor because the left selector knob was loose.
If you read other threads it probably tells you how to do this, the manual does anyway, but what might not be so apparent, or maybe I just didnt read the manual well enough is:
When turning the screw behind the left selector knob that quarter turn anticlockwise, just be real careful not to force it. Mine was already turned before I attempted it, so someone must have already been in there before I bought the car last year.
Anyway, I was trying to turn it and one of the bits for the screwdriver slot broke off. Luckily I found out that it had already been turned.
So I was able to take the bordmonitor out, and I had to take the little thinymagig apart and hacksaw a new slot, very carefully!!!
Of course I lost the circlip in the process cos I was rushing and so had to use another bigger one, but used the part of the circlip that the pliers go into, this was just the right size to fit round the small axle.

All's well now, but just be careful!

Keith
30th September 2007, 16:04
One thing to note the rotary switch fitting are loose by default

You will notice there is a spacer so the when the nut is tight the knob is free to self centre within the fascia

myjess
4th October 2007, 13:01
One thing to note the rotary switch fitting are loose by default

You will notice there is a spacer so the when the nut is tight the knob is free to self centre within the fascia

Yep, and unfortunately I tightened it too tight, and it's not centered anymore either, so 180degrees of the turn, the knob is tight enough to stick if it is pushed in. I just took to filing down the black plastic bit of the knob, you know, the plastic bit that has the steel insert in it.
No way am I taking that whole assembly out again :)