PDA

View Full Version : PDC Error

SteveReid
24th November 2006, 07:40
Morning folks,

I posted this on the old forum by mistake.
Ive had no probs with my PDC until this morning, put it into reverse and got the long high pitched beep and no sensors.
Tried it a couple of times :(
Where do i start ?

Thanks

Steve

yp53
24th November 2006, 08:08
Ahh - this old chestnut.

The fact that you get a beep suggests that at least the PDC contol unit and reversing switch are not the culprit.

If it had been the reversing switch (giveaway = no reverse lights and no beep) it would have been a straightforward job to remove the reverse switch from the gearbox casing, give it a clean and replace - even my electrical engineer wiggy brother managed it on his, so it can't be difficult.

In your case it is more than likely to be a break in the PDC wiring loom in the rear bumper where 4 wires from the sensors are crimped into 1. There are 2 of these joins, which corrode and eventually cause a break in one or more wires (maybe going through a temperamental stage of occasional operation).

You need to remove the rear bumper, remove the loom, clean up the wires, re-crimp and SOLDER back together, then tape up the join as best you can. Its not difficult if you're handy with a soldering iron. Depending on the extent of the corrosion, you might need to insert some bridging wires to fill the gap vacated by the corroded sections. TIP: The corroded wires will be blackened up from oxidation which the solder wont like. Use some coarse sandpaper to GENTLY scrape this off. If you use a knife you end up taking half the copper with it. It is best to do both crimped joints whilst you are at it, otherwise you are just putting off the fateful day when the other one goes.

There is a small chance you have a dodgy parking sensor. Once you are happy that the loom is intact, and PDC is still not working, get someone to cycle the gearstick in and out of reverese (with the ignition on) and put your ear to ear sensor in turn - you should hear a click. If you don't - either you haven't mended the loom properly, or you have a duff sensor. If the latter, do not despair, I have 2 spare used ones available - pm me if required.

Kandyman
24th November 2006, 08:10
Morning there SteveReid,

There is no mistake posting over there :)

Welcome to your clubs forums, gt a cup of tea and pull up a chair and get ready to read the "HOW TO" named How to fix or avoid common parking sensor issues /get at the reverse switch http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=50

hope it helps :) let us know how you get on

JohnFol
24th November 2006, 08:46
Steve, also worth giving them a clean first.

SteveReid
24th November 2006, 09:09
Thanks for the replies guys,
Got the rear pads to do this weekend so my ob list just got longer..
Whats the rear bumper like to take off ?
I had a towbar fitted and the grease monkey who did that had it off in minutes i think.
Been posting on the old forum for quite a while now :)

Keith
24th November 2006, 11:30
Hi Steve
Bumpers are easy to remove, if you can't look it up I will dig out my towbar fitting instructions as it explains it all in there best to have a helper though and something soft to put it on

iirc two screws under the wheel arches two under the car and the ones in a row where you open the boot then pull out the sides off the clips same as the front one

And just because your new here it is not an excuse to ask techie question in the wrong place so I will shift this for you :)

Paid off that Barclaycard bill yet?

SteveReid
24th November 2006, 11:51
Thanks keith,

No, the barclaycard bill is ever increasing with 2 girls to buy for for xmas and what with my present to myself.. one of ron's boxes :)

I'm changing rear pads this weekend so i might have a go at it then.. weather permitting

Steve