PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise

ERic
1st October 2007, 18:54
Hi Group,
Last year I got a 2003 MG ZT-T 190 with 40.000 km on the clock. I encounter a strange vibration nose at +/- 800 RPM and sometimes between 800 and 1.200 RPM at acceleration. The car runs otherwise very fine, there is no mechanical problem at all. I saw another ZT with the same strange noise on acceleration. I am wondering if it comes from the exhaust manifold. Any ideas?

Thanks for all help,

Eric
Luxembourg

steve00117
1st October 2007, 19:42
Do a search on here for vis valves or vis motors, sounds like it could be your problem.

ERic
1st October 2007, 20:03
Thanks for help, but I don't think its the vis motor (but i will check it )as my car runs perfectly, under 3000 RPM lots of torque but slow, above it runs (and drinks) like a rocket and it is a pleasure to drive.
Eric

Christopher
1st October 2007, 20:05
Eric, if it is coming from around the centre console area it might be the CAT - mine started vibrating at those RPMs until it collapsed and then REALLY started to rattle!!

HTH

ERic
1st October 2007, 20:10
Thanks Christopher,

You may be right, so I presume it is nothing to worry about until I need a new cat.

Eric

Christopher
1st October 2007, 20:12
If it is anything like mine it will be gone within a week or so!! ;)

ERic
1st October 2007, 20:27
I notice the noise for several month now, it is a very suptile noise, somethink like brrrrrt for 1/10 second, and only at a certain RPM, normaly under 1.000 on acceleration. My wife doesn't even notice it (I know, the ZT runs best over 4.000 RPM)

Eric

Mike
1st October 2007, 20:58
I'd investigate the downpipe flexi joint (downpipe from the exhaust manifold). These come loose and vibrate at lowish rpm - as reported on a few KV6's. iirc the fix is either replace at ££££££ :eek: or there was a cheap and effective fix posted on here by iirc Keith. I'll have a hunt and see if I can find it tonight or tomorrow.

hth

amableson
2nd October 2007, 13:41
I had this noise early on in ownership, before the demise of rover, my local dealer said it was normal, it sounds like a cow mooing on take-up of the clutch, apparently there was a factory bulletin about it.