PDA

View Full Version : FANS... good news, I think

crofts
2nd October 2007, 17:33
After a member mentioned he had fitted a Kenlowe fan I contacted them today for further details.
Indeed Kenlowe have specifically looked at the 75/MG and come up with a practical solution and one suitable for most competent DIY'ers.
Price is £169 incl VAT ex stock. Includes all fittings and instructions (not sort it out yourself ! !)
Motor has brushes but service life is around 5,000 hours which should see most cars to end of life.
Can be wired for 2 speed operation.
I have FULL details incl. photos & drawings.
If there is support from club members they are prepared to offer members a discount.
As you probably know Kenlowe have been in business a long time and are well known to Land Rover owners and kit car builders.

If you PM me your email address I will gladly forward the full information.

If members would PM me with their level of interest I will convey this to Kenlowe and discuss further the discount.

This seems an excellent opportunity to 'tell' Siemens to take a run............... for the shoddy product they supplied!
Of course Kenlowe are also UK based for support.

MGOracle
2nd October 2007, 17:38
PM sent.

As long as they are ok for the diesels and can adapt from the older 3 speed motors I'm very happy!

Mike
2nd October 2007, 17:50
Sounds like a good deal, even if you get a mechanic to fit for you. The plastic fan shroud requires modification with a Stanley knife (!) but otherwise it looks a straightforward job.

Great work Dave.

crofts
2nd October 2007, 18:03
Thanks Mike............. but I STILL haven't done my tax return that I came into the office to do this morning ! !
Thank heavens I'm retired !
Cheers, Dave

Keith
2nd October 2007, 19:24
Crofts can you PM me the details please, what we then need is a Guinea Pig :)

Bernard LPG
2nd October 2007, 19:36
Crofts can you PM me the details please, what we then need is a Guinea Pig :)

It's not going to be me, I've seen two brand new Kenlowe fans fail catastrophically in the last 2 months.

Mike
2nd October 2007, 19:38
It's not going to be me, I've seen two brand new Kenlowe fans fail catastrophically in the last 2 months.

Tell us more?

crofts
2nd October 2007, 23:58

Thats very interesting Bernard. I really thought this was an answer to a prayer in view of the numerous posts of fan failures, continually.
Please post your experiences, you don't explain how & on what they failed. There are thousands of Land Rovers with Kenlowe's out there !
Dave

Bernard LPG
3rd October 2007, 09:20
One of my customers had a Kenlowe fitted to his Nissan 4X4 in place of the original viscous coupled unit as an economy exercise. The fan seized solid within a few days. It was replaced without question by Kenlowe but the replacement suffered the same fate within a couple of weeks. I don't know if the subsequent overheating has damaged the engine. Probably not as the fan only really came on when idling for a time.
The original viscous unit is now back on the vehicle.
I'll ask the guy what the final outcome was when I see him again, that is if he ever descends from the roof that he hit!

mayor
3rd October 2007, 09:51
I am supprised to hear about the lifespan of Kenlowe fans I had one retro fitted to my Triumph Stag many moons ago which as you all may recall suffered cooling problems. This kit ofcourse was simply wired into the water stat and no way as sophisticated as modern cooling requirements but it was very reliable

crofts
3rd October 2007, 11:33
One of my customers had a Kenlowe fitted to his Nissan 4X4 in place of the original viscous coupled unit as an economy exercise. The fan seized solid within a few days. It was replaced without question by Kenlowe but the replacement suffered the same fate within a couple of weeks. I don't know if the subsequent overheating has damaged the engine. Probably not as the fan only really came on when idling for a time.
The original viscous unit is now back on the vehicle.
I'll ask the guy what the final outcome was when I see him again, that is if he ever descends from the roof that he hit!

Hi Bernard. Thanks for responding.
I was somewhat concerned at your report as I am aware of how long Kenlowe have been in business and some of the applications (even 2 on LR's converted to V8 years ago !)
I therefore spoke to Kenlowe this morning and explained your story.
He could not recall this specific incidence but said " yes, there are instances of occasional failures but all have common reasons"
They are nearly always caused by incorrect fitting, wiring and incorrect/missing resistors etc. (even 1 customer who fitted on wrong side of radiator, air blowing forward. Changed polarity of motor when of cause the fan just thrashed air)
Problems are more common on 4x4's usually from not mounting securely. In off road use the chassis flexes with resultant change in position of fan unit and, more commonly, the fan blades jamming momentarily and blowing the fuse or burning the motor out.
He is pretty confident this was the problem with the Nissan 4x4 that you are referring to.
He assures me that they just do not have problems with their motors.
I just do not see this type of problem arising with our cars

crofts
3rd October 2007, 12:57
Kenlowe gave me names of 4 garages that have purchased units for 75's & ZT's
Clifton Lane Ltd. Nr Kettering/ Northampton Tel:- 01604 677738
Joseph Metcalf & Sons County Durham
Cross Street Garage Sale (Nr Manchester)
Guava Guildford

Spoke to Clifton Lane. They have been fitting them under warranty due to unavailability of Rover part
I asked for a fitted price and was quoted £429.36. However I could hear in background they have charged them out at the Rover fan price + labour ! ! !
Said it takes a day as they have had to make up a wiring loom but I think Kenlowe have now addressed this.
Have had no problems with fitted units.
Just confirmed with Kenlowe. The wiring supplied is custom made for connections as per the Kenlowe wiring diagram.
They did say, however, if an alternative air con take up connection is preferred then a modified loom may be necessary.

Keith
3rd October 2007, 12:57
5000 hours that's 208.33 days with the AC on assuming you can stay awake that long :)

Otoh assuming 3 hours driving a day 365 days a year then that gives us 4.5 years which seems reasonable

Crofts I have your pics

I like the mounting drawings
I don't like their wiring kit though as I would strongly recommend using the existing control box after all that is perfectly designed for the job and properly manged by the ECU

Could you drop them a line would they do a "Fan and Mounting hardware only" kit at a reduced price?

We might even be so bold as ask them for an 17" evaluation kit for the "club" and I will document how to wire it in to the existing control box

Also from the pictures they seem to have had a go at fitting a few, did they do any exercise to match CFM output to the OEM one if so do they have any figures as I have often wondered what the OEM fan CFM output was at the various speeds

thanks

darren w
3rd October 2007, 20:27
[specifically looked at the 75/MG and come up with a practical solution and i have mentioned before i can refurb these fans. i aquired a number of brush kits and have succesfully refurb the fan motor on my ZT. if intersted give me a call 07990 823266 darren.

crofts
5th October 2007, 22:57
I have tried to keep up with all those members requests to send the Kenlowe information where you have advised me your Email address by PM.
If there are folks still wanting the info (8 pages) just send email address. If my email info has not reproduced clearly for you or is missing pages please let me know.
Regards Dave

Jules
5th October 2007, 23:48
These may be isolated incidents, as mentioned previously Kenlowe have been trading since I can remember.

Keith your Tourer looks a fine guinea pig to me :D
I agree with ditching the Kenlowe wiring & keeping the original semi intelligent control box though.

crofts
13th October 2007, 15:34
Bump.
(Interesting. 5 times more .org members have requested the information than 75/ZT members !
Question. Does that mean that if you are a 75/ZT club member you are 5 times less likely to have fan problems ? ?)

David3807
13th October 2007, 18:31
Bump.
(Interesting. 5 times more .org members have requested the information than 75/ZT members !
Question. Does that mean that if you are a 75/ZT club member you are 5 times less likely to have fan problems ? ?)

Peeps on here are probably clever b****** who have quietly stored away a spare fan when they were cheep ready for the inevitable :D

JohnDotCom
14th October 2007, 00:37
Just to make sure.....I got 2. :D
seriously going to have to sort out my stock holding or I will end up with Les from SMC down here buying it all up.