PDA

View Full Version : ZT rear spoiler

loupus666
24th November 2006, 11:30
I`ve managed to find a rear spoiler for my ZT (not fitted at birth).....I`m now at the stage where I`m going to drill holes in my boot lid!!!!!!!!
Has anybody got any tips?
Thanks
Mark

Roverron
24th November 2006, 14:09
I`ve managed to find a rear spoiler for my ZT (not fitted at birth).....I`m now at the stage where I`m going to drill holes in my boot lid!!!!!!!!
Has anybody got any tips?
Thanks
Mark

Stick masking tape in the area to be drilled. This makes it easier to mark the position and stop the drill sliding about.

Ron

loupus666
24th November 2006, 14:13
Thanks Ron, my biggest worry is drilling in the right place, the spoiler has two bolts either side, one appears to be located behind the rubber stoppers which gives me around about 10mm of flat steel to choose from......it`s going to be a tense moment drilling through that lovely paint!
Mark

Keith
24th November 2006, 14:30
Mark the spoiler has studs for the nuts (well mine does) which can be removed I would take them out then use something like sheets of blue tack on the boot lid then position spoiler and note where the raised marks appear

Also when you remove the boot lid trim you will see nice holes for the nut runner to fit through

Keith
24th November 2006, 14:35
Of course the other thing to do is make a cardboard template from the spoiler first, making holes in cardboard is a lot cheaper :)

loupus666
24th November 2006, 15:38
Thanks Keith.....the new spoiler (which came from a 52 plate ZT) has a stud & a bolt on each side (ie 4 in total) & the car has no nice holes as you describe! I think I`ll have to make up a full width template from card.
I do like the blu tak theory though most ingenious.
Mark

Ti Rich
25th November 2006, 19:51
Been there and done this!

On mine two of the holes were marked on the underside of the boot lid. One small circle can be seen. This helps no end as once these are drilled the second hole is easy to locate. Check to see if they are there on yours too.

Here is the result with the lip spoiler still in place

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/evansrj/Dsc00607.jpg

Tip - make sure you collect ALL the swarf. I have little bits everywhere rusting away.

loupus666
26th November 2006, 08:18
Thanks Rich...looks good, I`ll have another look. I`m still a little nervous of the drilling as once started theres no going back!
Was the spoiler an option from new as I`ve not seen many ZT`s without it?
Mark

Ken
26th November 2006, 09:08
In support of what TI Rich said make sure all the swarf is cleared away, every last little bit. I once made the mistake of not doing that properly when fitting an aerial on a Hillman Super Imp. It cost me a respray for the wing and bonnet. I thought I had got it all off but there were very tiny bits and within days they were rusted to the paintwork.

Ken

Ti Rich
26th November 2006, 12:07
Thanks Rich...looks good, I`ll have another look. I`m still a little nervous of the drilling as once started theres no going back!
Was the spoiler an option from new as I`ve not seen many ZT`s without it?
Mark

Mine didn't have the large wing spoiler as standard so I brought one second had and fitted it. A lot of the newer cars 2004 on didn't have the larger spoiler, only the 190 models in general. If the little circles are marked on the under side (and if its a ZT they should be) then it's an easy job to drill. Use a centre punch to mark one hole each side and then drill with a small pilot drill first before using the larger drill. Make sure you use good new drill bits and mask around the area with tape. Don't forget to paint the holes before fitting the spoiler, you don't want the hole rusting away!

Good luck.

John Robins
26th November 2006, 21:23
In support of what TI Rich said make sure all the swarf is cleared away, every last little bit. I once made the mistake of not doing that properly when fitting an aerial on a Hillman Super Imp. It cost me a respray for the wing and bonnet. I thought I had got it all off but there were very tiny bits and within days they were rusted to the paintwork.

Ken

Wot's a Hillman Super Imp , sadly I still have a radio fitting kit for the Sunbeam Stiletto I had in '68 including the template for the aerial hole.....and I have the Radio.