PDA

View Full Version : new clutch

mitch
24th November 2006, 16:06
clutch went last week. pedal to the floor, no warning. Anyway £467 later (new slave and clutch) can't believe the differance. the pedal just glides now instead of having to stand on it. It was starting to get embarrassing having one leg much thicker than the other. Really pleased however it has left me with two small problems. Rear wiper no longer comes on automatically when I engage reverse and I no longer have reversing lights. Anyone have any ideas before I have to go through the hassle of returning vehicle to garage? Thanks:confused:

Mike
24th November 2006, 16:15
clutch went last week. pedal to the floor, no warning. Anyway £467 later (new slave and clutch) can't believe the differance. the pedal just glides now instead of having to stand on it. It was starting to get embarrassing having one leg much thicker than the other. Really pleased however it has left me with two small problems. Rear wiper no longer comes on automatically when I engage reverse and I no longer have reversing lights. Anyone have any ideas before I have to go through the hassle of returning vehicle to garage? Thanks:confused:

Reverse switch - either they didn't reconnect it when job finished or it's busted. Switch is not expensive (iirc around £8) and easy to fit yourself. See here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=50

hth

Mike

Mike
24th November 2006, 16:24
btw Welcome to the club. Stick around and enjoy it :D

Jamie
24th November 2006, 16:47
btw Welcome to the club. Stick around and enjoy it :D

Wot

Shame this clutch slave cylinder seems to pop up now and then.....I have theory on this but want to try it out first.

How old and what mileage is your Tourer??

Fiat Puntos suffer a similar fate but the slave cylinder is on the outside....I managed to save the wifes clutch with out removing the gearbox.

mitch
24th November 2006, 17:02
Wot

Shame this clutch slave cylinder seems to pop up now and then.....I have theory on this but want to try it out first.

How old and what mileage is your Tourer??

Fiat Puntos suffer a similar fate but the slave cylinder is on the outside....I managed to save the wifes clutch with out removing the gearbox.
Hi its 98000 miles and an 02. changed the master cylinder myself about 5 months ago.

mitch
24th November 2006, 17:05
Sorry should have said thanks for the welcome and speady replies.

mitch
26th November 2006, 15:14
Thanks again to Mike for his speady and informative reply.
Decided this morning to tackle this daunting task. Feeling very sorry for myself (its cold and damp out there) I ventured outside. Ten minutes later back in house job done. Easy peasy. Tucking in to bacon and mushroom sandwich and cup of coffee which my dear wife made me "to keep me going". I was a bit embarressed to tell her it was all done and didn't need "to be kept going" Thanks again

Kandyman
26th November 2006, 15:29
Well Done mitch, there will be no stopping you now :)

Keith
26th November 2006, 20:57
Timely reminder (happened to me) if they missed the switch it might be worth checking all the bolts holding gearbox to car are all there and tight there are 7 iirc. mine had the top three missing after a clutch change but it took me 10000 miles before I noticed, and that was only because I was preparing an answer to a members problem

:eek: