PDA

View Full Version : speed bumps/grating noise

Gman2
5th October 2007, 10:22
When driving over certain speed bumps (the narrow, high nasty ones) there's a grating, rubbing type noise from the car. The car isn't bottoming out or anything like that. The noise doesn't manifest itself on normal driving, cornering etc. Is it a poss suspension, shock absorber problem........?

tempest grey
5th October 2007, 11:11
Do you have front mudflaps?.

Mine do catch on some speedhumps.

Cheers.

Gman2
5th October 2007, 12:26
Tempest - I do indeed have front flaps! Being intermittent and only over certain bumps they may well be the culprit.

Doh - why didn't I think of that one............:getmecoat:

stocktake
5th October 2007, 12:31
yup, mine do that as well, look for the tell tale scuff marks on the underside of the mudflaps

Simon
5th October 2007, 12:37
If not your mud flaps then have a look under the car just in case anything has come adrift such as engine under tray or even your exhaust. Most likely mud flaps though as the other two will create a lot more noise and are noticeable during normal driving too.

T-Cut
5th October 2007, 13:14
If your mudflaps are grounding on a regular basis, it's worth trimming an inch off the bottom edge to avoid damaging the wing/wheel arch liner. The flaps are robust enough to transfer the impact load up into the bodywork, where something could get busted.

TC