PDA

View Full Version : Tyre well courtesy light, and leaky Tailgate.

Jamie
24th November 2006, 16:52
1 Folks....the coutesy light which comes on in the tyre well on the tourer....how is it activated and switched off? cant seem to see a switch.

2 My tailgate is leaking a little onto the pull out luggage cover....it seems to be running in around the plastic shield over the boot hinges.....both sides, anyone else had this?:confused:

JohnDotCom
24th November 2006, 22:42
Answer to Q2. Yes this has just started happening on mine, leaves a nasty stain mark, and its not 2 years old yet. Will be looking into it this weekend, will post if any joy.....unless someone knows.....

Simon
24th November 2006, 22:45
I know on the saloons that water ingress from around the light clusters due to (poorly designed?) sealing gaskets causes muchos water in the boot (I know - it happend to me.)

I'd check here as the first port of call as it would make sense that Rover would use the same sealing technique for both variants.

Other than that... It could be a case of sitting in the boot while someone else starts hosing down the outside of the car... :rolleyes:

Mike
25th November 2006, 05:32
Jamie,

Have a look here:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=27987 and here

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=129004

hth

Mike

DeeCee
25th November 2006, 11:28
1 Folks....the coutesy light which comes on in the tyre well on the tourer....how is it activated and switched off? cant seem to see a switch.

2 My tailgate is leaking a little onto the pull out luggage cover....it seems to be running in around the plastic shield over the boot hinges.....both sides, anyone else had this?:confused:

Courtesy light controlled by BCU (Body Control Unit) from the same circuit which supplies interior lights..... Any door open, interior lights on, under cover light on.

Have the same problem with my Tourer. Found in my case it was the Glass Hatch, maybe repositioning would fix it. I have cured mine by cleaning the sealing rubber with some silicon based fluid, this lubricates and makes the sealing rubber very supple. Have used, rubber lubricant, tyre wetting cleaner... the stuff that makes the tyres shine also used Ambersil silicone spray. I put it on and then clean it all off so it is not sticky, problem goes away for a month or two.

Christopher
25th November 2006, 12:02
Similar but separate question - where are the 'door switches' that sense when any of the 4 doors are opened? There doesn't appear to be a traditional type switch anywhere - are they inside the door frames? do they use solid-state devices (sensors)?

DeeCee
25th November 2006, 12:16
Not sure, never looked for them, at a guess they will be built into the locks somewhere.

Kandyman
25th November 2006, 12:20
Theses are the door switches, cant see where they fitted to

DeeCee
25th November 2006, 12:49

Looks like the normal earthing type slide switch, never seen them on my car.
Looking at the Rave manual, cannot see any door earth type switch inputs on the BCU. Can see the bonnet and boot switches ok.

Christopher
25th November 2006, 15:51

I think those are wrongly advertised as fitting the 75 on ebay Kandyman ...

driverjgp
25th November 2006, 16:27

What trim level do you have the foot well lights as mine as not got them.

Ken
25th November 2006, 17:04

the coutesy light which comes on in the tyre well on the tourer....

GreyGhost
25th November 2006, 17:12

Are we talking about the front and rear footwell lights that Christopher fitted. MGR never suplied these Christopher made up his own and wired them into the circuit for the interior lights.

Ken
25th November 2006, 17:32
Are we talking about the front and rear footwell lights that Christopher fitted. MGR never suplied these Christopher made up his own and wired them into the circuit for the interior lights.

I wondered that but then noted that he had quoted the original post from Biker in a suit and thought he had miss read tyre well for footwell :lol:

driverjgp
25th November 2006, 17:32

Thats one of the things I don't understand, touches like foot well lights and puddle lights on the doors with the little red light on the doors (rather than a cheap reflector) these things would make very nice touches that would of finished the 75 off nicely, I wouldn't of thought it would of been a great cost considering the price of the car.

GreyGhost
25th November 2006, 18:05
Thats one of the things I don't understand, touches like foot well lights and puddle lights on the doors with the little red light on the doors (rather than a cheap reflector) these things would make very nice touches that would of finished the 75 off nicely, I wouldn't of thought it would of been a great cost considering the price of the car.

I do agree, but take into consideration running on a shoestring budget. Build 30,000 cars a year and save £10.00 on each. Lot of dosh. (a directors wages for a year):( :rolleyes:

These things are easy to retro-fit to our cars at very little cost and pretty satisfying having done them ourselves. Makes them just that bit more special. :)

driverjgp
25th November 2006, 18:42
I do agree, but take into consideration running on a shoestring budget. Build 30,000 cars a year and save £10.00 on each. Lot of dosh. (a directors wages for a year):( :rolleyes:

These things are easy to retro-fit to our cars at very little cost and pretty satisfying having done them ourselves. Makes them just that bit more special. :)

Sounds like a plan for my next project.:D

driverjgp
25th November 2006, 18:51
Perhaps we should have a thread with picture of the different mods done retro or otherwise??

Christopher
25th November 2006, 19:53
Like this one??

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=191

;)

Keith
25th November 2006, 21:51
Not sure, never looked for them, at a guess they will be built into the locks somewhere.

Yep
Each door and boot latch mechanism contains an integral microswitch. When a door or the boot is open, the
microswitch contacts are closed completing an earth path to the BCU. When the door is closed, the earth path is
removed and the connection becomes open circuit.

http://www.midnightphotos.co.uk/userimages/full/12/5129.jpg

driverjgp
26th November 2006, 08:40
Like this one??

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=191

;)

Yeah just like that, this site never stops to amaze me, just when you have seen it all then there is more to see. :twonk:

JohnDotCom
26th November 2006, 11:16
Great Useful Pictures as Usual Keith. Thanks.

Jamie
27th November 2006, 18:34
[QUOTE=Keith;10168]Yep
Each door and boot latch mechanism contains an integral microswitch. When a door or the boot is open, the
microswitch contacts are closed completing an earth path to the BCU.QUOTE]

Thanks everyone....my questions are now answered and solved......leaky boot was solved by applying some silicone bumper restorer to the rubber to make it seat better and a little gentle persuasion given to the position on the lip.

Boot light query was my curiosity and wondering if it had ever led to flat batteries....but of course if it operate with the door micro switches it will extinguish at the same time.

Thanks you all:)