PDA

View Full Version : Air Con - How many drain pipes are there ?

trebor
6th October 2007, 08:19
Only had my 2005 CDTi a few days and already noticed 2 small leaks which is worrying at first, but before i go bac to the garage and make a prat out of myself could do with some advice please.
I have now tracked the leaks down to 2 rubber pipes about 18 inches apart that sit away from the back of the engine almost directly under the front seats.
I know that it is normal for an escape from the aircon system although when i came from work yesterday i had the sunroof open and dont remember having the aircon on.
Does anyone know if these are the aircom drain pipes or is it something more sinister ?

JohnDotCom
6th October 2007, 09:14
There is drain pipes for the air Con, but I cannot say exactly where they are.
After a journey I always end up with a small amount of water from system and this is quiter normal.
I never turn mine off, it runs at all times.
It is also a 2005 Model.
Further comments I'm sure will follow.

comanche
6th October 2007, 09:49
mines the same get 2 pools of water under the car towards the rear of the engine bay, easy way to check is just back the car off a bit once the pools have formed if they are just clean water IE no antifreeze then its just condensate from the air con and nothing to worry about , you will also find you get bigger pools in the summer and smaller in the winter.

comanche

T-Cut
6th October 2007, 11:00
Does anyone know if these are the aircom drain pipes or is it something more sinister ?

As said already, these are condensate drains from the aircon evaporator matrix. However, there are several other drains you should be aware of. The most important ones are in the lower plenum (below the grilled panels near the windscreen). There is one (visible) directly beneath the ECU and the pollen filter. There's another similar one under the brake servo, which is impossible to reach from above. There's an upper drain on the passenger side wing near the bonnet hinge. On pre-facelift cars, there's a similar one on the driver's side. This one was dispensed with in the later models. It's vital that the lower plenum drain is kept clear or it will flood and possibly ruin the ECU (Megabucks to fix). Water can also enter the cab via the pollen filter. Lots of info available about getting at the plenum drain and how to minimise dismantling to do the regular cleanout.

TC

SMC Trading
6th October 2007, 11:06
Sorry for the Mini hijack but talking of aircon, if a system need regassing does it do any harm to leave it for a while?, mine needs regassing and as it is coming up to winter now I was going to leave it until the spring :shrug:

pmessling
6th October 2007, 11:10
Sorry for the Mini hijack but talking of aircon, if a system need regassing does it do any harm to leave it for a while?, mine needs regassing and as it is coming up to winter now I was going to leave it until the spring :shrug:

i would do it now, as it helps clear the windows when they mist up

Mike
6th October 2007, 14:14

Les,

Low gas levels mean that the system does not have a sufficiency ( big word score there;) ), sufficient to keep all the seals lubricated. Dry seals can soon bring very, and I mean very, big bills :eek:

Best to get the system regassed/serviced before Winter imo.

hth

JohnDotCom
6th October 2007, 14:21
:iagree: Wot Always keep charged regardless of season.
The oil within the Air Con Gas helps keep everything OK, suggested regas/Oil is every two years.

Departed
6th October 2007, 14:29
And you should run it every couple of weeks to circulate the oil and keep the seals 'moist'. Even in winter.

T-Cut
6th October 2007, 14:31
And you should run it every couple of weeks to circulate the oil and keep the seals 'moist'. Even in winter.

Weekly.

TC

SMC Trading
6th October 2007, 15:06
I'll get it done tomorrow, thought I'd got away with it for a few months :lol:

JohnDotCom
6th October 2007, 15:07
If it means you will keep all the bits in stock Les...........Leave it :D

SMC Trading
6th October 2007, 15:12
If it means you will keep all the bits in stock Les...........Leave it :D

Oh, I have got all the bits don't you worry, the only thing I'm kicking myself about is a walnut steering wheel, I must have sold 150 of them over the last year and now I want one I can't get one :pillow:

JohnDotCom
6th October 2007, 15:14
Isn't that always the Way?
Your have to join the Waiting list at SMC Les. :D :getmecoat:

SMC Trading
6th October 2007, 16:53
Isn't that always the Way?
Your have to join the Waiting list at SMC Les. :D :getmecoat:

I'll give them a ring on Monday and see if I can queue jump, it's not what you know it's who you know ;)

trebor
6th October 2007, 21:40
Thanks for the responses about the air con drain pipes - put my mind at rest !

JohnDotCom
6th October 2007, 21:44
Thanks for the responses about the air con drain pipes - put my mind at rest !
Sorry for going off on a Tangent there for a minute or two. :D

Keith
6th October 2007, 21:45
just to get back on topic there are two aircon drain tubes they are clipped back against the passenger and drivers footwell walls behind the subframe and both are slightly splayed out

Really obvious with the subframe removed which I suppose means I ought to take some pics tomorrow ;)

Simon
6th October 2007, 21:49
just to get back on topic there are two aircon drain tubes they are clipped back against the passenger and drivers footwell walls behind the subframe and both are slightly splayed out

Really obvious with the subframe removed which I suppose means I ought to take some pics tomorrow ;)

Are they obvious even with the great plain of plastic that is the KV6 undertray in place? It pretty much obscures everything in site under the car but I'm assuming these drainage tubes exit behind this?

Keith
6th October 2007, 21:59
yep they stick out at the back behind the tray

Keith
7th October 2007, 20:05
Here you go
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=91592#post91592