PDA

View Full Version : My Turn For Help - Clutch fell to the floor,

Alex30013k
6th October 2007, 12:22
Just went to go out in my car and went to drive off and the clutch just fell to the floor and the car stalled,

I had the clutch and the the slave cylinder in done back in jan,

How much for a Master cylinder and how easy to change?

Just tried to call EMS but they are shut, i need it done ASAP,

:(

Phil
6th October 2007, 15:30
Sorry to hear that. Do you have a parts warranty on the bits that were fitted? You might be as well to PM Paranoid Carlos as he had a lot of trouble with his clutch.

SMC Trading
6th October 2007, 15:32
Just went to go out in my car and went to drive off and the clutch just fell to the floor and the car stalled,

I had the clutch and the the slave cylinder in done back in jan,

How much for a Master cylinder and how easy to change?

Just tried to call EMS but they are shut, i need it done ASAP,

If you get stuck we have a recycled master cylinder on the shelf ;)

Alex30013k
6th October 2007, 16:06
If you get stuck we have a recycled master cylinder on the shelf ;)

Recycled?

Will have to work out how much a new one etc is first,

But thanks for letting me know,

:)

JohnDotCom
6th October 2007, 16:37
Alex from XPart a New Master cylinder for Diesel and Pipe (Pre Filled) is £232.42 + VAT = £273.09 Ouch!
Part No: STC105480.
Fitting Tool ZUA000040 may also be required. (£3.22).
or give Mr Lates a Bell. :D

Lates
6th October 2007, 17:09
Sorry to hear that. Do you have a parts warranty on the bits that were fitted? You might be as well to PM Paranoid Carlos as he had a lot of trouble with his clutch.

Wonder how his clutch is getting on ;)

Keith
6th October 2007, 21:48
Alex why do you think it is the Master?

JohnDotCom
6th October 2007, 23:31
Alex, Brand New one here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLUTCH-MASTER-CYLINDER-MGZT-ROVER-75-CDTI-TURBO-DIESEL_W0QQitemZ260164970661QQihZ016QQcategoryZ104 14QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Finishes later today (Sunday).

Alex30013k
7th October 2007, 12:05
Well back when i had my clutch done i saw dribbles of fluid from the master, and there is some now, have been meaning to get it done since

but the slave was only done about 6 months ago,

Alex30013k
7th October 2007, 12:16
Alex, Brand New one here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLUTCH-MASTER-CYLINDER-MGZT-ROVER-75-CDTI-TURBO-DIESEL_W0QQitemZ260164970661QQihZ016QQcategoryZ104 14QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Finishes later today (Sunday).

Thanks for that will look into it,

What's involved in fitted this? or will i need to get it to a garage?

Paranoid Carlos
8th October 2007, 10:45
From bitter experience anybody with clutch problems would be advised to mark the parts the best they can.

Ie pipes going into box and master cylinder.

I now strongly suspect the Slave was never changed originally and took 5 attempts before I had a working clutch.

God just looking at that picture makes me feel ill again......

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/carl682/CIMG0163.jpg

Slave wasn't pushing straight due to plastic part popping off as soon as the clutch was pressed, making spring ineffective, and nicely overheated the flywheel in the process.

All nicely sorted out thanks to lates and his connections!!!

Paranoid Carlos
8th October 2007, 10:58
Can I just point out that Lates was in no way connected with the original repair :o

I wouldn't have hesitated to have used him but the car was stranded and this place was about 2 minutes away

He helped me when I became desperate and was about to belt someone or assault my car with something heavy, after months of forced days off work, breakdowns, not wanting to drive/own the car it was all sorted in a couple of days.:lol:

Lates
8th October 2007, 11:47
Monseur Paranoid,
Good to hear your clutch is still going well. :D

Keith
8th October 2007, 12:01
Slave wasn't pushing straight due to plastic part popping off as soon as the clutch was pressed, making spring ineffective, and nicely overheated the flywheel in the process.

What broke?
As I understand it a new slave is designed to break two of the retaining clips/screws that keep the spring compressed for fitting on first use or is there more to that than I realise

to quote from a certain CD

"A new slave cylinder has the release bearing locked in the retracted position by two nylon screws. When the clutch
is first operated, these screws shear and allow the spring to extend."

Just curious as I will be fitting one soon so don't want to makes a pigs ear of it

Keith
8th October 2007, 12:03
PS
Carlos my current slave look pretty much like yours above!

PPS
Alex have you checked the quick release connector under the battery in case it has a leak?

Paranoid Carlos
8th October 2007, 12:40
Never seen a new slave close up, but when the guy took the box off the slave was in bits as per the picture.

Don't quote me, but I think you release the slave screws or clips the spring releases but the tabs hold it all together , my tabs were not holding (or not all of them at least)
The plastic piece with the rotating bearing (on the left) was not being pushed squarely hence when you pushed the pedal you could clear the gears, but if you left your foot on, the bearing would creep back leaving about 3/4 free travel till you pumped it up again

Hope it makes sense, I start twitching when I think of 75 clutches:o

If all is ok, you connect the master to slave, pump it twice and it shouldn't need bleeding, as there is no way air can get in.

Paranoid Carlos
8th October 2007, 12:45
Since it has been sorted I have caught up with a few of my old mechanic work colleages, apparently its the most common cause of slave failure rather than leaking fluid as you might think, and considering they are all cheapskates :D its unanimous that genuine or good quality parts are used, As we all know theres Plastic and theres Plastic

Keith
8th October 2007, 12:47
Cheers
I understand they come pre filled from new, I think I would still be inclined to bleed it on fitting though when mating to an existing Master.
I know what you mean about the tabs I have two very chewed up ones on mine.

Did you think of cutting yours in half? I am still curious how the piston part works there does not seem to be enough substance to the side wall for a piston so I was wondering if it is some kind of doghnut?

Paranoid Carlos
8th October 2007, 12:57
I would do but mrs F threw it on a skip :bowdown:

Kept picking it up and looking at it and tutting, don't blame her really, the thing caused a few arguments in my house I can tell you ;)

From my experience on HGV's there was a sort of rolling O ring inside that type of slave and apart from obvious seal failure never seen one break, but apart from being bigger diameter the physical size/strenth was the same as far I remember apart from all the plastic parts being metal.

Alex30013k
8th October 2007, 17:40
PS
Carlos my current slave look pretty much like yours above!

PPS
Alex have you checked the quick release connector under the battery in case it has a leak?

Whats this then?

what am i looking at?

Thax

Keith
8th October 2007, 17:52
Slave and master have a plumbers type quick release fitting with an O ring it is metalic goldy green thing, worth a quick look, rather like this one with the red protecting cap fitted, the other pipe is the bleed valve

http://i15.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b9/6a/1123_1.JPG

Phil
8th October 2007, 17:56
Whats this then?

what am i looking at?

Thax

I've got a photo of the connector in my photos, have a look.:D

Kandyman
8th October 2007, 18:05
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/vbimghost.php?do=viewimages&id=66&pp=15

its one of theses :)

i must say i like the haircut ;)

Phil
8th October 2007, 18:06
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/vbimghost.php?do=viewimages&id=66&pp=15

its one of theses :)

i must say i like the haircut ;)

Thanks, I don't know, a few lagers and all kinds of stupidity occurs in my house!

Alex30013k
8th October 2007, 18:19
i got my car booked in on Wednesday, the part should arrive 2 moro morning,

They want £40 to £50 to fit the master,

;)

Phil
8th October 2007, 18:20
i got my car booked in on Wednesday, the part should arrive 2 moro morning,

They want £40 to £50 to fit the master,

;)

Can't grumble at that. Good luck.:D

Alex30013k
8th October 2007, 18:22
best thing about it is that where im parked now cos of where im living i just roll the car down the hill and the garage is at the end of the road. And no im not joking,

:D :D

Alex30013k
8th October 2007, 18:49
Just went out to have a little drive and the clutch was fine,

I could really do with driving it 2 moro what do you think?

just motorway driving?

Paranoid Carlos
8th October 2007, 19:04
That looks just like when I had a colonoscopy!!!!!:D

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/6646d71878bf199.jpg (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1999)

Alex30013k
10th October 2007, 16:30
Well they changed it, My m8 picked up my car, 15 miles later peddle to the floor again,

They got the car back and i found out they never used this tool to stop it leaking,

Any how i told them this and they said they have bled the clutch,

Any how it seems fine, but creaks,

i want to bleed the clutch for my self, but i need to get some guts, is it easy to do?

Alex30013k
10th October 2007, 21:48
Well it went again, Any one any ideas?

What should i do?

Keith
10th October 2007, 22:04
I think you have a slave problem

Alex30013k
10th October 2007, 22:17
Right think i will just get the car taken to EMS and hope they can help me!

Are Slaves on back order?

JohnDotCom
10th October 2007, 23:05
If they diagnosed that and its still faulty Alex, take it back to them as Fault has not been repaired.

Keith
11th October 2007, 08:20
Actually Alex it is worth doing the basics
Double check if the master has any fluid in it
Again check the quick release connector is ok and dry
You could bleed it yourself just for your own peace of mind
If it is still faulty then it looks like some dismantling will be required to investigate further

Keith
11th October 2007, 08:22
Are Slaves on back order?

X Part did not have any when I ordered mine the other day
Plenty from third parties like Luk and FTE but for some weird reason they are dearer than the OEM one!

75ContempSE
11th October 2007, 11:43
When my clutch went in my last Rover i had the whole lot changed including the master for £980, they had the car for 4 days, they told me, how true it is because i have no idea about car mechanics that once the clutch had gone they had to change the master cylinder as something with it breaks and it is safer to change the lot, mine was fine once that did it and drove like new, but fot me once the clutch had gone i never really trusted the car and thats why i got rid and had my auto.

Alex30013k
11th October 2007, 13:33
Actually Alex it is worth doing the basics
Double check if the master has any fluid in it
Again check the quick release connector is ok and dry
You could bleed it yourself just for your own peace of mind
If it is still faulty then it looks like some dismantling will be required to investigate further

Well as it stands EMS are going to fix it as it is covered under the warranty,

Im going to have a go at bleeding it later,

Just need to read up on what im doing...

Rommel
11th October 2007, 16:02
Alex why do you think it is the Master?

Hi, yes a couple of months ago with my 2004 "facelift" 1.8 Tourer with only 15,000 miles on the clock!!! Gave garage ok to replace all (not knowing about the DMF).....so great job done, big dosh....only failure was drive plate..fell to bits!.material off rivets, bad parts, pressure plate ok, slave / thrust ok & duel mass flywheel ok , on saying that as good as a 15,000 miles using can get.......it was a warranty job, i only got £200 towards job & am trying to get some back by ebaying the secondhand parts(still current at moment).....The parts aint cheap DMF are about £280 ish slaves seem to be £180 ish all prob plus vat & fitting!......my bits are only £60 ish the pair! see bay......thats if they fit.......just thought id throw something in, cars great but it threw me @ 15K miles from new!

Alex30013k
11th October 2007, 16:51
Well just bleed the clutch not the easiest job but had a go, the put did feel like it ran dry on one pump so hope that dont cause a problem,

Any how its got rid of the creak, and the clutch seems very high, any how kept pressing the clutch and all seems ok, im going for a drive later to see how it does,

lol

GreyGhost
11th October 2007, 18:27
Well just bleed the clutch not the easiest job but had a go, the put did feel like it ran dry on one pump so hope that dont cause a problem,

Any how its got rid of the creak, and the clutch seems very high, any how kept pressing the clutch and all seems ok, im going for a drive later to see how it does,

lol

Hope that has sorted it but do get it checked out by EMS as well just to be on the safe side.

Alex30013k
12th October 2007, 07:36
Nope still fell to the floor,

But found this fluff in my old master so 100% its the slave, but its being replaced next Friday under warranty,

only another week of trying to get to work,

JohnDotCom
12th October 2007, 11:02
Buy a V8 for occasional use Alex as a back up! http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Alex30013k
12th October 2007, 13:58
Wish i could, lol

;)

Alex30013k
19th October 2007, 18:15
A Happy End....

Turned out that the slave that was fitted back in jan as faulty,

Any how Xpart are paying for the new Slave and the cost of fitting it,

Well Pleased!!

Glad to have the car back, the last week with a nice but rubbish 07 reg Ford Fiesta could not come round any quicker,

You see how good the 75 when youhave been away from it!

GreyGhost
19th October 2007, 18:19
At last, must be a nightmare having a car with a clutch. :D

JohnDotCom
19th October 2007, 22:56
Quite agree GG.
Surely Humans were designed for Automatics, thats why there are two pedals,
One for Right foot, the Speed Pedal :) and other for left foot braking.
Putting Three there is just confusion. :D

riso
20th October 2007, 05:05
Quite agree GG.
Surely Humans were designed for Automatics, thats why there are two pedals,
One for Right foot, the Speed Pedal :) and other for left foot braking.
Putting Three there is just confusion. :D

You use both feet ?
Riso

GreyGhost
20th October 2007, 10:11
You use both feet ?
Riso

Ditto that :confused: Or is that only when you are doing doughnuts in Maccy Ds car park with the rest of the girls. :D :D :pillow::SHOCKED:

JohnDotCom
20th October 2007, 23:27
Ditto that :confused: Or is that only when you are doing doughnuts in Maccy Ds car park with the rest of the girls. :D :D :pillow::SHOCKED:
Yes, I nearly always Left foot Braked, even after my Teenage Years. :D
Makes it a Quicker getaway with an Automatic in Sports Mode.
.....even use to use the Tacho and engine noise to change Gears in the Old Days with the Official vehicles sometimes.