PDA

View Full Version : Rear screen demister turns off my radio

neilb740
23rd January 2012, 12:07
Hi folks
Does anyone have any idea why i loose all radio reception whenever the rear screen demist is on? I just get static but as soon as i turn it off its prefect reception.
I have been told that the radio ariel IS the demister on the ZT, could i have some kind of earth fault?
Also the demist is always on whenever i start the car, is this normal? i can turn it off with the button though. Ive had 2 other ZT's (although admitedly that was a while ago) and i dont remeber them doing this.

Cheers

Neil

chrissyboy
23rd January 2012, 12:13
there is a thread on this ..cant find it atthe mo , the aerial is built in to the eliments of the rear window i think it needs the connector cleaning ..im sure if i got it wrong someone will correct this ...

chipsceola
23rd January 2012, 13:34
Rear screen heater always comes on if outside temp below 10 degrees, that's the default setting. Arial is built in to rear window on saloons, rear side windows on tourer, often find threads of interference to radio caused by por connections or break in element.
Chips

stocktake
23rd January 2012, 13:38
..im sure if i got it wrong someone will correct this ...

Only if they are in France Chris ;)

Seriously. As above really, broken elements on the rear screen are a known source of interference.

neilb740
23rd January 2012, 13:39
Thanks for your replies,
The demister works fine so im guessing there are no breaks in the element itself.
Looks like its multimeter time and a game of hunt the rusty plug then lol

stocktake
23rd January 2012, 13:41
Thanks for your replies,
The demister works fine so im guessing there are no breaks in the element itself.
Looks like its multimeter time and a game of hunt the rusty plug then lol
Seem to remember depending on the year there is a booster on one of the rear pillars, best start there ;)

chipsceola
23rd January 2012, 14:39
Try this thread for a little more info on screen arial and demister, with diagram.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=31849
Chips

SD1too
23rd January 2012, 16:31
.. could I have some kind of earth fault?
Hi Neil,

You could indeed. There is a filter module behind the trim on the OSR 'D' pillar which may be faulty, but it's more likely to be a poor connection/earth fault as you say.
Also the demist is always on whenever I start the car, is this normal? I can turn it off with the button though.
It's a good idea to do that. It reduces the demand on the electrical system and so helps to keep your battery fully charged.

Simon.

neilb740
27th January 2012, 13:41
I have no idea what I did but the problem is now solved.
I guess that disconecting/ re-conecting everything to check it must have sorted the bad connection.
Realy handy tip to know where to look for that booster.

Dashiel
27th January 2012, 14:41
I would say you have a wire that is earthing. this is usually the case with bizarre electrical behaviour. water leak maybe?