PDA

View Full Version : Premium Grill

Zeb
25th November 2006, 07:59
I want this (a lot!) but cannot think of any justification that Madame might fall for to allow me to buy it.... but I just know someone here will want it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250051597823&rd=1&rd=1

Phil
25th November 2006, 08:03
Zeb, its £85.00 BIN, if I had a facelift, I'd rip his arm off, buy it before he realises!!!!!!

Kandyman
25th November 2006, 08:08
i think he does know what he's got as he is a big poster on .org i just can't remeber his username.

Hello if your here :)

i would love one of theses on mine, i love Alex's front end

Zeb
25th November 2006, 08:08
Zeb, its £85.00 BIN, if I had a facelift, I'd rip his arm off, buy it before he realises!!!!!!

I know, I know but then there is the postage and the painting costs.......and the chrome bits to buy......*sobs quietly*

Kandyman
25th November 2006, 08:11
boxwellm is his user name over on .org
have a read in teh for sale section on there http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=159402

Kandyman
25th November 2006, 08:16
Not sure what went on but it was for sale here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-premium-V8-front-bumper-extremely-rare_W0QQitemZ110055340657QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10414 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
by seller strandloop it sold for £81 on the 18th Nov, now it for sale by ceetdm.

Phil
25th November 2006, 08:20
Thats well cheap! I almost wish I had a facelift to put it on!!:lol:

Zeb
25th November 2006, 08:26
Not sure what went on but it was for sale here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-premium-V8-front-bumper-extremely-rare_W0QQitemZ110055340657QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10414 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
by seller strandloop it sold for £81 on the 18th Nov, now it for sale by ceetdm.

Hmm...sounds a little sus...I wonder if it is damaged or summat?

Kandyman
25th November 2006, 08:34
I don’t think it is sus, I think he has problems with the BIN on the first auction he had on it.

Like I said he’s boxwellm a good guy on .org so if you’re interested give him a PM on there and work a deal out ;)

Kandyman
25th November 2006, 08:36
It does seem cheap and it looks like it might cost £70ish to get the chrome and stuff for it and then painting and fitting.

But I still would be tempted and buy the rest as and when I had the money :)

Alex30013k
25th November 2006, 08:38
Think i paid £250 for evey thing! Bumper plus grill,

Lights were £300

Paint was £110

Zeb
25th November 2006, 08:40
I don’t think it is sus, I think he has problems with the BIN on the first auction he had on it.

Like I said he’s boxwellm a good guy on .org so if you’re interested give him a PM on there and work a deal out ;)

You are probably right, but two owners in two weeks? Or are Strandloop and he one and the same?

Kandyman
25th November 2006, 08:41
Alex keep a eye on your bumper when your over next weekend, i might just swap it when we got mine off ;)

Kandyman
25th November 2006, 08:43
You are probably right, but two owners in two weeks? Or are Strandloop and he one and the same?

Could be the same person or his mate selling it for him as it went wrong the first time, i dont think its 2 owners as its been up for sale on .org from the 13th

Zeb
25th November 2006, 08:45
Could be the same person or his mate selling it for him as it went wrong the first time, i dont think its 2 owners as its been up for sale on .org from the 13th

Dammit. I am sooo tempted...wonder what the lowest best offer he would accept might be........*has thoughts of OH's wrath......hides*...ok I have pm'd him for better photos...cos the one on there is a tad weeny and you cannot see much!

Kandyman
25th November 2006, 08:51
Nice one Zeb, make sure he knows your a .org and club member and he might knock a few quid off, i put a bid in on ebay and got a PM from a .org/Club member asking if it was me biiding, when i said yes he knock a fair bit of for me. Thanks yp53 ;) :)

Alex30013k
25th November 2006, 10:23
You can get the chome grill fine, its just the mesh that is hard to get hold off!

But then a few ppl have kisy gone and got some of hallfords!

STUBIE
25th November 2006, 12:40
The chrome trim for the premium grill is in short supply, I phoned a couple of Rover dealers and even X-part during the summer and they could supply most of the grill bits, apart from the chrome surround, the most expensive part at around £80, was not available so I gave up on it.

Maybe with SAIC version of the Premium grill this will be available in the future for a retrofit to mark1 75's

Stubie

tourerfogey
25th November 2006, 13:27
Hi Zeb

I dare you to drive your 75 into the nearest tree, because then you can telll the wife that you NEED to buy a new bumper.

Kandyman
25th November 2006, 13:52
How about you need a new headlight as the bumper has to come of to fit a new one, and when the old bumpers off you might as well stick a new bumper on at the same time. ;)

Have you shown your wife a picture of a premium bumper, she might like it and get it for your xmas :)

Zeb
25th November 2006, 13:54
Very helpful suggestions.....:unlucky:

The premium bumper is perfect but no tow hook cover and I would need a set of spotlights as well as grill, chrome etc....are the indicators the same I wonder? Seller seems a genuinely nice chap btw...

Alan
25th November 2006, 18:45
Does anyone else want this bumper? If not, I will probably buy it.

Zeb
25th November 2006, 18:46
Does anyone else want this bumper? If not, I will probably buy it.

Go for it, just tell him Englishcarl sent you please!:D

Keith
25th November 2006, 18:53
Just been to Halfords Stainless Mesh is £29.99 for a bit 36" x 9"
but I reckon this is better
http://www.superdials.com/ccp51/cgi-bin/cp-app.pl?usr=51F1756832&rnd=8721634&rrc=N&affl=&cip=81.79.159.46&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=9X44MESH&cat=MESHUNIVERSAL&catstr=HOME:MESHUNIVERSAL

My V8 is getting some for Xmas as the matt black stuff looks horrid

Zeb
25th November 2006, 19:51
Just to let folks know. The two bumpers mentioned in this thread are entirely seperate - the seller felt the wording on the first ad was good enough to use again.....;)

yp53
25th November 2006, 20:50
Very helpful suggestions.....:unlucky:

The premium bumper is perfect but no tow hook cover and I would need a set of spotlights as well as grill, chrome etc....are the indicators the same I wonder? Seller seems a genuinely nice chap btw...

I think the tow hook cover is the same rectangular one as on the Mk1 and Mk2 'normal' bumpers - part no DPC101550. If anyone needs a spare (to go with the ebay bumper or otherwise) I've got one in (and I hate to say it) Starlight Silver. Its a bit tatty and probably in need of a respray, but beats paying Rimmers £9 for a new one. If noone wants it it'll be on ebay, and may break my recent record for selling a R75/BMW washer bottle cap for £11.61!

FWIW With an upgrade to this premium type bumper, my advice would be to bide your time and pick up the bits you need as and when they appear on ebay/breakers. It may take you a month or two, but will certainly keep the cost down.

Alan
26th November 2006, 17:10
Picking it up on Saturday - bit of a journey. Does anyone know how flat the back seat should fold in a facelift 75?
Also, where can I get my hands on the chrome surround?

Zeb
26th November 2006, 19:45
Picking it up on Saturday - bit of a journey. Does anyone know how flat the back seat should fold in a facelift 75?

Back seat does not fold terribly flat. You may struggle getting the bumper in and it is a long way to go to find it won't fit!

As to the chrome surround, see previous comments on this thread...

Alex30013k
26th November 2006, 20:06

The bumper will just about go in! - had my V8 bumper in there twice plus the old MK1 bumper at least 5 times!

Head rests off then fold seat down!

Loads of bubble wrap to keep it still!

Alan
26th November 2006, 22:56
What bits do I need for the premium grille? The toe eye cap - I'll use my existing one, ditto the Rover badge. The mesh, as posted in this thread is Halfords or superdials.com, headlights and indicators are also O.K., I don't have foglights so will my existing blanking plates fit? And of course the chrome grille surround. Is there anything else?

Duotone
27th November 2006, 19:12
Alan..
You are going to need..
Grill top.
Grill bottom
Grill left
Grill right
Deflector [behind grill]
Foam insert left
Foam insert right
Badge
Wheel arch liners {premium grill a bit wider the mk2 facelift]
Chrome surround
Fixing bracket[attaches top of bumper to car]
Hope this helps ..
Dave T

Alan
27th November 2006, 22:17
Thanks Dave. - I think:p: BTW, what happened to your bumper. I could have sworn I once saw a picture of your car with the bumper fitted - then it disappeared?
Does this mean you might have bits?

Alex30013k
28th November 2006, 05:18
What i used....

Grill top
Grill bottom
Grill left
Grill right - This is where you could use the mech from hallfords
Deflector [behind grill] - come with my bumper - maybe you can get around it?

Foam insert left - did not use
Foam insert right - did not use

Badge - will be attached to the chrome surround - easy to get hold of.
Wheel arch liners - used my mK1 ones just used a black screw and pulled them put so they fitted.

Chrome surround - You will need this!

Fixing bracket[attaches top of bumper to car] - not sure what this is?

JP53
28th November 2006, 05:48
It will be worth the effort, they look great.

Kandyman
28th November 2006, 06:33
yes they do,

Maybe you could do a more detailed "How To" making note of part numbers and a few pictures of the parts to help members who might want to look in to doing it next ;)

Alan
28th November 2006, 12:19
Me? Or Alex? He's the expert - please Alex...

Kandyman
28th November 2006, 14:20
You Alan :)

I think a how to on removing the bumper is covered, maybe just a few notes on the fitting of a V8 bumper and any difficulties you faced fitting it, but if you just make a note of all the part numbers of the things you have to buy and maybe take a picture of it. I'm sure it would help :)

Duotone
28th November 2006, 16:46
Yes Alan I did have a premium grill for a short time, but I decided
I did not like the look of it, in particular with the two tone paint
finish.. I recently sold it complete to a chap on org, Terry S. he
is going to fit it to his facelift 75.. I dont think Terry S has come
over from the dark side, yet!
Alex.. the bracket mentioned is fixed to the top of the bumper and
has a row of screw holes to attach it to the bodywork above the
radiator.
Best of luck Alan.
Dave T

Alan
28th November 2006, 17:33
Well, I'm already screwed! The chrome surround has been classified byX-Part as "obsolete". That means that no dealer will even try to place an order because it will never be fulfilled.

The foam fillers are priced at £33.75 PLUS VAT PLUS delivery:eek:

I will try and find out about the other items tomorrow.

Lord Minty
28th November 2006, 19:34
Auction now closed and £45 offer declined!

If the chrome bits really aren't available, how's about a ZT owner having a go at MG-ing it instead?

And shurely there must be someone somewhere who could make up the missing parts?

Alan
28th November 2006, 22:49
I bought it off site - that is, I go to his house on Saturday to pick it up with cash in my pocket - the only way to prevent PayPal from slapping the £25 delivery charge on. Better for both of us. No wonder he turned £45 down.:p:
Unless I get lucky, I can see it sitting in my garage for quite a while!

Alan
29th November 2006, 17:01
Update:
"The following are still all currently available from XPart although they are only showing a couple of some of the parts in stock so once they have been sold I wouldn't like to say they will restock.

There is a bracket listed but it is just described as an upper bracket priced at £9.94 (part number DPG000160)
The grille does come in four parts with each part priced at £22.67 (part numbers DQY000370/380/390/400 LFG)
Deflector is £35.28 (part number DXJ000060)
There are different liners listed for the premium bumper but they seem to be the same as MG's from a certain VIN number. They cost £17.81 each (part numbers CLF000720/730)

All prices again exclude VAT and UK postage which would be around £10"

JohnDotCom
29th November 2006, 17:56
I bought it off site - that is, I go to his house on Saturday to pick it up with cash in my pocket - the only way to prevent PayPal from slapping the £25 delivery charge on. Better for both of us. No wonder he turned £45 down.:p:
Unless I get lucky, I can see it sitting in my garage for quite a while!
Its not PayPal that quotes the Postage but the seller themselves. When you have changed it, this will be well worth all the hassle.

Duotone
30th November 2006, 17:29
Alan.
I know the foam inserts from the facelift bumper will not fit the premium bumper, except without surgery,and they then, would not fit back on the facelft bumper, if you ever wanted to change back.
As for the wheel arch liners. I made some extention pieces out of black plastic.They seem to work ok.
The deflector fits behind the top grill and the facelift model is different to the premium model.
Alex 3001k has fitted a premium bumper and he did not need any of the above.
Perhaps he could give you more help.

If I can help any further pm me
Dave T

Alex30013k
30th November 2006, 17:39
Alan.
I know the foam inserts from the facelift bumper will not fit the premium bumper, except without surgery,and they then, would not fit back on the facelft bumper, if you ever wanted to change back.
As for the wheel arch liners. I made some extention pieces out of black plastic.They seem to work ok.
The deflector fits behind the top grill and the facelift model is different to the premium model.
Alex 3001k has fitted a premium bumper and he did not need any of the above.
Perhaps he could give you more help.

If I can help any further pm me
Dave T

My bumper was complete apart from the foam inserts!
http://gallery.mg-rover.org/data/500/CIMG2122.JPG

Alan
1st December 2006, 22:55
With regard to the obsolete chrome grille trim, would this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chrome-Number-plate-surround-Rover-25-45-75-200-400-420_W0QQitemZ170056148203QQihZ007QQcategoryZ52638Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) disguise the fact that the number plate trim is missing?

Alan
2nd December 2006, 13:19
I've picked up the bumper, seller was a top guy with a gorgeous platinum gold contemporary se diesel with all the toys - I'm quite jealous.
He isn't a member of these forums but I have first dibs on his wheels if he sells them!

Kandyman
2nd December 2006, 14:40
Well done Alan,
cant wait to see the pictures :pic: of the finished work :)

I hope he soon will be a member of the forums ;)

Alan
24th January 2007, 20:31
As you can tell, I'm in no rush to fit the bumper but I will take photos at the correct stage.
As well as the bare bumper I have now ordered:
upper bracket
four part grille
Deflector
Duotone style chrome grille badge (for the V8) from Rimmer Bros. who very kindly gave me the December discount even though it is now January.
It looks like the deflector is the last one available and fortunately for me, Rimmer ordered it in when I first enquired in December.

No chrome grille surround however. Obsolete. Not on E-Bay, apparently nowhere. I've considered getting the surround chromed (pretty awkward given you can't remove it from the bumper), can you get chrome paint? It's a silver car otherwise I might have thought about painting it silver.

I'm annoyed now that I passed up a chance to buy a silver toeing eye cover on E-Bay for £3 although I can just use my existing one. I have no fog lights and I'm pretty sure the V8 always had fogs so there aren't any blanking plates - again use my existing ones.
Next report in another month.:p:

AURORA MG
24th January 2007, 21:02
A friend of mine who is the joint owner of another forum has/did have a premium grill for sale in Firefrost Red, however the chrome trim was missing.
I quite fancy putting the Premium grill on my ZT-T but it's just the cost of the painting the monogram Aurora.

Kandyman
27th January 2007, 20:16
I was chatting to him last nite about his grill ;)if i could get all the bits to bolt it together then i would go for it :)

Kandyman
27th February 2007, 22:13
Alan any updates on the bumper ?

Alan
27th February 2007, 23:03
Still no chrome trim- but I have the rest of the bits though I don't have the fasteners or screws visible in Alex's photo. I see no point in fitting it or painting it unless I can get one as a reasonable facsimile. Although I don't have the foam for the bumper, Alex's experience seems to show no need.
Also, with regard to the inner wing covers, either do what Alex did, or get a pair of Mk I ZT liners which have the same part number as the V8 inner wing liners.

I'll give it a while longer - I live in hope.

JohnDotCom
27th February 2007, 23:14
I'm sure I saw a Post somewhere that they could get these bits. Must check throgh them, as my V8 bumper is still hanging in garage and has been now for about 12 Months!

Kandyman
27th February 2007, 23:31
I have had my contacts looking for one and it has come up as RARE and no longer available, could't a grill be made to fit for some sort of chrome roll stick on stuff :shrug: like something from theses people http://www.nfauto.co.uk/rubber_trim.htm

AURORA MG
28th February 2007, 20:45
I spoke to Mr Gammons from Brown & Gammons on Sunday at the Stoneleigh MG event. He is always looking for new ideas & I mentioned the chrome grill for the Premium bumper, He said that he would look into it as he bought the remaining stock of Premium bumpers.

I also sugested the chrome door handle inserts as well.

JohnDotCom
28th February 2007, 21:04
I spoke to Mr Gammons from Brown & Gammons on Sunday at the Stoneleigh MG event. He is always looking for new ideas & I mentioned the chrome grill for the Premium bumper, He said that he would look into it as he bought the remaining stock of Premium bumpers.

I also sugested the chrome door handle inserts as well.

Top Man. Heres Hoping. :bowdown: