PDA

View Full Version : cam belt change kv6

kenger
11th October 2007, 20:18
hi just about to have the timing belts changed on my 75 2.0 kv6
wondered if i need any more parts apart from the belts themselves
i will have spark plugs replaced at same time and new oil and filter
anyone know if any tensioners etc are required?
thanks
kb

GreyGhost
11th October 2007, 20:46
Definitely tensioners as well. While the engine is stripped down water pump may also be replaced. The experts will be along shortly to advise.

Mike
11th October 2007, 21:18
While its fully accessible take the opportunity to check the thermostat in the 'v' for any signs of weeping coolant (orange stains) and replace if required (much cheaper than doing again when all is back together) . Check/replace auxiliary belt for power steering (iirc) and as GG says replace the tensioners. Water pump change is a good idea on an engine of that age and with this work it really is just the cost of the part. If it needs swapping later then nearly all the same work has to be done again.

Also its a good idea to check the condition of the breather pipes and plastic 't' piece connector on top of the engine.

hth

kenger
12th October 2007, 07:17
hi thanks for info my friend is doing job for me at his garage so i said i will get the parts
dont mind doing an oill change etc myself but this job looks a bit daunting!
i aws considering swopping for a cdt but have decided to keep hold of the v6
i use it every day and apart from the usual wear and tear bits tyres etc it has never let me down up to now (three years) recently had new brake pipes and a ft lower arm fitted
for mot and thats about it . i will beonto x part shortly for bits