PDA

View Full Version : Removing Rear Number Plate Without Breaking It

PaulPJ
14th February 2012, 07:39
Hi Chaps, just got things rolling to swap my car reg for the family number plate but as I need to retain the originals plates, how do I get the rear plate off without damaging it as its stuck on. The front is screwed on so no problem. Paul

windrush
14th February 2012, 07:54
You could try a bit of heat ie an hair dryer, good luck

GT Courier
14th February 2012, 08:14
Difficult to to in cold weather without scratching something or lifting the lacquer off behind, you would be quite unlucky to break the number plate itself as they are quite flexible,

As above heat it up with a hairdrier and try and prise from the top down gently so that if it springs off you wont damage something else,

I usually heat and pull from one side to another and have yet to break a plate but then I havent been worried about doing so, but top to bottom should ensure that the plate stays in one piece!

Canonite
14th February 2012, 10:07
I blasted behind mine with hot water from the jetwash to soften the adhesive stickers. Didn't take much and didn't damage anything.
Hairdrier will do the same I guess.

PaulPJ
14th February 2012, 11:17
Thanks Chaps, I'll try a bit of heat from my wifes hairdrier.

steve811
14th February 2012, 12:07
Try the garage method for removing badges, slide a piece of strong string or cord (fishing line?) behind the plate and draw it foward and back to cut through the adhesive holding it.

GT Courier
14th February 2012, 12:38
Try the garage method for removing badges, slide a piece of strong string or cord (fishing line?) behind the plate and draw it foward and back to cut through the adhesive holding it.

And if you are still following the garage plan, place new stickers so that they dont coincide with the old ones and reattach preferably not horizontal :p:

PaulPJ
14th February 2012, 16:01
Thanks Chaps. No fishing line but could use an old guitar string. :D

Parker
14th February 2012, 16:59
I changed mine this weekend in the cold brrrrr. I gently prised a wooden spatula behind and peeled away slowly, soon came off and no paint damage.

crofts
16th February 2012, 06:09
Oh go on, how can you have a vertical number plate, never pass the MOT
Mind you, the cops couldn't read it though ! ! ! :getmecoat:

windrush
16th February 2012, 09:24
Thanks Chaps. No fishing line but could use an old guitar string. :D

Have you removed the plate yet Paul?