PDA

View Full Version : Themostat problem?

DJAndyB
12th October 2007, 16:47
Hello,

Just returned home form work and for the 20 minute journey the cooling fan was on all the time and the temperature guage need was on zero.

Parked up at home turned engine off then on and temperature gauge now works and fan is off!

Is this related to the thermostat and has anybody else had a similar problem.

My car is a 1.8T MG ZTT (54 plate).

Many thanks

Andy

David3807
12th October 2007, 17:32
Hi Andy,

Sounds more like the coolant temp sensor and a loose connection.

The temp sensor is the source of info for both the gauge and the fan operation. If no info being sent by the sensor, gauge will not shift off cold and the fan will run at top speed as an emergency default.

As it operated at the end of your journey might be a loose connection.

Sorry not sure where the sensor is on a 1.8 - mines a V6

DJAndyB
13th October 2007, 08:34
Thanks David.

Anybody know where the sensor is on a 1.8T.

Thanks

Andy

Simon
13th October 2007, 19:46
On the 1.8 engines, the coolant sensor (according to Haynes) is located on the front of the coolant outlet elbow just next to the top hose connection on the radiator.

A small amount of coolant may leak when you remove the sensor so be wary and have a container underneath just in case, don't forget to check coolant levels after you refit it. It is recommended to add thread-locking agent to when you re-fit the sensor to prevent it coming undone.

Page 4A-9 for reference for those who have Haynes.

Chilljohn
13th October 2007, 19:58
this might help

Simon
13th October 2007, 20:03
Thanks John, I didn't have a picture to hand and copying the one from Haynes would have lead to a right good telling off :o

Pictures do certainly help :)

DJAndyB
13th October 2007, 23:19
Thanks guys,

I'll check it out in the morning.

All the best

Andy