PDA

View Full Version : It's not a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- Jag!

mantianak
25th November 2006, 11:42
Time to vent some frustration on here!

There are two things, one frustrating and the other amusing.

It's happened a few times now. I go into a shop and ask about a part or whatever and the bloke asks what kind of car do I have and I tell the honest truth, "Rover 75".
"Oh nice! That's similar to a jag isn't it?"
This is the part where I have to be polite but really want to tell him to **** off!
It's not a Jag, if I wanted a Jag I would have bought a Jag.

Anybody else get annoyed with the Jag issue?

The other funny thing is the amount of people say "Hey, mate! You left your lights on."

Phil
25th November 2006, 11:50
It amuses me actually. There are far worse cars to be compared to.

Nick Hoare
25th November 2006, 11:55
My face lift 75 sometimes gets compared to a BMW, but what annoys me is if someone says it looks like a cross between a Jag and a BMW :rant:

driverjgp
25th November 2006, 12:29

It's happened a few times now. I go into a shop and ask about a part or whatever and the bloke asks what kind of car do I have and I tell the honest truth, "Rover 75".
This is the part where I have to be polite but really want to tell him to **** off!

The other funny thing is the amount of people say "Hey, mate! You left your lights on."

The Jag issue don't really bother me and lets face it it could be far worst like being compared to a Lada or something **** like that, as for the lights do you have them on all the time or something??

mantianak
25th November 2006, 12:44
The Jag issue don't really bother me and lets face it it could be far worst like being compared to a Lada or something **** like that, as for the lights do you have them on all the time or something??

No, I don't leave them on always. They turn off automatically after, I think, 30 seconds. I thought this was on all 75's. Think it's called a courteous light.

I haven't thought about comparing the car in that possative way. I think it's the way people assume a jag is the preferred car and had to settle for a 75. I've heard the term 'poor mans jag' being used more often.

I suppose at the end of the day it doesn't matter, I like my car. It just winds me up a bit.

Mike
25th November 2006, 12:53
Always remember, the 75 came first ;)

tourerfogey
25th November 2006, 13:24
'I think it's the way people assume a jag is the preferred car and had to settle for a 75.'

There's nothing wrong with being a poor man.

BMC123
25th November 2006, 13:24
The lights are not an issue if you turn them off first before you remove the key ;) (at least that's how they work on mine anyway) and being compared to a Jag is not a bad thing imho. If I was really worried i would get a HUGE big plastic Rover sticker across the front and back windows along side my furry dice :p:

Pete
25th November 2006, 13:39
In the early days when I had mine, a colleague bought an S-TYPE. The day he got it he parked it next to me -they were both dark blue and obviously both clean (I was even then a Hitler about keeping it looking perfect), glinting in the car park. I felt very proud of my car but I also liked them together; in my opinion it brought the standard of the motors in the office up a few grades ;).

Anyway, he was in the kitchen and I was getting myself a cuppa so I asked him.....

"How's the Rich Man's Rover then Mark?"

And it stuck. From then on he always called it that and everyone else in the office would gently rib him on his profligacy.

MartinW
25th November 2006, 14:07
At least you get the comparison to the Jaguar. It's worse when people try to tell you have a rebadged Rover as if all the factory did was stick a badge on the front! But then again a quick blast down a local country road soon shuts most of them up.

mantianak
25th November 2006, 14:20
I always find it funny when people telling me my lights are on. I know they can be turned off but it's very handy in my dark street. It's a feature I think more cars should have (if they already don't). The lights are on noise is friendly to the ear too.

Before I got fed up with my old car, I had never considered a Rover. I knew only by a glance what a 75 was. It wasn't till I went shopping for a new one that I noticed how well shaped and styled it was. A lot of the styling seems to have been based on the old p4, even the clock. A lot of design and engineering effort had gone into these cars. I'm personally very chuffed to be an owner.
It would be good if people looked at more than just car shape and twin lights (I guess this is why it’s compared with a jag).

Links with some good images.
http://www.dafnisrondel.nl/Trouwautos/Trouwauto%20Rover%20P4%2075/Trouwauto%20ROVER75.htm

M47Rman
25th November 2006, 15:08
It amuses me actually. There are far worse cars to be compared to.

I assume from your comment that you have never been in, or driven an X type?? A Rover 75 is a FAR superior car to an X type!
We get the Jag comment here all the time. Mostly positive, in as much as they like our car, and compliment it, then say it is 'like a Jag'. At which point I tell them 'no it's much better than that' !
If somebody told me it looked like a BMW, I would probably have to be restrained!
Andy:p:

Phil
25th November 2006, 15:56
I assume from your comment that you have never been in, or driven an X type?? A Rover 75 is a FAR superior car to an X type!
We get the Jag comment here all the time. Mostly positive, in as much as they like our car, and compliment it, then say it is 'like a Jag'. At which point I tell them 'no it's much better than that' !
If somebody told me it looked like a BMW, I would probably have to be restrained!
Andy:p:

I've sat in an X type and the word litter springs to mind, after being in a 75,
the quality and feel of it is worlds away from a 75, I had imagined I'd get an X type next but after being in one, no. I had actually had in my mind the old XJ6's and the likes when I wrote my comment. I also quite agree, I'd be most upset if someone said my British built and designed Rover bore any resemblance to a common BMW.

driverjgp
25th November 2006, 15:58
I bet they both handle and drive the same but after buying a r75 at least we have enough money to take the old woman down the pub get her drunk, take her home and who knows what next..... :D

So owning a R75 is a better buy so we have the last laugh. :fishslap:

Have you noticed how the inside is similar?

ladwa
25th November 2006, 16:48
When I first got my ZT, my uncle said "is that colour Jaguar Racing Green?" Lol!

My ZT is Le Mans Green!

markperkins
25th November 2006, 17:18
No, I don't leave them on always. They turn off automatically after, I think, 30 seconds. I thought this was on all 75's. Think it's called a courteous light.

I haven't thought about comparing the car in that possative way. I think it's the way people assume a jag is the preferred car and had to settle for a 75. I've heard the term 'poor mans jag' being used more often.

I suppose at the end of the day it doesn't matter, I like my car. It just winds me up a bit.

I think it better to be referred to as a poor man's Bentley.
Having spent quite some time up close with Bentleys recently, believe me, the 75 is not so far behind; certainly not £100K behind.

I think to be compared with Jaguar is complementary to our cars, but, as mentioned, the 75 is far far nicer than the X-type in both quality and styling terms, and really better than the S-type too.

My only concern is where do Rover 75 owners go from here.
There is nothing else out there for fans of the BRITISH car.

Roverama
25th November 2006, 19:26
I wonder how much better Jaguar would have done over the last few years if the 75 had been their car instead of Rovers !
Along with which, they would likely still be coming off of the production line !

mantianak
25th November 2006, 19:58
I think it better to be referred to as a poor man's Bentley.
Having spent quite some time up close with Bentleys recently, believe me, the 75 is not so far behind; certainly not £100K behind.

I think to be compared with Jaguar is complementary to our cars, but, as mentioned, the 75 is far far nicer than the X-type in both quality and styling terms, and really better than the S-type too.

My only concern is where do Rover 75 owners go from here.
There is nothing else out there for fans of the BRITISH car.

Thats good to know.
I've only driven 3 cars in my life, the 75 is by far the most luxurious and comfortable drive. I've never seen the interior of a benly so it's nice to know the 75 sits up their with the others.

My anger about my 75 being refered to as a jag is slowing turning into a smug smile. Cheers guys, my frown is becoming a smile! :D

Zeb
25th November 2006, 20:07
Thats good to know.
I've only driven 3 cars in my life, the 75 is by far the most luxurious and comfortable drive. I've never seen the interior of a benly so it's nice to know the 75 sits up their with the others.

My anger about my 75 being refered to as a jag is slowing turning into a smug smile. Cheers guys, my frown is becoming a smile! :D

Mine reminds me of my father's Viscount Vicarage...

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearc h%2Fimages%3Fp%3DJaguar%2BVicarage%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dbtfp-web%26x%3Dwrt&w=336&h=236&imgurl=www.autosalon-singen.de%2FJaguar%2Fjaguar_mk2_vicarage_05672_001 1_06_08_11.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autosalon-singen.de%2FKatalogfahrzeug_RecordView_DetailAll.c fm%3FfahrzeugID%3D05672_0011_06_08%26languageID%3D GB&size=16.3kB&name=jaguar_mk2_vicarage_05672_0011_06_08_11.jpg&p=Jaguar+Vicarage&type=jpeg&no=10&tt=139&oid=857972bdfc1ac988&ei=UTF-8

and THAT has a REAL wood blerdy steering wheel! *sniff*

Back when Jags were built proper like that was!

Interesting to note that the write-up mirrors that of the 75 / ZT spookily closely!

majedm75
25th November 2006, 20:31
Well, I too had the remarks that the 75 looks like a Jaguar... I asked once a guy who had made this comparison, and he told me that it somewhat was closer looking to an XJ!
I replied that the XJ was a larger car and that I would take his remark as a compliment. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, a neighbour of mine in our building owns a Bentley Mulsane Turbo. Bentley is his favourite brand btw. I spotted him twice peeking at my 75. When I "caught" him the 2nd time, I had a nice talk with him. He told me that he couldn't help comparing the 75 to the new Bentley Continental. I replied that the 75 has been around longer and that it was a nice compliment from his behalf to compare the 75 with a car much more expensive :)

AndrewPorter
25th November 2006, 20:34
'I think it's the way people assume a jag is the preferred car and had to settle for a 75.'

There's nothing wrong with being a poor man.

I chose my tourer over an X type estate. Money did not come into it.

mantianak
25th November 2006, 23:18
I think I've learnt a lesson from all the input on this thread.

A person comparing a car will compare it to one they are familiar with. I am a happy owner of a 75, therefore familiar with one, then I would compare a jag to a 75 rather than the opposite.
I think cars such as 75's, Jag's, Bently's, ect, are rebirths of what are already classics. A classic design made contemporary in a rebirth, retaining the traditional car style but in a modern form. Newer mould breaking cars such as the new Civic, Smart car, frog-car (what ever it's called), they all boast a new break-beat design and are brave attempts to create a classic (as the mini did). A difference being some cars breaks the mould by new models (Smart car) and others by a new generation of an existing model (Civic). A new, previously unrealised model would be a gamble; the car could flop or prosper.

Anyway, I’m starting to ramble. Rover managed to grab the best of both worlds!

JP53
26th November 2006, 06:22

I always answer "Yes Jags do look like 75's" :D
When I owned an MGC people always used to say "nice MGB mate" and when I took my ZT in to have brake and tyre check the technician asked me if that was my 75 on the ramp! I resisted the urge to look out of the viewing bay window and say "what 75 is that then?"

So to recap:-

My current 75 is an X type Jag
My ZT was a 75
My wife's ZR is a 25
My wifes 25 was a 400
Lad wants a ZS so that will be a 45
Rovers will be Roewe 750's (or what ever they are called when they hit iur shores)

:D John :D

Z135T
26th November 2006, 16:48
back end of 75 similar to Rolls Silver Seraph don't you think ?

sydneymj
27th November 2006, 11:26
1) I wonder how many Jaguar owners are asked if their car is a Rover 75?

2) Imagine how many Jaguar XK Coupe are asked if their car looks like a Hyundai Coupe (Seperated at birth?)

Malcolm

maxi_crawf
27th November 2006, 11:48
Always remember, the 75 came first ;)

Exactly!! so I tell people that the jag looks a bit like the 75 that they wish they had bought:rolleyes:
I also usually find that the occasional 'sniffy' type soon shuts up when they get a lift in the car, I smile and sit up straight everytime I get in
maxi_crawf

yp53
27th November 2006, 11:51
back end of 75 similar to Rolls Silver Seraph don't you think ?

You mean the back end of a RR Silver Seraph is similar to a 75...:)

(and yes, I'm inclined to agree - looks a bit clumsy on the roller though)

Jontie
27th November 2006, 12:21
Tourerfogey,
You missed out the best bit!! Mine old man always used to say " There's nothing wrong with being hard up, but there's no point bragging about it!!!!"

Skud Kid
27th November 2006, 13:12
Someone once said to me isnt that a poor mans jag, my reply was simple

Yes maybe but its my limosine, see you when you walking in the rain :)

GreyGhost
27th November 2006, 13:21
Someone once said to me isnt that a poor mans jag, my reply was simple

Yes maybe but its my limosine, see you when you walking in the rain :)

Nice response :)

At £20K-£30K pre crash price a shot they are not the poor mans anything. They are in a class of their own, and what class.:)

Teflon
27th November 2006, 14:46
Looking on the bright side - at least nobody has told me my 75 looks like a Mitsuoka Viewt! (see here: http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/gallery.jsp?id=305 )

Cliff

GreyGhost
27th November 2006, 15:49
Looking on the bright side - at least nobody has told me my 75 looks like a Mitsuoka Viewt! (see here: http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/gallery.jsp?id=305 )

Cliff

That has to be the worst car I have ever had the misfortune of seeing. Utterly pukeworthy, Nissan Micra / London Taxi / Jaguar Mk2 How could they be so misguided.

baxlin
27th November 2006, 16:22
Ah, but they could have combined a Scorpio with a Polonez and that awful Porsche 4x4 thing, and produced something even more ugly!

Anyone else have a selection of 3 cars which could be even worse?

Teflon
27th November 2006, 17:17
That has to be the worst car I have ever had the misfortune of seeing. Utterly pukeworthy, Nissan Micra / London Taxi / Jaguar Mk2 How could they be so misguided.

Quite agree, and yet the scary thing is - I find myself strangly drawn to it :eek:

I'd love to take one to a Jaguar owners club meet. Maybe claim that it had shrunk during the weekend wash. Fortunatly they are not available over here (as far as I can tell), and if they were, my wife is far too sensible to let me anywhere near one (phew!)

Cliff

Keith
27th November 2006, 20:36
Cracking looking cars on some of the other pages if you go to the company gallery

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/features/2006/mitsuoka/03-large/mitsuoka-orochi-f.jpg

JP53
27th November 2006, 20:55
Nice response :)

At £20K-£30K pre crash price a shot they are not the poor mans anything. They are in a class of their own, and what class.:)

I agree. My Contemporary SE (with all the fitted extras it came with) had a pre crash list price of £29,990!
There were a lot of Mercs, BMW's and X types cheaper than that. Astra and Focus types, many people carriers and a lot of SUV's including the top spec Freelander and mid range Discovery were also cheaper.

GreyGhost
27th November 2006, 21:01
Cracking looking cars on some of the other pages if you go to the company gallery

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/features/2006/mitsuoka/03-large/mitsuoka-orochi-f.jpg

Ooooo does it wobble when you shake it? :)

GreyGhost
27th November 2006, 21:04
Oh look a lovely TR6 in BRG :confused:

http://www.autosalon-singen.de/Detailansicht.aspx?fahrzeugID=08960_9005_06_02&languageID=GB

JP53
27th November 2006, 21:11
Oh look a lovely TR6 in BRG :confused:

http://www.autosalon-singen.de/Detailansicht.aspx?fahrzeugID=08960_9005_06_02&languageID=GB

I thought it was impossible to make a car like that look awful.........WRONG!!!!

JP53
27th November 2006, 21:13

Oh look it's the 'Bat Mobile' but after a heavy course of steroids :D

mantianak
27th November 2006, 21:42
http://www.jcc.ch/interceptor.htm

I don't like the coupe. The convertible is pretty nice though. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Keith
27th November 2006, 22:05
If that is a Micra under there then well err I will err eat my err um oh look a bourbon biccie!