PDA

View Full Version : lumpy response

coolcat
12th October 2007, 20:47
:mad:Hi went out in the car the other day and had to drive through a flooded road that the fire brigade were busy pumping.
Anyhow came home an hour or so later and the engine appeared a bit lumpy mainly at slow speeds/low revs.
Yesterday I had to take a long drive up north and car didn't start first time(it always does) started at third time of asking and tickover was uneven .
Put it down to damp and off I went. Along the motorway everthing seemed normal but again at lower speeds the car was reluctant and then surging then seems to go o.k. Kept doing this for the 200 miles it took.
Today on the return run back home car started fine so I thought all o.k and off I went
About half an hour down the road the same thing started happening but obviously I had to get back home.
Twice on route home at some lights on the uneven idle the car stalled and more smoke than normal appeared out the back just before it stalled.
Both times car started o.k and no more smoke when running .
Anyhow got home today and thought I would take a look under the bonnet pulled the lever and it felt slack and the bonnet wouldn't open.
Lots of attempts at releasing have failed so I'm now stuck with what to do next.
Any help on how to release the bonnet and what to look for when under there would be much appreciated.
My car is an Mg Zt cdti manual 2004 with 36,000 miles on the clock.
I have a rover ron tu3 (not sure what setting it's on, cant get to it!)
and have a poweflow stainless exuast with cat removed(thinking of buying a new cat and reinstating it as the smell out the back is horrid with the windows open (any thoughts on that would be great to)

Many thanks..

Kandyman
12th October 2007, 21:02
Hi Cool,

i have sent you a pm for opening the locked bonnet.

Good luck

coolcat
12th October 2007, 21:46
:)Thanks Kandyman,
Will have a go tommorow morning (fingers crossed)

Phil
12th October 2007, 21:49
Was the water deep enough for the engine to have ingested some water? It may also be a wet MAF sensor, try disconnecting that.

coolcat
13th October 2007, 05:05
The water was about two thirds up to the top of the wheels and I drove slowly through it.
I was also thinking along the lines of the maf and if I get the bonnet open will disconnect and give it a try.
If it is I'll be contacting Ron for another box of tricks me thinks.

Cheers for the advice and I'll let you know how it goes.

coolcat
15th October 2007, 17:22
Hi Cool,

i have sent you a pm for opening the locked bonnet.

Good luck

Hi Kandyman,
Got the bonnet open and have re-greased and all is well!
Still have the other problem with the running so I'm going to disconnect the maf and see if that makes any difference.
If it does run o.k does anyone know if I need to replace my tu3 for a synergy or just a mafam and is it worth replacing the maf itself or just compensating for it being out of spec(presume it's not dead as no warning light on dash)
Thanks for any help.

Will keep ypu posted