PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads on ZT

The_Monk
25th November 2006, 11:54
Does anyone know how long brake pads typically last for? Or is this a dumb question?

I only ask because i'm going to touch up the calipers with a bit of silver paint to make them look clean. Whilst i've got the wheels off they were going to get a clean and I wondered if it was worth replacing the brake pads? I've had the car 18months and they have never been changed. The car is a 54 plate (two years old from registration last month). I doubt they would have been changed in the two years.

Kandyman
25th November 2006, 12:04
Hi,
I'm not sure how long they last but it's only a simply job to do so I would wait till they needed doing, Have a look how much they have left on them and take it from there

The_Monk
25th November 2006, 12:07
Ok, thanks!

The_Monk
25th November 2006, 12:22
How hard is it to actually take the whole caliper off? I've just read the how to for changing the brake pads as the calipers need a good clean first, but if I was able to remove it from the brake hose this would make life easy to paint away from the car paint work! Do I have to drain the brake fluid from the car?

driverjgp
25th November 2006, 12:35
I think your car would be heaver on pads if it is an auto, does anyone else know?

MartinW
25th November 2006, 14:01
The 190 has, like the 260, bigger discs/pads than the 75/160 and other variants.
Based on my use of the ZT, my rear brake discs/pads were replaced at 45k service and need doing again at 85k miles. The fronts had new pads but not discs, but really pads and disc need doing now.

I believe that as with tyre wear (typically 20k on the V6 ZT) the 1.8T has slightly better brake and tyre wear owing to the difference in weight. It's not a big difference but enough to make the 1.8T 160 a much more attractive option than the V6 version. By comparison my 75 1.8 did not need any attention to brakes in the period I owned it to 60k miles and averaged 30k+ miles on the 205 tyres.

The_Monk
25th November 2006, 14:16
The 190 has, like the 260, bigger discs/pads than the 75/160 and other variants.
Based on my use of the ZT, my rear brake discs/pads were replaced at 45k service and need doing again at 85k miles. The fronts had new pads but not discs, but really pads and disc need doing now.

I believe that as with tyre wear (typically 20k on the V6 ZT) the 1.8T has slightly better brake and tyre wear owing to the difference in weight. It's not a big difference but enough to make the 1.8T 160 a much more attractive option than the V6 version. By comparison my 75 1.8 did not need any attention to brakes in the period I owned it to 60k miles and averaged 30k+ miles on the 205 tyres.

I have clocked up no where near that kind of millage. I think it has just passed 20k. Did you do the change yourself? I wondering if getting the calipers right off for cleaning and painting is easy enough? and what it involves.

MartinW
25th November 2006, 16:31
So far I have left it in the hand sof the dealership doing the service, but I intend to do it myself at the next service to mitigate the cost of the cambelt/waterpump change also due! Sorry, I can't answer your query. From experience of pad changes on other Rovers, I'd say the easiest is to leave the callipers attached to avoid the necessity to bleed after completion, unless, a full fluid change was on the cards.
Are you brush or aerosol painting your callipers?
I am also keen to give mine a clean/paint and add some MG decals that I have seen on Ebay.

The_Monk
25th November 2006, 16:38
I was going to brish paint them whilst attached to the car. However I thought that removing them would enable me to clean them better and get a better finish on them with the spray can. It could also be done in the warmth of the home which always a bonus!