PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T lumpy idle

tapped
13th October 2007, 15:20
Hi all

Just been to look at a generally quite nice 1.8 T Conny SE Tourer. Settled on a good price but notice whilst running it from cold and from warm that at idle its a little bit lumpy with a little engine shake. Also noticed that the one way valve on the inlet manifold take-off for the brake servo was "musical"

Any ideas? Will probably buy it anyway because its been looked after and has also had new turbo and head gasket, just wondered if any knowledgeable sage on here might know what to do with the slightly trembly idle

Cheers!

Tapped

sworks
13th October 2007, 18:06
My 1.8 turbo isn't that smooth on tick over, there is an ocasional 'blip' and the revs drop slightly. As for the valve - in what way musical? if its the valve i'm thinking of it's to stop boost pressure going where it shouldnt. If this is faulty may cause tickover problems

tapped
14th October 2007, 07:26
Hi

Yeah my last one used to be like that. This one seems to be a bit "trembly" at idle and the pipe I am referring to is the vacuum pipe from the inlet manifold to the brake servo

rdholmes
15th October 2007, 08:35
Might be completely different but when I had the "trembles" it was a coil doing it. I replaced the coils on my 18T and its good as gold.

Whilst not cheap, they're not an arm and a leg so it might be worth replacing them anyway. :)

tapped
15th October 2007, 11:04
Thanks

another chappie I know said the same thing.

Looks a good bet then :-)