PDA

View Full Version : Auto Glym Instant Tyre Dressing

trebor
14th October 2007, 16:59
Has anybody else used this product ? I bought it as a change from my cheaper alternative which sprayed from an aerosol and was easy to control.
I thought this would be the same but the spray is not pressurised and comes out all over the tyre and the wheel.
I have used it again today but sprayed it into a container first and applied with a paint brush which was better but it has a consistency just like milk and it runs all over.
Good points - it smells great - a nice clean soapy smell -and the end product is quite good but it is messy and takes ages to dry.( see pictures below)
The first picture is after about 30 minutes, the second after about 45 but i had to dab the last few white spots off.
Anyone recommend a different product for next time ?

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee210/apbicm1/BlackRover012.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee210/apbicm1/BlackRover022.jpg

GreyGhost
14th October 2007, 17:14
I use Simoniz Back to Black.
The spray is useless so as you have done I paint it on in two thin coats. Goes off pretty quickly. Gives as good a result as any of these products.

Mike
14th October 2007, 17:16
Can't say I've had any problems with this stuff. I have used it for many years. I spray it on and then wipe over immediately with an old towel for a superb finish. It is also very useful for blacking up the front and rear mud flaps and for cleaning the engine compartment.

An alternative which is just as good imo is the Turtle wax tyre spray - again not pressurised.

hth

Pete
14th October 2007, 18:29
On the aerosol side there are two I tend to use: Car Plan Tyre Slik or Armor All. The former is like Back-to-Black in that it's a silicone spray and the second one is a foam which can dry a bit spotty or streak if you're not careful. The Car Plan one I find lasts fairly well too, at least a couple of weeks of pounding the motorways and it still looks okay after a quick wash, but I use the stuff literally weekly to build up a good deep shine. I did once try a wipe-on sort of effort which came with a foam applicator but I found it rubbish and threw it straight in the bin. Similarly I tried Halfrauds own-brand which was a gel and wasted an hour of my life for about 100 seconds of half-decent semi-matt shine.

Meguiars do some sort of tyre dressing as well with a load of fancy nonsense about it replacing some chemical that tyre producers put in to prevent the rubber going brown but it escapes into the atmosphere and so this replaces it and that's why it's so good and......... Sorry, I sort of lost the will to live after getting that far reading the packaging. Anyway, it's not cheap but may be worth a punt as well.

Personally I prefer the clear silicone based aerosol as it is less prone to streaking than the trigger spray types from Autoglym etc. Don't use it when it's windy though - it gets everywhere!

AURORA MG
14th October 2007, 19:54
Speaking from a professional point of view, once you have sprayed it, leave it for about 5 minutes or so & get a cloth or old sponge & just wipe it off/rub it in.
www.exv-mobile.co.uk (http://www.exv-mobile.co.uk)

Jules
14th October 2007, 22:00
Never been keen on shiny tyres, looks a bit Arthur Daily IMO
Also many of the products are so oily, they tend to migrate onto the alloys and then when the brake dust sticks it makes a horrible mess!
Much prefer a matt finish similar to the appearance of a brand new tyre.

I might put a shine on car tyres to sell but not on my own vehicle.

crofts
14th October 2007, 23:04
I have often used Car Plan Tyre Slick but actually prefer most times to just apply black shoe polish with a small brush which gives a nice non shiny look and is very quick to do.

baxlin
15th October 2007, 07:52
An alternative which is just as good imo is the Turtle wax tyre spray - again not pressurised.

hth

My experience with this one is you MUST follow the instructions, to wipe off any overspray. I didn't, and after a few miles the wheels were covered in a slimy version of brake dust. Looked horrible.

Malcolm

Pete_W
15th October 2007, 15:31
I find this stuff quick, easy and cheap to use.

http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/HalfordsConsumerDirect/images/catalog/00002722.jpg

empsburna
15th October 2007, 19:22
turtle wax wet 'n' black painted on with an old paintbrush gives the best finish and is the longest lasting IMHO

Graham1961
18th November 2007, 21:39
I Do Car Valeting As A Sideline/hobby And I Have Tried Many Products, Autoglym Is Very Good, My Own Favorite For Tyres Is Armor All/turtle Wax Tyre Foam, Just Wipe Any Excess From The Wheels And The Sheen Is Smooth And Durable.

Ross R75
18th November 2007, 22:45
Never been keen on shiny tyres, looks a bit Arthur Daily IMO
Also many of the products are so oily, they tend to migrate onto the alloys and then when the brake dust sticks it makes a horrible mess!
Much prefer a matt finish similar to the appearance of a brand new tyre.

I might put a shine on car tyres to sell but not on my own vehicle.

Agree 100%.

Tyre shine products are a brake dust magnet. Poorboys Natural Look is good in this respect. Its primarily for interiors but gives tyres a nice matt finish and brake dust doesn't stick.

empsburna
18th November 2007, 22:49
you need sonus tyre and bumper dressing then. goes further than the poorboys.

The Pez
19th November 2007, 08:50
Pete, Meguiars can afford to rumble on a bit on the packaging cos they are leagues above anything else.

There tyre gel, does stay "live" longer than any other.

Many years a go an old man gave me something to try which was a bit like milk, never seen anything quite like it on a tyre, it was on a show car cortina 1600E.

I have since been told it was very expensive armourglaze. (may be incorrect spelling) But never found anymore.

murphy180
19th November 2007, 09:40
Hi all,

Sorry I've not been on here for some time.

For those of you who don't like the wet look then try good old black Kiwi boot polish. Put it on with a boot brush and pollish off. It's cheap, is quick apply and looks good.

FROGGY
19th November 2007, 15:57
Not advertising, but I have used this on anything black, rubber, plastic, whatever (even doorhandles) for a long time. Great underbonnet on all hoses, engine covers etc. You can wipe excess off after a few seconds if you don't want to leave things sticky. One warning though, if you do a lot of the car at the same time, wear rubber gloves, the stuff takes forever to get out from under your fingernails!

http://www.advancedcarproducts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=16%5FZ16

Mick

Ross R75
19th November 2007, 20:25
Pete, Meguiars can afford to rumble on a bit on the packaging cos they are leagues above anything else.

There tyre gel, does stay "live" longer than any other.

Some people swear by their products and of course everybody is entitled to their opinion. I'll always remember being told on Detailing World that, in football terms, Meguiars is like a 4th division product whereas Mothers, Poorboys, Zaino, Blackfire, Zymol etc would all be Premier League products.

IMO there are better, cheaper and easier to use products on the market although Megs pro detailing products are very good indeed.

The Pez
25th November 2007, 11:06
Arrow chemicals used to make an aerosol big casn of "supersil" for lubricating etc.

We used it on tyres etc, it was fantastic, the best i ever used. Also it was "Free" from work!!!

ALPACA
12th July 2009, 09:34
:lol: I have been, and am, a lifelong Autoglym fan and always use their products, and a while back bought their instant tyre dressing to give it a whirl.

I have to say, though the finish was absolutely fine, it was not as good as hoped and the residue spray which innevitably flies in the wind, spotted my paintwork so badly that I had to rewax :o

In the end I tried Meguiars Gold class Endurance high gloss tire gel which is by far the best product that I have personally ever used on my tyres. Also bought two Meguiars soft round applicator pads and now would not consider anything else.

Cost about £7.99 for 473ml from Halfrauds and it lasts longer than many other products

GreyGhost
12th July 2009, 09:51
Spraying tyre dressing for me is a strict no, no as you say it gets everywhere. I pour some into an old jar and paint it on with a brush. No mess, no cleaning up after.

baxlin
20th July 2009, 14:57
Spraying tyre dressing for me is a strict no, no as you say it gets everywhere. I pour some into an old jar and paint it on with a brush. No mess, no cleaning up after.

I treated myself to a router a while ago, and "playing" with it I cut a disc from MDF the same size as my alloys. Added a bit of wood as a handle to one side, and 3 little bits to the other, to locate it on the wheel, and you have a wheel cover, so none of the spray goes onto the wheel!

Easy-peasy!

Except that it didn't make a proper seal, so some still ran down onto the wheel, and you still spray too much onto the tyre, and of course some still went on the bodywork.

So that was binned, and I now spray the product into a small container and use a brush, wiping the excess off, like everyone else does!

What's that saying, Why re-invent the wheel?!?!

Malcolm

ALPACA
28th July 2009, 09:04
:lol: I have been, and am, a lifelong Autoglym fan and always use their products, and a while back bought their instant tyre dressing to give it a whirl.

I have to say, though the finish was absolutely fine, it was not as good as hoped and the residue spray which innevitably flies in the wind, spotted my paintwork so badly that I had to rewax :o

In the end I tried Meguiars Gold class Endurance high gloss tire gel which is by far the best product that I have personally ever used on my tyres. Also bought two Meguiars soft round applicator pads and now would not consider anything else.

Cost about £7.99 for 473ml from Halfrauds and it lasts longer than many other products

Just an update on using the Meguiars gel for long enough to make a personal judgement. I really rate this product very highly, and the smart appearance of the tyres has lasted through some very harsh southern rain and storms recently.

No fling off, thick and easy to use (much like myself), and it also brings up the centre console and wood trim with a light buff after.

I'd certainly recommend using the Meguiars (or alternative) applicator pads which are cheap enough to wash a few times and discard when really soiled ( I machine washed mine and did not please my wife with the gunk left in the machine ha ha :D)

By far the best tyre shine product I have used :lol: