PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking..

Zeb
14th October 2007, 18:20
Have we any other speed merchants on here? :D

Kandyman
14th October 2007, 18:35
i use to overclock cpu/ram but haven't done for a few years now.

i use to help crunch seti's for the overclockers forum

BMC123
14th October 2007, 19:19
at the minute I have no need to do anything, as I am running a new machine and have decent enough benchmark scores, and everything I chucked at it so far works fine :D

Zeb
14th October 2007, 20:40
Thought I would give it a go....

Laptop - 3dmark06 was 3336 now 4142
PC - was AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (@ 2.1ghz x2) Now @ 2.6ghz x2 standard cooling..

They have come along way since my Athlon 1200mhz running at 1333mhz!

mantianak
14th October 2007, 22:14
Had water cooling on my old pc. A little hint to anybody who wants to try this, unless you like the smell, don't substitute deionised water with Lenor iron deionised water! Also the other ingredients make it very bubbly, still worked fine though.

BMC123
15th October 2007, 00:46
I ran 3Dmark06 and get 10895 marks :)

I wont overclock it though, as I do think a quad core is plenty fast enough without pushing it for the sake of a few extra points on a benchmark program.

Zeb
15th October 2007, 12:19
I ran 3Dmark06 and get 10895 marks :)

I wont overclock it though, as I do think a quad core is plenty fast enough without pushing it for the sake of a few extra points on a benchmark program.

You have no need to overclock I agree...:) Equally, having spent a fraction of the cost of a high end system yet still being able to get similar performance is rather satisfying;)

mantianak
15th October 2007, 15:42
I don't plan on doing so, but if I did opt for water-cooling again I'd buy something like this.....

http://www.guru3d.com/article/gengoods/257/11

No need customising it, it's already been thought of in all areas!

BMC123
15th October 2007, 16:37
I don't feel the need to customise either :shrug: the only person that will see my PC is me, so i would rather spend the money or more RAM or something else, although I do agree some of them look really nice :)

Raistlin
15th October 2007, 22:39
Can't see the need :shrug:

Mine trundles along fast enough for what I need so might as well keep hardware within operational parameters rather than take risks.

Would give it a go in a while when this one is too slow as standard though :)

QX6850

Asus P5K3

8GB Corsair XMS3 in 2 x Dual Channel pairs

Pair of BFG 768MB 880 GTX

JohnDotCom
15th October 2007, 22:44
:drool4: :drool4: Sounds very nice that.

Raistlin
15th October 2007, 22:51
It manages Word and excel and e-mail reasonably well John, so no point in stressing the components.

It'll probably be acceptable as it is for six months or so.

These water-cooled setups fascinate me though. Lecturing in avionics, the thought of electrickery and water in close proximity is not a naturally tenable philosophy to accept

JohnDotCom
15th October 2007, 23:06
I'm sure you can run the Intel Core4 Processors on that or a quick flash should cure.
Never quite felt the need to put water cooling in anything Ive Used or come across, but not being ito the Latest games requirements etc can't comment.

Mind you most of them dont use the Power of the latest Graphics cards, 64 bit OS, Direct X 10 etc available to them, just not written right.
(That should start up its own thread) :D

BMC123
16th October 2007, 00:56
if my memory serves, the Asus P5K3 has a slight problem when using 8800 GTX cards in that you cannot access some of the SATA ports?

You are running 2 GTX's in Sli mode? if i dont need to overclock with one, you really dont need to :D

and yes, there is not a lot of software written (yet) to take advantage of the multiple core CPU's and high end graphics cards, but it has started... a certain PC game called Stranglehold for example....

MINIMUM specs....

Windows XP with SP2 / Vista with DirectX 9.0c (included)
Intel Core Duo processor or equivalent
2GB RAM
15GB HDD Space
16x Speed DVD-ROM Drive
nVidia GeForce 7800, ATI x1300 or equivalent (must be DirectX 9.0c compatible)
Sound Card (DirectX 9.0c compatible)
Broadband connection required for online play

Thats the first big one to hit, others are following.....

nisfo
16th October 2007, 05:29
It's supposed to be safer to overclock an AMD than an Intel Processor, and from my experience Intel processor don't tend to tolerate the odd notch up, as my AMD would comfortably run up to 500Mhz faster.

In the past when I have purchased AMD's they came with an overclocking heatsink and fan.....Funny how they would promote it if you ask me.

Raistlin
16th October 2007, 07:09
if my memory serves, the Asus P5K3 has a slight problem when using 8800 GTX cards in that you cannot access some of the SATA ports?

Not a problem that I have seen although I do remember hearing something along those lines.

Maybe a BIOS update cured it?

JohnDotCom
16th October 2007, 08:38
Its the actual size of cards/location of Ports that causes the Problem I believe.
Most probally completely wrong. :D:D

Raistlin
16th October 2007, 09:17
Really?

That certainly hasn't caused a problem.

Mind you - I tend to fit mobo cables before cards and IIRC, the SATA cables have 90 degree plugs.

BMC123
16th October 2007, 11:02
Yes, it was an access problem not a BIOS one, Its something I read about when i was upgrading as I had considered one of those boards, and then the cost of DDR3 added to the motherboard price and other components took me over budget so I settled for a smaller one :)

the review was here:
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?SCID=16&CIID=85067&p=2

I used to be at "the cutting edge" with computers all the time, until I had an accident and my income rather suddenly dropped :( so i had to stand back a bit and wait for the new stuff to drop in price so as i could partake again :)

I can't complain, as my current machine is more than capable of running anything currently out there :D

JohnDotCom
16th October 2007, 12:23
Don't Laugh but a Certain small Airline still runs its Payroll Package on a 486! :eek: :SHOCKED:

BMC123
16th October 2007, 13:02
and a certain Russian space launching place runs 286's and 386's even now.....

Still, I suppose the old addage runs true, if it aint broke don't fix it :) We still use 486 machines to run nightclub lighting control systems, in fact there is a BBC B running some lighting in a club over here....

mantianak
16th October 2007, 16:44
Does the ECU in a 75/ZT have a core speed?