PDA

View Full Version : chrome strip fixing

CFS75
1st March 2012, 19:29
Someone or something has snagged the end of the chrome strip on the front offside wing of my 75. I can see that the end of the strip has become detached from the plastic clip underneath, but how do I repair or replace it?
I've done a search here and it would appear that it is difficult to remove the clips and strip. Is it a DIY job or is it a bodywork job?
Colin

Poppy
1st March 2012, 20:24
Someone or something has snagged the end of the chrome strip on the front offside wing of my 75. I can see that the end of the strip has become detached from the plastic clip underneath, but how do I repair or replace it?
I've done a search here and it would appear that it is difficult to remove the clips and strip. Is it a DIY job or is it a bodywork job?
Colin

Hiya Short of getting new clips.....:shrug: I had this happen on my front drivers side.......The clip was still in place but the strip would not clip back in....:shrug: I put on a blob of clear silicone sealant, taped it down.... 15 mins later it had cured.... sorted....:shrug:

CFS75
1st March 2012, 20:35
Thanks for that Poppy, I have some spare clips but could not see how to get the old ones out! I will be using your repair method - it will save a lot of time and effort!
Colin

Poppy
1st March 2012, 20:39
Thanks for that Poppy, I have some spare clips but could not see how to get the old ones out! I will be using your repair method - it will save a lot of time and effort!
Colin

Hiya Colin..... Well, It worked for me....:shrug: Must be the clear silicone though that skins over in about 15 mins.... You know, the stuff that stinks like vinegar...eek. :} As for the clips..... Not really sure, but do they "twist" out.... Sure someone will know...:shrug: