PDA

View Full Version : Not used to power steering - question about wheel alignment

Deerhound
8th March 2012, 11:45
My previous car didn't have power steering, so when the wheels were out of alignment, I could feel it so I would know when to take it to have them realigned.

How is one supposed to tell with power steering, except by waiting for the tyres to wear unevenly :confused:

Livermpj
8th March 2012, 12:06
Your wheels shouldn't really go out of alignment unless something's worn, or you have a major impact with something solid (kerb etc).

Although the steering is power assisted, there's still plenty of feel and feedback.
The most obvious clue would be an off-centre steering wheel (assuming both wheels arenn't out of alignment by eqaul amounts - in which case turn-in or straight line stability would be affected).

For what it's worth, I've never had to adjust my front wheel alignment in 11 years - It's one of the advantages of rack & pinion steering vs. the old steering box & linkages.

Incidentally, my rear wheels were out, but that was a factory build error (N/S/R wheel toed-in, causing the car to drift to the left slightly).

HTH, Pete.

trimani
8th March 2012, 12:09
[QUOTE=Deerhound;945312]My previous car didn't have power steering, so when the wheels were out of alignment, I could feel it so I would know when to take it to have them realigned.

I take any car new to me, and have a 4 wheel alignment straightaway. I take the view that I then know it's OK, and I am looking after tyres and probably saving the alignment cost right from the word go. IMHO. :}

Deerhound
8th March 2012, 12:29
Your wheels shouldn't really go out of alignment unless something's worn, or you have a major impact with something solid (kerb etc).
Or the ruddy awful speed bumps at work :mad:

For what it's worth, I've never had to adjust my front wheel alignment in 11 years - It's one of the advantages of rack & pinion steering vs. the old steering box & linkages.
Wow! Not used to that lol