PDA

View Full Version : coolant problem?

lexey5900
1st April 2012, 14:27
hi can anyone help?

loosing coolant yet it doesn't overheat and the heater is working as it should temperature is half way on gauge yet i have to top up the coolant each week?

there is no mix in either the oil or water and pipes seem all ok

when checked the top hose it was hard as though the coolant is not circulating?

any advice is greatly accepted

thankyou

john:shrug:

chrissyboy
1st April 2012, 15:34
sounds like air is in the system and the pressure is building up till the coolant is released through the cap .

lexey5900
1st April 2012, 20:11
just been checking the engine bay and have noticed the inlet manifold was leaking i have removed it coated in hermitite blue refitted and so far no loss of coolant
will keep you updated

thanks for the advice

Ratdogfink
1st April 2012, 20:40
There is an uprated inlet gasket, if it's light green it's the old one. You can get new ones cheap and they are olive green (darker).

crofts
2nd April 2012, 04:17
hi can anyone help?
loosing coolant yet it doesn't overheat and the heater is working as it should temperature is half way on gauge yet i have to top up the coolant each week?
there is no mix in either the oil or water and pipes seem all ok
when checked the top hose it was hard as though the coolant is not circulating?
any advice is greatly accepted
thankyou
john:shrug:

It would be helpful if you entered your engine type inyour avatar. Helps when asking questions. Didn't notice, have you entered your location, there are a number of members willing to help out with problems if local to you. (sorry, see you are in Yeovil)

lexey5900
2nd April 2012, 22:22
hi my location is doncaster engine size is 1.8 and yes it is the light green seal have used gasket sealant and up to now seems to have done the trick fingers crossed

car has done 204 thousand miles and this is the first hopefully last problem i have had

thanks for the replies

crofts
3rd April 2012, 04:09
hi my location is doncaster engine size is 1.8 and yes it is the light green seal have used gasket sealant and up to now seems to have done the trick fingers crossed

car has done 204 thousand miles and this is the first hopefully last problem i have had
thanks for the replies

If that's the only problem in 204,000 miles I guess you can count yourself very lucky. 'Some has problems, some dont' ! ! ;)

SD1too
3rd April 2012, 09:46
car has done 204 thousand miles ...
The first problem you've had? :eek: So for how long has it been in your ownership John? This could be a record.

Simon.

pab
3rd April 2012, 10:08
A very impressive mileage..I hope the repair is successful. :)