PDA

View Full Version : The Long and Winding Road

Canon
2nd April 2012, 09:42
Hi Guys N Gals, looking for some good tips and advice

Me and the missus are driving down to Italy in the summer towing a teardrop trailer. I dont really want to drive as the crow flies i want to make the road trip part of the holiday, oh and im not to keen on toll roads :(
So as anyone made the trip to Italy by road and if so which route did you take?
any recommended detours to see interesting places?
Shall i fill up with diesel before leaving UK?
Cost of vignettes for car and trailer, shall we go via Austria or Switzerland

At the moment ive got a blank map waiting to be filled with a nice route

Ant help will be greatly appreciated ;)

Oops sorry mods can you delete ive put it in the general section for more coverage

Thanks
Tony

HarryM1BYT
2nd April 2012, 09:58
Which bit of Italy, there is quite a lot of it?

Canon
2nd April 2012, 10:05
Hi Harry, sticking to the west coast going south im going down as far as Naples then heading back up north on the east coast side.
Ive got 3 weeks in total so there is no rush ;)

HarryM1BYT
2nd April 2012, 12:36
Hi Harry, sticking to the west coast going south im going down as far as Naples then heading back up north on the east coast side.
Ive got 3 weeks in total so there is no rush ;)

Assuming the Folkestone or Dover crossing - The west coast could mean down through France, or diverting through Switzerland to the middle of Italy and picking up the Italian Lake District. The Lakes are not to be missed. Austria is well out of your way.

markvh
2nd April 2012, 18:56
Sounds amazing, I love road trips, unfortunately they are my wifes idea of hell (and we have a 4yr old)

I would head through Switzerland....

ashleywood.ash
3rd April 2012, 20:58
avoid belgium would be my first tip, so miserable.

switz is nice to drive through in parts as is germany like the black forest.
toll roads in france but they are good roads.

when i went in january switz has the cheapest fuel, but all are cheaper than england (cant comment on italy though.

dont forget the legislation over in europe (hi vis jackets etc).

Canon
4th April 2012, 08:20

when i went in january switz has the cheapest fuel, but all are cheaper than england (cant comment on italy though.

Thanks Ash, im ordering 2 hi vis jackets, triangle, spare bulbs, GB stickers and light deflectors ;)

scouseeric
4th April 2012, 08:48
Triangle spare here for you Tony if you wanna pick it up later!

Eric

Canon
4th April 2012, 09:00
Triangle spare here for you Tony if you wanna pick it up later!

Eric

Cheers Eric, your a star ;)

HarryM1BYT
4th April 2012, 14:27

There is a country by country fuel cost comparison web site somewheres about a few years ago. I was checking fuel prices for driving somewhere quite exotic and found fuel was then got much cheaper the deeper you went into eastern europe.

Canon
4th April 2012, 15:42
There is a country by country fuel cost comparison web site somewheres about a few years ago. I was checking fuel prices for driving somewhere quite exotic and found fuel was then got much cheaper the deeper you went into eastern europe.

Cheers Harry i'll do a search for it ;)

Mikejr
23rd April 2012, 19:29
Thanks Ash, im ordering 2 hi vis jackets, triangle, spare bulbs, GB stickers and light deflectors ;)

Hi Tony, don't forget that from January this year, when traveling through France, you also need to have a breathalyser in the car. :shrug: :shrug: Would think, though not sure, that you can probably buy them at the port of exit.

Canon
24th April 2012, 18:29
Hi Tony, don't forget that from January this year, when traveling through France, you also need to have a breathalyser in the car. :shrug: :shrug: Would think, though not sure, that you can probably buy them at the port of exit.

Cheers for that Mike, that is something i would never have thought of taking :shrug:

Tbh hearing all the stuff the french fine you for speed cams on satnavs, no hi vis vest ect, i think the quicker i get out of france the better, hope i dont get done for speeding :D

Number 6
24th April 2012, 20:02
Cheers for that Mike, that is something i would never have thought of taking :shrug:

Tbh hearing all the stuff the french fine you for speed cams on satnavs, no hi vis vest ect, i think the quicker i get out of france the better, hope i dont get done for speeding :D

Dont worry about the speed cameras there arnt that many and they are well advertised,but like elsewere if you stick to the speed limits you wont get pulled:shrug:Regarding self analysing breathalisers (sorry cant spell)you should carry two one to test your self if you have been drinking and one to show the gendarmes should they stop you.

also you need a hi-vis coat for each person in the car and keep them inside the car not in the boot so if required you can put them on before you get OUT of the car.

Have a nice trip:}