PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Help

se7enmvu
26th November 2006, 19:20
I've just bought a 2003 ZT135+ its done 100,000miles and is hiding its miles very well, except for a problem with the headlights. When I turn them on the drivers side lamp moves up then down and then settles somewhere in the middle, while the passengers stays still. The little wheel only adjusts the drivers side and no adjustment brings it in line with the passengers. The passenger lamp also seems to be pointing down onto the road has anyone come across this problem before or know what it might be.

The car also came without a hand book but I have seen this one on ebay would it cover my model. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT-Owners-Manual-Handbook_W0QQitemZ260019596552QQihZ016QQcategoryZ1 22078QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Mark

Pete
26th November 2006, 19:34
Hello Mark,

Sounds like the self-levelling mechanism is a bit awry. There is a datasheet on manually adjusting the light position in the How-To secton on the club site - just follow this link here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

For the self-levelling bit I'm sure a fellow poster will give you some ideas in a mo.

Okay, manual. There's not a lot of differences between the manuals really, but I think this one is about the right time for yours. The Mk2 versions had a manual with two ZTs on the front.

Mike
26th November 2006, 19:36
Hi Mark and welcome to the club :)

Sounds as if the motor in your n/s lamp is knackered - someone should be along soon with a bit more info as I am not up to speed on the units :)

That handbook is for the rover 75 (early models) and won't go into the detail of the ZT but it does cover the main points as the cars are very similar. Save yourself a bit of money though by having a look here:

http://storm.tocmp.com/rover75ownersmanual.pdf

This is what you would be buying ;)

First visit and we've already saved you money! If you like you can invest £3 of what you have saved in a subscription to the club to help keep these forums going. Subscribe link at the top of the page ;)

Regards

Mike

yp53
26th November 2006, 20:14
Loss of height adjustment could be a break in the headlight wiring loom just behind the headlight unit where it passes over a vertical weld seam.

In my experience this tends to happen on the drivers side as the passenger side on mine has a rubber strip to protect it. It could still happen on th epassenger side, but should be obvious once the front bumper is off.

se7enmvu
27th November 2006, 22:13
Thanks for all the help and it looks like i'm going to keep you busy but don't worry i've just subscribed;).

I'll do the manual adjustment for now but does it look like i'm going to need a new motor? where would be the best place to start looking for one.

Driving to work this morning I came across another fault, when I turned the climate control I only got cold air for the whole 45min trip with the temp set to hi would this be a fuse or something more serious. Also theres a little wheel below the clock, whats it for?

Thanks
Mark

se7enmvu
28th November 2006, 19:03
Well after getting frostbite on the way to work this morning I decided to have a route around in my lunch break. I had to top up the coolent by nearly 2litres, the drive home was nice a warm so I think i've solved the problem:D I hope its nothing more serious.

It still doen't get warm in the back though and I haven't yet worked out what the wheels for.

Mark

Simon
28th November 2006, 19:38
2 Litres of Coolant!!! :eek::eek::eek:

This is a shocking amount. Keep a close eye on your coolant. If it continues to drop then you run the risk of suffering major engine damage!

Simon
28th November 2006, 19:40
The wheel is to adjust if you have the vents on or off. Do you have automatic climate control or manual?

GreyGhost
28th November 2006, 19:41
It still doen't get warm in the back though and I haven't yet worked out what the wheels for.

Mark

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1056

Confuses the hell out of me :)

Simon
28th November 2006, 19:44
Ok. I was wrong. Sorry all. :o

Simon
28th November 2006, 19:45
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1056

Confuses the hell out of me :)

On behalf of many other members, I second the vote for "eh?" :confused:

Yes, very confusing.

GreyGhost
28th November 2006, 20:07
On behalf of many other members, I second the vote for "eh?" :confused:

Yes, very confusing.

Well what do you expect Mike wrote it. :laughing2:

se7enmvu
29th November 2006, 20:25
Thanks for replying, the car runs fine and i've noticed no difference in the way it performs since I topped it up. The floor was dry when I got it out this morning so I presume theres no external leaks.
It is possible to change the coolent at home or will a garage need to do it?
Mark

Simon
29th November 2006, 20:34
Thanks for replying, the car runs fine and i've noticed no difference in the way it performs since I topped it up. The floor was dry when I got it out this morning so I presume theres no external leaks.
It is possible to change the coolent at home or will a garage need to do it?
Mark

Coolant changing is possible but tricky by yourself. Ideally the system needs to be vacuum-filled to help remove all air bubbles.

The non-vacuum way is to fill almost-to-the-top with coolant, then run the engine on idle for over 20 minutes while slowly squeezing and 'working' on the coolant pipes to ease out any trapped air bubbles. Whilst keeping an eye on the coolant and topping up if needed.

Even then, with both versions, I'd still keep a careful eye on the coolant over the next few weeks just to make sure everythings going ok.

If there is no sign of any leaks then it would be fairly safe to assume that the previous owner or the garage you bought the car from did not check it at all.

If possible, I'd take the car back to the garage and have them check over it just in case the low coolant has caused any problems.