PDA

View Full Version : Tow hitch

92 squadron
15th April 2012, 18:17
I have an ABLE pressed steel tow hitch fitted to my caravan [Elddis Elf 14ft] The towing bar shaft is 50mm dia and is fixed to it with two bolts one vertical the other horizontal.
My question is what other tow hitch can I raplace it with as the ones I have seen all appear to have two horizontal bolts for fixing.
Any advice greatfully recieved will be acknowledged.
Regards

tdi90
15th April 2012, 19:35
Hi, what year is your c/van?

tdi90
15th April 2012, 19:44
http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/handbooks/aks-3004-handbook.pdf

The above link is the fitting instructions for an Alko hitch, which can be fitted either way (2 bolts through the side or 1 through the top and 1 through the side)

92 squadron
15th April 2012, 20:48
Hi, what year is your c/van?

'bout 1996/7

Roverowner
16th April 2012, 07:12
The Al-Co ones are great, though expensive. Should be able to pick a decent one up from ebay. Maybe a second hand Al-Co. Whatīs wrong with yours...

gefary
16th April 2012, 08:50
I found a brand new one "boxed" on ebay
It's a "Stabifix" . As it was listed under stabiliser :stabifix I must have been the only person who found it :D
Stabifix AKA Winterhoff
Ģ30 well spent.

Roverowner
16th April 2012, 09:25
Trouble with most of the modern ones is that they are made up of steel plate. I have old Winterhoffs on my old vans and they are forged iron. The MOT guys usually donīt even look at it. Once, a new boy was having a look and this older collegue told him not to bother as it was solid and would last 100 years or more. Didnīt know that Winterhoff still existed... Stabifix mmm interesting.

92 squadron
16th April 2012, 11:36
I found a brand new one "boxed" on ebay
It's a "Stabifix" . As it was listed under stabiliser :stabifix I must have been the only person who found it :D
Stabifix AKA Winterhoff
Ģ30 well spent.

Doesn't help me!:shrug:

Roverowner
16th April 2012, 11:40
There are quite a lot on ebay. Have a trawl around:)

gefary
16th April 2012, 13:35
Doesn't help me!:shrug:

Not sure if I am just being smug, or if I was point to another make of stabilised towhook;)

tdi90
16th April 2012, 13:51
Mike, I took my van for a test tow today (first time behind the ZT and WOW! :D). I checked my alko hitch stabilizer and can deffo confirm it has both types of fittings so it will fit your van.

If your gonna fit one yourself, read the instructions fully, as there are two shims that need to be used to drive out your old hitch bolts to keep the hitch damper in place. The shims hold the damper in place so the hitch can be removed, then put the new stabilized hitch on and drive the shims through with the new supplied bolts ;)

Also bare in mind that if you do fit an alko hitch you'll need an alko tow ball fitted to the car as well (the neck is longer than normal ones)

92 squadron
17th April 2012, 19:35
Problem now solved [for what ever it was] The whole tow hitch etc is German. ABLE stands for- "A. Berndes Luebbecke" The tow hitch is OK but was in a bit of a quandery as to which Hitch lock to get as well as if I wanted to change it would an ALCO one fit. The real problem I have discovered is that the brake damper realy wants changing. The reason being is that on sharp braking I get a good jolt up the back end. Found out these dampers are quite expensive. Will explore this problem later.
Thanks for the advice to all.:getmecoat:
Regards