PDA

View Full Version : Trailer hitch small problem

spiny
17th April 2012, 11:29
Have now fitted a detachable swan neck towball, and have used it to tow single axle small boat trailers with no issues.

I have just acquired a twin axle box trailer, not massive, and it has an alko stabiliser hitch on it.
I am having real trouble connecting the hitch, it looks like the towball sits too low for the hitch, have to lift the back of the car, and push down catching it just right for the hitch to lock over the lip on the ball. All a bit un-nerving.
Have looked and can't see any problems with rear springs, just been MOT'd, tyres changed and can't see any cracks, its a 75 tourer and they always look like they sit a bit low.

Would those grayston spring assistors lift it a tad, feels like it only needs to go up a cm or so.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.:bowdown:

Mark

tdi90
17th April 2012, 12:03
Spring assistors wont raise it up, they just cut down on the amount of sag when you load up the boot or hitch a trailer up. They also make the ride a tad harsh when not loaded or towing anything.

Have you checked the trailer has the correct tyres and wheels on?

spiny
17th April 2012, 13:52
Changing the wheels and tyres is going to be a fair bit of cash, which I don't have at the minute. :shrug:
Trailer went on fine when I picked it up, must have been the angle, can recreate that by putting trailer or car on slight ramp, but it doesn't get away from the problem that its not right!

HarryM1BYT
17th April 2012, 13:58
Your cars towball should be between 350 and 420mm as measured from the ground to the centre of the towball.

Maybe it is the trailer which is at fault. Its nose weight should be around 75Kg, but some of these types of trailer can be quite high at the hitch - maybe intended to be towed by a land rover.

spiny
17th April 2012, 14:25
This isn't looking good :shrug::mad:

HarryM1BYT
17th April 2012, 14:37
This isn't looking good :shrug::mad:

In what way?

When coupled up, the trailer should have a slight nose down attitude. By adjusting the jockey wheel you should be able to lower the hitch onto the towball.

spiny
17th April 2012, 15:03
Just measured the towball centre to floor is 385mm

Harry

Its the other way, the trailer hitch is held to high to drop onto the ball easily, its need a right old lift on the car side, and a timely down on the trailer. Doesn't judt drop on as all the other trailers I have had. The double axles hold it straight [not explaining this very well am I!!]

HarryM1BYT
17th April 2012, 15:29
Just measured the towball centre to floor is 385mm

Harry

Its the other way, the trailer hitch is held to high to drop onto the ball easily, its need a right old lift on the car side, and a timely down on the trailer. Doesn't judt drop on as all the other trailers I have had. The double axles hold it straight [not explaining this very well am I!!]

Maybe add a sack of sand at the front of the trailer?

spiny
17th April 2012, 15:40
Yes not explored that option, never had any load in it yet, and it won't have a great load when used, hog roast business going in there, so only a few hundred kilos max. :}

actros
17th April 2012, 19:19
Have now fitted a detachable swan neck towball, and have used it to tow single axle small boat trailers with no issues.

I have just acquired a twin axle box trailer, not massive, and it has an alko stabiliser hitch on it.
I am having real trouble connecting the hitch, it looks like the towball sits too low for the hitch, have to lift the back of the car, and push down catching it just right for the hitch to lock over the lip on the ball. All a bit un-nerving.
Have looked and can't see any problems with rear springs, just been MOT'd, tyres changed and can't see any cracks, its a 75 tourer and they always look like they sit a bit low.

Would those grayston spring assistors lift it a tad, feels like it only needs to go up a cm or so.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.:bowdown:

MarkHi Mark you will need a alco tow ball for it the alco ball hs deeper neck on it so a normal tow ball is no good. hope this helps you.

spiny
17th April 2012, 19:41
actros I have the swan neck type, and it has the required 60mm clearance alco require, so it 'should' be OK, I can't see a specific swan neck option to change.

Looks like the only option is smaller trailer wheels, surely not?

tdi90
18th April 2012, 06:10
Or fit lower profile tyres. Maybe the last owner put the wrong un's on. Part worn tyres are pretty cheap.