PDA

View Full Version : Caaravan levelling indicator

HarryM1BYT
14th May 2012, 14:19
For those of you, like me, who like to get their caravans level, but hate the messing about with the usual gadgets....

Annoyed with all of the problems of trying to get the sink, wash-basin and shower to all be able to properly drain - A few years ago I devised a simple electronic indicator gadget to do exactly that. When in use, the display hangs in the caravan fron window and is visible is both full daylight and in complete darkness, via the tow cars rear view mirror. You can put your levelling bock under a wheel and simply tow up it, to get your side to side level, then unhook from the car. You then adjust the jockey wheel to get the end to end level accurate, again watching the display.

Exactly the same prceedure as you would normally use, except there is no need to keep walking back to look at a bubble level and no more need for shouted instructions, because you have a highly visible display of level. It just makes the whole operation so much quicker and easier. You just get it precisely level once, calibrate my device to then show level - you can exactly reproduce the same level each and everytime you pitch. No more drainage issues ever again.

If anyone wants to build themselves one, the details are here....

http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/caravanning/LevelTool.htm

Free to use for none commercial reproduction.

trikey
14th May 2012, 18:38
Ohh I like!!

Will have to have a go at that :bowdown:

HarryM1BYT
14th May 2012, 18:51
Its a very simple idea, you could even use ordinary lamp bulbs, but the Superbight LED's are even visible in full daylight. Flexible 4x pair network cable is a good option for linking the 'sensor' to the display.

The wire upon which the bob weight hangs, needs to be thin enough to be very flexible, but still strong enough to hold the weight as it is bounced around on the road. The bob weight also needs to be accurately drilled down its centre, otherwise the weight will not hang evenly.